• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Have you ever tried making just one or two things (it's known that there are food allergies) and see what happens?

I would think if people get hungry enough, they'll eat.

Oh no. Even teenage boys will walk away. I loved being the short order cook. Some of the goobers still remember my off the cuff creations and they learned to cook as well so not all take-away when they went on their own.  :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scamhi said:

live king crab served 3 ways ,

IMG_1668.jpg

Happy Birthday!

Sorry to rain on the parade, but your crabs look dead to me - utterly delicious; but dead, nonetheless - 😛- probably better that way for the GI tract!

@Franci - Great tip on the frozen flowers.  Not sure I would ever have enough to freeze, but something to remember for sure.  I probably could freeze some of the 2 dozen or so I have in the fridge ready to be fried tonight....but; why on earth would I!? lol

@RWood - I have used goat cheese to stuff as well, comes out nicely too. 

I would urge anyone with a plant to try cooking some of the younger leaves.  They are really delicious (and I bet super healthy too!).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Oh no. Even teenage boys will walk away. I loved being the short order cook. Some of the goobers still remember my off the cuff creations and they learned to cook as well so not all take-away when they went on their own.  :)

They'll walk away - until they're hungry enough. Shit - I was cooking for myself (and some others) when I was 14.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Not the best photo, but, Pan seared salmon with polenta and a warm tomato salad. Sauteed zucchini (what else? 🤦‍♀️) and one of the seared scallops I made for my mom since she doesn't eat fish. 

281CA0E0-B5C4-4AAD-B3F7-98B5FD766F7C.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

48 minutes ago, weinoo said:

They'll walk away - until they're hungry enough. Shit - I was cooking for myself (and some others) when I was 14.

Oh they were walking to market at that age to get stir-fry cheap beef. I did not interfere or intervene.I just smiled so much my cheeks hurt. We won;t talk about driving age and knowing enough not to get pulled over cuz ya did stuff. Walking works.

Pork loin chop, thick, cooked on the PAG with a maple bourbon glaze.  Served with grilled summer squash, carrots and celery, also on the PAG.  Glass of Lodi Cab and compressed watermelon for dessert.

pork-chop-pag.jpg.2953847015f8c4a23eb38df46d5038bc.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

What's happened to time? Stuck at home and the garden most days, and wow! I've been AWOL for a long spell.
Am looking back on all the meals, and they are all super delicious!

Actually, I've been afraid to log on as I end up spending wayyyy too much time looking at everyone's food.
My kids gave me a 6 month subscription to Cratejoy for Mother's Day.. I am a hard person to shop for!
The one they picked was Spice Madam. It's really a waste of money for what comes in the boxes: several small bags  with a couple of tbsp of special spice blends, recipe cards for 4 or 5 dishes, and music that comes in an email - for a particular country.
The first one was Brazil. I made the vegetarian feijoada, but added cubed pork, spicy chorizo. It's a simplified version of the traditional version that I made one weekend for my Brazilian exchange students.

feijoada1702.jpg.49b5951d201ed8bdac10cfa7c47926c0.jpg

Picked up fresh produce at a regular vegetable stand yesterday. Had a seasoned turkey breast that I picked up at Safeway a couple of months back. It's Granny's brand and in cryovac.
I coated it with Panko crumbs and cooked it in the Ninja Foodie Air-fryer. Enjoyed the crispy coating and tender juicy meat with baby carrots, beets and potatoes.

1866616003_NinjaFoodieTurkeyBreast1723.jpg.8f466f313814c9da74dd4a579d46b84a.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I had some cabbage and other things left over from CSA box, so decided to make cabbage rolls, which isn't something I do often at all. They were tasty enough but not exactly beautiful. We shared these:

IMG_20200709_194234.thumb.jpg.08beb3970e1df57aa947ba14fbf639ef.jpg

But I had leftover meat/rice mix plus extra tomato sauce, so we had stuffed peppers the next night. I thought of @rotutsand decided to avoid using green peppers, though. 😇😃

IMG_20200710_193159.thumb.jpg.4d565d52347f5d7144cc5776c2d2905c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, scamhi said:

All came from Wu's Wonton King in NYC.

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

First of all - Happy Birthday!  Second, I know what that crab costs at Wu's, and I'm glad to see your wine matching up with it. Too bad you couldn't be sitting around a big, round table at Wu's, but your wine is probably at a better temp at home. Though much fun has been had with wine at Wu's.

6 hours ago, MokaPot said:

@weinoo, your Caesar salad looks really good and wilted down, looks sauteed, almost. Can you give your recipe & say how you made it? TIA.

Thank you! Heat had nothing to do with the salad, though; perhaps just the light? It's a Caesar like dressing, only missing the coddled egg (and croutons, obv.).

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Happy birthday @scamhi! Looks very good. Big crab fans in this house. 

Yesterday dinner I fried some calamari and french fries and since I was frying and I needed to consume some soft tofu I did the flour/egg/panko on it and fried it as well. Since I don’t eat much fried food, the healthy nut I am, I did some shiritaki noodles for me with some of the squids. Really tasty...and I love the texture of shiritaki. 

Tonight, big migrane, not in the mood for cooking. I had lentil soup leftover from lunch, that went to husband and son, daughter got 2 hot dogs, my buns were in the freezer,  some crudités and my plate, the only one I took a photo: endive, a chickpea burger from the freezer (last one! tomorrow I need to make something different to keep in the freezer), cave aged gruyere from Cotsco, those wonderful arbequina olives I got from the Spanish store the other day and a little of Serrano loin. 

1FDA3CA0-EE46-4E47-83A8-14EAA81055EE.jpeg

8147D74F-5B0B-4D0C-B815-5A7CDADD15FF.jpeg

52623F90-7985-4B0A-A0B3-F7A05B3966F1.jpeg

56A4BA90-61F4-485D-8CAC-F710D32AA938.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

21 hours ago, KennethT said:

@scamhi Happy birthday!  How did the crab hold up over delivery?  It looks great.  I'm always wary of ordering fish/seafood for delivery because I'm afraid it's going to overcook itself on the trip over.

the steamed version and crab fried rice held up well. The dry fried version dod not travel as well. this crab was never from and prepared live. the texture is much different than eating frozen king crab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, KennethT said:

@scamhi Happy birthday!  How did the crab hold up over delivery?  It looks great.  I'm always wary of ordering fish/seafood for delivery because I'm afraid it's going to overcook itself on the trip over.

Happy Birthday.  Lucky I didn’t see Wu’s delivery car coming down the street - it may not have reached your place.

• Haha 3

706C9932-C1C5-467D-961D-5C7597057A6C.thumb.jpeg.2d3ef6f40213ecca18f87f9e64ab2070.jpeg

Pork Baby Back Ribs - rubbed with salt, pepper and chili powder - then covered and held in the fridge for 4 hours.

3B25032E-7686-4328-B759-18017612FCE4.thumb.jpeg.3a866d1a358614b04206bf6609cb07c1.jpeg

Covered and Oven Baked at 425F for an hour and a half with a bit of soy sauce and chicken broth in the pan.

9DBAA17C-0BEB-4908-9056-54D499510BC0.thumb.jpeg.6662e4a03bc11af223e877bc80e8b526.jpeg

Then brushed with BBQ sauce.

1698EB28-1EFA-4823-999E-9838D3E55004.thumb.jpeg.2be76c5736715da29c93708d17dab828.jpeg

Wrapped tight in foil and returned to a 225F oven for another hour.

2AF3781D-8CA6-4A18-BCB0-796DA3F73F63.thumb.jpeg.0ba97beaf85c96e47a962ab0246e8c04.jpeg

We shared one half for dinner last night. The other half will be for dinner tonight.

3BEC3DDF-76E4-4F23-8EFC-20F2DFAEB25E.thumb.jpeg.eb0372689366250205d5b93aef8f327b.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx
Corrected oven temp. (log)
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

On 7/10/2020 at 4:29 PM, FauxPas said:

I'd never heard of a sonker, but it looks tasty! I looked it up, similar to a cobbler I guess and would work with various fruits. Do you have a favourite recipe, @liamsaunt? Thanks! 

This was the first time I made a sonker.  It is a recipe from America's Test Kitchen.

On 7/11/2020 at 7:33 AM, weinoo said:

Have you ever tried making just one or two things (it's known that there are food allergies) and see what happens?

I would think if people get hungry enough, they'll eat.

It does not bother me to cook multiple things.  There are things I won't eat too, plus my sister assists with prep and clean up (she would cook the full dinners but I like to do it and it is my house 🙂 ).  My nephew is starting to learn to cook as well.  His dorm (assuming they can actually go back) will have a kitchen in the fall, and he wants to be able to make most of his meals.  Today he is learning how to make chicken shawarma, and later this week he is learning how to make naan.  

Marinated zucchini salad

1225749839_marinatedzucchinisalad.thumb.jpg.732fee61229b81a8cfd6a6d86054105d.jpg

Steamed littlenecks that we brought back from the Cape

clams.thumb.jpg.bfb8056a5af52f2e9f0ad0fdf8093e3c.jpg

I made key lime bars for the teens for dessert

2009891737_keylimebars.thumb.jpg.16e6622a35e2265d4c71b4dee65bcbce.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 3