• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

10 minutes ago, Franci said:

Thanks, @jedovaty, those are always in my freezer, like the cod from Costco and their scallops are the only frozen scallops I’d buy. I guess I need to wait for one more year to go to Spain or Italy for the kind of seafood I have in mind 😅

Hmm.. I'll give those a cautious try.  I'm a bit spoiled with fresh seafood having a Santa Monica Seafood outlet nearby, and also there's a grocery store near my work that carries some amazing fresh scallops sometimes (6-8 per pound they are HUGE!). 😛

1 minute ago, jedovaty said:

Hmm.. I'll give those a cautious try.  I'm a bit spoiled with fresh seafood having a Santa Monica Seafood outlet nearby, and also there's a grocery store near my work that carries some amazing fresh scallops sometimes (6-8 per pound they are HUGE!). 😛

Some of my local markets source from Santa Monica Seafood. Excellent vendor. I grew up with the Cigliano kids.

5 hours ago, scamhi said:

if you haven't been try d'Berto in O Grove Galicia

review with pictures of d'Berto

Every time I go back home, this is the place I go. It’s just a food shack  on the rocks, they  barely cook their fish. Oasi del Riccio, in Savelletri, Puglia. Riccio means sea urchin,  you can order a tray of 50 sea urchins for 35 euros, link to the menu in English here. Once you are used to this, all the rest is a pale comparison 😒

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 4

Yesterday was my birthday and I was planning to make a small beef tenderloin roast with a wine sauce and an apple cake.  I found out at the store that that roast cost $28.00/lb and changed my mind. I got a couple of ribeye steaks instead. I already bought the wine so made the sauce anyway but I didn't like it and threw it out.  Right about then Charlie asked me what I wanted to have for dinner and I asked if our favorite Korean restaurant had reopened yet. He said it was open for pick-up orders so i said that was what I wanted and it was a very nice dinner. The apple cake was dessert.  No pictures were taken.   The steaks got grilled today.

20200716_165759.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1

@kayb  - I think that I missed wishing you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

@RWood – thank you for the link for the potatoes.  I will be making those.  I would love to have them with @Duvel's roulade!

@shain – the khachapuri looks insanely good. I know that I’ve had one somewhere, but can’t imagine where. 

@Norm Matthews – Happy Birthday! (We seem to have LOTS of July birthdays at eG)

Leftover meatloaf means sandwiches.  Toasted cheese bread, BBQ sauce, Cheddar, and Durkee onions:

IMG_2844.thumb.jpg.200c2975daddc6abd972ac31630ef7d0.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg.c80f602e4a712a76be25841080a5f9cd.jpg

Along with yellow squash, broccoli salad, and the last of Mr. Kim’s gazpacho:

IMG_2843.thumb.jpg.98a859ddc84b97cc1c9f00954217d875.jpg

@Duvelshowed a picture of some really good looking spaghetti and meat sauce the other day in the lunch thread, I think.  I was swooning over it and Mr. Kim said he’d make some today:

IMG_2866.jpg.97e46404cbefa3afbd5359557e5a001c.jpg

It was so good and exactly what I wanted.  Salad and garlic bread made with cheese bread:

IMG_2863.jpg.970a6fd808eadf237d2c5563122ace67.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg.0efeb17475bb66e6b73caf92bdfd5e50.jpg

And Jessica brought over some home made ice cream that she bought from someone she knows:

IMG_2870.thumb.jpg.c0cee861de4f03792458382fece27f95.jpg

On the left is peaches and cream and on the right is smoked bourbon and peaches.  The peaches came from a friend who was driving up from Georgia.  The flavors were divine, but there was a bit of iciness like there almost always is in the homemade stuff.   

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 5

Last night was a stir fry to use aging occupants of the vegetable drawer. Broccoli, carrots, tofu, a shallot. I tossed the tofu cubes with some hoisin as they browned in the wok, which added nice color. A bit of bottled peanut/coconut sauce added near the end. Served with brown rice.

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Happy Birthdays to @kayb and @Norm Matthews!!

I had periodontal surgery on Wednesday.  Ugh.  Not supposed to eat anything with seeds, but oh HELL no I can't not eat tomatoes!!!  Hopefully I don't get myself in trouble lol.  Ronnie caught some catfish yesterday so I did some up in beer batter.

thumbnail_IMG_7998.jpg.66f62ad120bcf0db47dfbb19775fb634.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Rigatoni in rose sauce with blistered tomatoes, onion, lots of chives, Parmesan, a little vodka and garlic. This is one of my favorite pasta recpies, I've been making it for years. Not heavy on the cream, the onion and chives complement the taste, and the cherry tomatoes add texture and freshness. 

Served with semi-dry rose wine (pairs well, as the names suggests) and a simple vegetable salad.

IMG_20200711_152127_1.jpg

Edited to add recipe:

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

Our neighbour was out on his boat a couple of days ago and brought us back some of his salmon catch again. He's very generous that way! We had kind of a teriyaki salmon dinner, sandwiches for lunch the next day and quite a bit more in the freezer. #BestNeighbourEver  😄

IMG_20200715_201149.thumb.jpg.68b3227d2103f7d6dc09762d78d3f73c.jpg

Then last night we had pork cutlets made with panko crumbs.

IMG_20200716_192127.thumb.jpg.5fdb03987cc2b922b75a31e772f66b68.jpg

Nothing at all special about the way these meals were cooked or plated. I was quite busy trying to do other things while cooking and really needed to use up veggies as the new CSA box had arrived and the crisper drawers were full. We received the carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, beets, potatoes and parsley in the current or previous week! 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

25 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Our neighbour was out on his boat a couple of days ago and brought us back some of his salmon catch again. He's very generous that way! We had kind of a teriyaki salmon dinner, sandwiches for lunch the next day and quite a bit more in the freezer. #BestNeighbourEver  😄

IMG_20200715_201149.thumb.jpg.68b3227d2103f7d6dc09762d78d3f73c.jpg

Yes! Good neighbor award!  Just a bit jealous,

• Like 2

I found my freedom on Blueberry Hill when I found you................actually in a bowl of Hainanese Chicken Rice on Singapore Hill.

First place I had Hainanese Chicken Rice was in Singapore and got addicted immediately until I went to Malaysia and started tearing up.....

This one I enjoyed lovingly. The Chicken sliced over the rice and the Chicken broth on the side to be enjoyed as such or poured over the chicken.

To complicated the taste buds, four sauces were served which now gives a mind scratching number of combinations and permutations.

Chicken and rice mixed with chicken broth and ginger sauce and sweet soya sauce and tamarind sauce and sambal sauce....

gPwqdom.jpg

and of course Dessert to reach Umami Nirvana in the guise of Sticky Coconut Rice Mango and Pandan Crepe with Coconut Ice Cream

3iRUcJJ.jpg

rvVx0X1.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

At the butcher that had a suckling pig roll, which is essentially the deboned belly and back in one piece, connected by the still attached skin. I scored the meat, rubbed rosemary, fennel, lemon zest, chili, garlic & salt in, rolled the whole thing up and SV for 24h @ 68oC. Roasted in the oven to get a lovely suckling pig porchetta ...

5507BC89-4F49-42E5-A10B-1E553E4C6FB6.thumb.jpeg.ec24cafb6378e462c7b283ad79055b0c.jpeg

A pizza bianca to go with it ...

A4350014-6EA8-4F65-9921-0C858C85CE6D.thumb.jpeg.1eace63efb88947bcfd042725d65d701.jpeg

Final assembly with baby spinach and a sauce made from two whole grain mustards & the bag juices. 

ED5D462B-7852-4CE0-BAB8-372226E86BB9.thumb.jpeg.340e8278b40096e9a311606f4065233c.jpeg

Very simple, very good !

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

Total pantry meal...Ro-Tel Mexican style tomatoes with cilantro and lime; canned chickpeas; pouch of tuna in oil. Eating it at room temp.

9F231071-1B5C-4024-9E19-F7EA7B9B76EA.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde