• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Mrs Meshugana was making meatloaf a couple nights ago, so I offered to smoke it. Truly loving my Green Mountain Grills pellet smoker with WiFi control...

Dinner was outstanding. She made gravy with the drippings. 

For lunch the next day, sliced and fried the meatloaf in butter and made open faced sandwiches. 

Btw - it feels good to be back!

E911E376-F0D1-4328-B259-BF8680A1B32A.jpeg

15A0792D-08B6-43DC-B334-5C758F05C21C.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

goodbye dinner for family as they leave for a few weeks in Maine.

Grilled shrimp coated with a thick paste of dijon mustard, fresh thyme leaves and olive oil.

string beans with mustard seeds and garlic and a caprese salad with buffalo mozz.

and 3 nice whites

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

11 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

Mrs Meshugana was making meatloaf a couple nights ago, so I offered to smoke it. Truly loving my Green Mountain Grills pellet smoker with WiFi control...

Dinner was outstanding. She made gravy with the drippings. 

For lunch the next day, sliced and fried the meatloaf in butter and made open faced sandwiches. 

Btw - it feels good to be back!

E911E376-F0D1-4328-B259-BF8680A1B32A.jpeg

15A0792D-08B6-43DC-B334-5C758F05C21C.jpeg

I'm sorry.  Did I miss my weekend invitation?😁

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

45 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

I'm sorry.  Did I miss my weekend invitation?😁

Must've gotten lost in the mail. Although, NJ is a long ways away, even in 'pre-pandemic' travel hours...

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

5 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

Must've gotten lost in the mail. Although, NJ is a long ways away, even in 'pre-pandemic' travel hours...

No worries.... just get the next one here on time.😅

and with those swoon worthy pizzas I'm still waiting for @liamsaunt's invitatioin to visit the cape .  I come bearing my own clam, oyster and scallop knife .... though I eat none of them any more.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

This is how saturday laziness looks like:

Oven fries & fried eggs for dipping. An odd sausage for extra protein 🤔

As a fresh accompaniment Gazpacho from the veggies in my fridge. Despite the minimum effort the family was happy ...

7451E2C7-21E1-4733-95CE-EEB5CAE324A9.thumb.jpeg.fd82f7ca1abbf4304e2367614aa0cdf0.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

15 minutes ago, rotuts said:

no such thing as an Odd Sausage 

Not actually true.    In France, we were joined by friends at dinner.    As I translated the menu , the husband could find nothing on the menu he would eat.   I finally came to andouillette.   "What's that?", he asked  "A kind of sausage." I answer.    "Great", he answers, "I love sausage!"    "Excellent", I reply.     He commented that it was the "strangest" sausage he'd ever eaten.   

• Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Weisswurst ?

Nope ... its a “Feine Bratwurst”, so a fine pre-boiled sausage (spiced, but not cured, though). Texture is a bit firmer than a Weisswurst, and it is made from pork alone. Tasty ...

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Not actually true.    In France, we were joined by friends at dinner.    As I translated the menu , the husband could find nothing on the menu he would eat.   I finally came to andouillette.   "What's that?", he asked  "A kind of sausage." I answer.    "Great", he answers, "I love sausage!"    "Excellent", I reply.     He commented that it was the "strangest" sausage he'd ever eaten.   

We took my sister and my brother in law out to a neighborhood bistro in the 20th Arrondissement in Paris some years ago. He wanted something “different”, so I suggested the andouilette, that was advertised on the blackboard. When some time later the server approached our table from behind him, he looked up and said “Wow ... someone must have left the toilet door open”. He soldiered through the andouilette, which was very much on the offal side of the spectrum, but refuses to discuss his experience until this day ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

We took my sister and my brother in law out to a neighborhood bistro in the 20th Arrondissement

A couple of decades ago Andouillette AAAAA was listed on the chalkboard of a bistro across from Notre Dame.    We decided to enter because of that offer and because several guys exiting told us how great their meal had been.    We were seated (in the English speaking room) and I ordered the A. AAAAA.    The waiter said, sorry, they were out.    I was disappointed and switched to some equally disappointing cotes d'agneau.    Only recently has it dawned on me that the waiter just sized me up and, protecting both me but mostly the house, refused to take my order.   Sure, I've had some Andouillette that made you rear back, but done right, like in white wine, they are interesting and delicious.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Whoever was the original of posting the zucchini carpaccio recipe I have to give you all the kudos for the idea.   So I copied it.   I also had some nice Bluefin tuna flown in from Maine, made a carpaccio with that also.    

Zucchini from my garden, salted, then tossed with lemon rind, lemon juice, sea salt, EVO (a really nice brand), pignoli, shaved reggiano and basil from the garden.   It was fantastic.  Genius combo and again kudos to originally posted it.  The key is....is to get a bite of everything because it just works so well together.

As for the Bluefin tuna, I got from Browne and Trading Co in Portland, sliced it into carpaccio, then drizzled with EVO, lemon, sea salt, cracked pepper, capers and sunflower seeds.

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Owtahear said:

Whoever was the original of posting the zucchini carpaccio recipe I have to give you all the kudos for the idea.   So I copied it.   I also had some nice Bluefin tuna flown in from Maine, made a carpaccio with that also.    

Zucchini from my garden, salted, then tossed with lemon rind, lemon juice, sea salt, EVO (a really nice brand), pignoli, shaved reggiano and basil from the garden.   It was fantastic.  Genius combo and again kudos to originally posted it.  The key is....is to get a bite of everything because it just works so well together.

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

I think it was our own "Steel Magnolia"   @Shelby  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160121-dinner-2020/?do=findComment&comment=2254651

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Owtahear said:

It was fantastic

Ohhhhh that looks so wonderful!  And the tuna.   I so wish Ronnie liked sushi....  I think the combo you did sounds like the perfect summer meal.  I'm so glad you tried it :) 

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

I thunk it was our own Steel Magnolia

🤣  

I love that movie

• Like 2

Still trying to get thru the blossoms and squash. Squash blossoms pizza with fresh mozzarella pearls, shaved zucchini, light tomato sauce, garlic oil, lemon zest and chile flakes. Also, sausage and pepperoni pizza.

E3F85483-37C6-4385-82C5-3390349C08C7.jpeg

383229D6-96B7-4737-9E98-798736762BC8.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3