• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Got into my birthday charcuterie, which necessitated a trip to the cheese section.

20200713_170945.thumb.jpg.35ed126607b08ad09692693bcde60fda.jpg

Gorgonzola dolce, Reading, a young Gouda, and a bloomy rind goat cheese whose name I forget. Three kinds of olives, two kinds of pickles. Preserved walnuts. I sampled the nduja (it's hot!); the sopressata and the chorizo.

Good stuff.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Tomorrow I need to do some shopping for vegetable and protein! No, charcuterie we are covered 😁 I baked some bread and some pizza bianca in teglia, made mung bean salad, stir-fried broccoli stalks and carrots, marinated cucumber, edamame, and a small piece of sockeye salmon and of picanha. 

FC3E301E-9CE3-4A72-8585-4E555729E8B4.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Disclaimer: All crispy skin was consumed in a 'family pick' fresh out of the oven. 

As is right and proper.

In my household for the past several years, I have (sadly) been the only enthusiast for chicken skin and have been forced to consume it all personally. One does as one must...

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@liamsaunt – all of your food is beautifully prepared, plated, and photographed.  But the scallop rolls that you make just make me crave scallops. 

@weinoo – a lamb, rice, and Caesar dinner just sounds so perfect.  I make many brown plates – Mr. Kim always notices and announces them. 

@scamhi – Happy Birthday.  I think an assortment of King crab legs is the perfect celebratory meal!

@Dejah – HI!  So glad to see you. 

@Shelby – those loaves of bread!  That BLT!  Those fries!  Wow.

@RWood– do you possibly have a link that is NOT CI website recipe for those potato cakes?  They look outstanding.  If not, could you give us the actual name of the recipe?  Thanks so much.

@Katie Meadow- <<hugs>>  this is a bitch of a year.  Last week was my first birthday without my mom in the world.  I was doing ok, but suddenly I’m feeling everything that has been missing from our lives in the past few months.  Thanks so much for expressing what you did.

@Ann_T– escargot!!!   I do not eat mushrooms, but when that is the only way the escargot comes, I go ahead and order and eat the snails.  Mr. Kim and Jessica are always ready to relieve me of the fungus!  Along with various seafood, escargot are among my top five.  Should I feel guilty that ALL of my favorite foods are living creatures?

@robirdstx – that salad is right up my alley!  Visibly crunchy lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, shredded cheese, and creamy dressing!  Perfection.

July 9th was my birthday.  Mr. Kim brought dinner home from a place called Hobnob.  Pimento cheese with housemade chips (I cut up the bread so Jessica could eat it – she had dental surgery the day before):

IMG_2793.jpg.25aefd29faba71f064f06b801036a694.jpg

The pimento cheese tasted good, but was a little dry.  It needed more mayo.  Crab hush puppies with remoulade:

IMG_2794.jpg.50f513df554c0f01a4d800881b3afe88.jpg

These were kind of a fail.  The crabmeat was a very small part of the hush puppies and the puppies themselves weren’t really good hush puppies. 

Mr. Kim got the Fried Chicken Cobb Salad:

IMG_2796.jpg.1c03bc7d42c0684bbf2aa82d85c68109.jpg

Fried chicken breast, mixed greens, avocado, sweet corn, tomato, applewood smoked bacon, sliced egg, bleu cheese crumbles, buttermilk ranch dressing.  These was very good.  Made us want to try the family fried chicken sometime. 

Jessica and I got the crabcakes for two:

IMG_2797.thumb.jpg.1f6b3b06501b9e72c8890fec39337612.jpg

With potato salad (too much dill) and slaw (too much celery seed).  The crabcakes were perfect.  Bite:

IMG_2798.jpg.ebee4717d64454ce73f1c3122aef8fc6.jpg

That morning, my MIL brought over what is pretty much my favorite cake – chocolate with 7-minute frosting:

IMG_2802.jpg.a22e01ee18c5cf3db1a511e2fe5585a6.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg.a37ab2bee13b69baabef4d576d01ddf6.jpg

It was delicious!

I have a sketchy history with meatloaf. I couldn’t make them for years. Then, suddenly, I started having success. That lasted a few years. Then in 2019, I made one using a tried and true recipe and it was back to failure. The loaf basically spread all over the pan and fell apart. So, I tried this recipe with some trepidation. I baked it shaped into a loaf on a baking sheet as instructed (I don’t care for loafs that cook soaking in the grease that results) and it did spread some. But after a 15-minute rest it cut fine and tasted great.  Going in the oven:

IMG_2816.jpg.2b3432a93fef5f767feca71600247214.jpg

Out of the oven:

IMG_2818.jpg.dcb428cfb2aec326e86b80bb23c2115d.jpg

I don’t know if you can see how much it has spread.  A lot of the stuff at the edges is that inedible (at least to me) beef goo that leaches out of a burger sometimes.  I don’t know what it is, but it has the texture of pudding and feel icky.  Slice after sitting for 15 minutes:

IMG_2819.jpg.185c2ed83c5de08c2c813f1be73acbf4.jpg

Plate:

IMG_2822.jpg.f98d25ade8c6f8fe05226a9c08d0b536.jpg

Meatloaf with broccoli salad, mac and cheese, and extra sauce.  Also corn:

IMG_2821.jpg.e4a6c1193e9d7515f50ba7b7ad7bf353.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

I'm behind on posting :P

Had family for dinner.

Grilled meats cooked by my brother (Romanian style kebabs and chicken breast).

Lentil salad with Tunisian flavors - pickled lemon, olives, chili, garlic, paprika, cumin, parsley, lemon, olive oil.

Fire roasted eggplants with tahini, tomatoes, chilies, silan, mint.

Crispy potatoes, spice mix includes paprika, cumin, turmeric, garlic, nutritional yest, chili. Some breadcrumbs added for extra crispness

Vegetable salad, flatbreads, tahini sauce, beer, pickles and hot sauces.

Dessert was chocolate sponge cake with mashed banana & chocolate chip whipped cream (whipped cream mixed with bananas and banana extract). Banana slices.

IMG_20200704_112028.jpg

IMG_20200704_130518.jpg

IMG_20200704_130843.jpg

IMG_20200704_140504.jpg

IMG_20200705_153625.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

@Kim Shook 

Happy B.D. ay !

you had some Killer   fantastic   take out !

Ive noted all those dipping receptacles !

now on o the Cake :   its what its about !

I noted there was plenty of frosting : esp between the layers

Seasoned Cake aficionados know its about the frosting 

esp  between the layers   Good Job !

then I thought , all the food had dipping small containers

why not a medium container , for each slice of Cake

w extra frosting ?

Seen here on eG for the first time !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T– escargot!!!   I do not eat mushrooms, but when that is the only way the escargot comes, I go ahead and order and eat the snails.  Mr. Kim and Jessica are always ready to relieve me of the fungus!  Along with various seafood, escargot are among my top five.  Should I feel guilty that ALL of my favorite foods are living creatures?

@Kim Shook, I have a vegetarian son who tries to make me feel guilty.   It isn't working. 

Made Firecracker Prawns for dinner tonight. 

478837121_FirecrackerPrawnsreadyfortheovenJuly14th20201.thumb.jpg.e5f12d92f161e4c51494b313e189ea88.jpg

Fresh BC spotted prawns. Ready for the oven.

197912503_FirecrackerPrawnsjustoutoftheovenJuly14th20201.thumb.jpg.2d1bbb1bdc7ffd28fbbef76fe0aadecc.jpg

1003737984_FirecrackerPrawnsplatedJuly20th2020.thumb.jpg.97cef535092ba274ab6a55ee547ca629.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Simple dinner for one. Shrimp with black garlic and garlic scapes with spaghetti.

Interesting. How did you find the fresher garlic taste of the scapes combined with the sweeter funkier taste of the black? I will confess to never having used black garlic. I love the market frenzy hen the fresh scapes are piled up and the ladies are elbowing to get the absolute freshest.

I've been having a yen for baked ziti with spinach and tomato.

Bought all the ingredients and today's the day.  So what if it's going to be almost 

90ºF here.  Bless the air conditioning.

I literally wither in the heat.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, lindag said:

I've been having a yen for baked ziti with spinach and tomato.

Bought all the ingredients and today's the day.  So what if it's going to be almost 

90ºF here.  Bless the air conditioning.

It's 35ºC / 95ºF here. Has been for weeks and will remain so through September - may get higher on the way.

But cooking continues. Thank god, Chinese cooking is generally very rapid so I melt for a few minutes and life goes on.

I have no air-con.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto