• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Yesterday was quite a cool day, so it was no hardship to use the big oven and cook a small rib roast along with a mix of local veggies. And it's such an easy meal to make, too! Plus, we have leftover roast beef for beef dip sandwiches. 

IMG_20200711_194634.thumb.jpg.6df1f9aea6a38747ab6aa576f55fa78b.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

I like burgers but I like classic burgers and classic Hot Dogs exception made for the Chicago Dogs which are a league of their own.

It seems that even burgers nowadays have submitted to the awe of wannabe chefs to the extend that Michelin starred restaurants switched to burgers during lock-down.

I was violently subjected to one such eatery and I get aggravated when the bacon and sauce taint my beautiful clothes.

This is a pic of the chicken burger ordered by our friend with the name of Katsu Sando which I had to look up and discovered that  Sando stands for sandwich in Japan as maybe the word sandwich has colonial connotations......you never know, and Katsu can be anything from chicken to pork pankoed and fried.....I do not eat fried chicken banned by my shrink.

K7ItGTY.jpg

and then..........disaster struck as a meal is never complete without a dessert for me. And there I was contemplating a disgusting looking dessert under the watchful and piercing eyes of my better half............ An Ice Cream burger for crying out loud. Utterly revolting in visual and taste as I chose the Strawberry Cheesecake version.  And no I did not eat the stupid bun and this is the first time in my life I was served Ice Cream with a knife and fork.

You have been warned.....do not scroll down.....

PTlsam7.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, heidih said:

@Nicolai Sometimes it is just the experience - you have a horror story to share around the fire pit

The barbies pit were quite tame but the partying was Hotter than Wasabi.............

O7buLYy.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Haven't had a steak in probably a year. Picked up a ribeye, made a compound butter. Roasted Vidalia onions, and made potato cakes a la Cook's Illustrated.  

My mother is not a big meat eater, and if she has beef, WELL done 😑😕. Oh well.  Probably why we don't have it much. 

8792595B-762F-4E53-A350-F370493A8591.jpeg

5CF62BFB-0D4A-4ACB-A834-B9E1B28EB1ED.jpeg

58244E56-31BE-4CEC-A5A2-78B630BA0805.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

Nothing like our east coast littlenecks.

Nope, nothing. My favorite clam of all time. I'm so envious! Those ones upthread in the bowl look so fresh and perfect. Whine, whine. I miss the east coast, I miss my dead father who used to take us clamming. I miss my dead mother who lived three block's from Central Park but was convinced that it was still dangerous in 2012 and lived thirty years without going into the park. I miss taking her out for linguini and clams and vermentino at my family's favorite birthday place.You wouldn't think a picture of a bowl of clams could send a person into a tailspin, but there it is; this is a most dangerous year. I have my husband for company and neither of us has the virus and I have a constant flow of reading material. Okay, eat some clams for me and stay healthy.

• Like 9

23 hours ago, Steve R. said:

Happy Birthday.  Lucky I didn’t see Wu’s delivery car coming down the street - it may not have reached your place.

FYI, they don't deliver, you have to pick it up.

• Like 2

dinner last night was grilled Vietnamese inspired marinated grilled chicken thighs- lemongrass, lime zest, fish sauce, soy sauce and a little brown sugar. With the Thai tomato and cucumber salad from the NY Times and roasted cauliflower. We were 6 people and we drank these wines.

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

13 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Moe asked for escargot so............
that is what he got............

Escargot in Mushroom caps.

Interesting textural pairing. Do you enjoy it? 

On 7/12/2020 at 10:59 AM, Shelby said:

@liamsaunt  Could you tell me how you make that zucchini salad?

I found the recipe in the current issue of Cook's Country magazine.  To paraphrase:

Trim three zucchini and cut them in half lengthwise.  Sear for three minutes a side in some olive oil.  Cut into pieces.  Make a dressing from a minced shallot, juice of half a lemon, a clove of garlic, 1 tsp. fresh thyme, a good pinch of red pepper flakes, salt to taste, and 1/4 cup olive oil.  Pour this over the zucchini and marinate it at room temperature for an hour.  Top with shaved parmesan cheese.

15 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Nope, nothing. My favorite clam of all time. I'm so envious! Those ones upthread in the bowl look so fresh and perfect. Whine, whine. I miss the east coast, I miss my dead father who used to take us clamming. I miss my dead mother who lived three block's from Central Park but was convinced that it was still dangerous in 2012 and lived thirty years without going into the park. I miss taking her out for linguini and clams and vermentino at my family's favorite birthday place.You wouldn't think a picture of a bowl of clams could send a person into a tailspin, but there it is; this is a most dangerous year. I have my husband for company and neither of us has the virus and I have a constant flow of reading material. Okay, eat some clams for me and stay healthy.

I have five more weeks booked in Wellfleet this summer (we cancelled all of our flight based vacations for 2020) and promise to eat enough littleneck clams for both of us 🙂

Last night, chicken shawarma

515821022_chickenshawarma.thumb.jpg.0fab51a3acd329b4d478b7cf8bb94277.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Tori Paitan Ramen, ajitsuke tamago, chashu, nori - sometimes it just has to be (even though you prep for about three hours and eat in about 5 minutes). 

5AC56A67-A72E-494E-A7FD-62C99313083F.thumb.jpeg.ad91f4ebd9327da98470355a32df6b2d.jpeg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Franci said:

Childhood food, I just need to find decent frozen peas, because these were not good 

Franci, I find (as do many chefs) that frozen Bird's Eye or Green Giant BABY SWEET PEAS are quite good. It's one of those products where, in most cases, they're better than fresh peas, unless you're going out to your backyard and picking them that day.

In fact, I almost always have a bag or two in my freezer.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?