• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

5 hours ago, TicTac said:

01594846-A038-4FFB-BD6D-6B2A1819620B.thumb.jpeg.442da3ffd8c16cb0d7cdf1282f93945d.jpeg

The most important part of tonight’s dinner....zucchini flowers!  This rendition sautéed with scapes, baby purple onions and a bit of lemon at the end. 

Nice!. One of my guys left me with a zuke flower memory. His mom in. lean times used only the flowers in quesadillas - no dairy. There is a great scene in Tortilla Soup wher Hector Elizondo makes squash flower soup. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This is a style of blintz that I'm not familiar with but which looks fabulous!   While I could imagine their filling, can you point us toward a more reliable recipe?    I will definitely do these!   

Actually there's no filling in those - the cheese and flavorings are in the batter (I've now edited the post to mention this).

Here's the recipe:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

~ Shai N.

Thick boneless pork loin chop, cooked on the PAG, glazed with maple syrup.  Served with grilled carrots and celery, also on the PAG.  Grilled celery?  I know, but we got a double shipment of celery yesterday in our Amazon order and we already had some, so I'm trying to think of ways to use it up.  I googled Grilled Celery and evidently lots of folks like it.  I have to agree it was excellent.  (You celery haters, stand down!)  Olive oil, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders may have helped. 

pork-chop-car.jpg.ad7c7f8a6f7fee925604af9244979e23.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@KennethT – I really like the look of your duck.  It looks more like medium than rare, which I cannot bear. 

@robirdstx– I always like the look of your fried rice!

@liamsaunt – the clams look so good.  One of my favorite meals!

@Norm Matthews– lovely looking lasagna!  I’ve been craving it for a few weeks now (of COURSE I have – it’s almost 90F outside😁).

@Shelby – your pizza looks and sounds delicious.  But I’m afraid there is some fungal infection and perhaps even GANGRENE! 😝

Mr. Kim found a description for copycat Chick-Fil-A sandwiches using Aldi frozen fried boneless chicken breasts:

IMG_2677.jpg.90a7767282456b9471d997f979ef7b6f.jpg

Served with slaw and frozen fries.  It was a good sandwich – we couldn’t find any brioche rolls, so we ended up with Hawaiian rolls – good, but too big.  This chicken is actually very good – real pieces of chicken breast, crisp and thin breading, and not at all greasy.  And then Mr. Kim read my mind.  I almost never crave ice cream.  I like it just fine, but if I want dessert, it is usually candy or baked goods of some sort.  But after dinner I kept thinking about a hot fudge sundae.  I didn’t say ANYTHING, but about an hour after dinner Mr. Kim says, “let’s go”.  I asked where.  He says, “ice cream”.  Wow.  So, a hot fudge sundae with chocolate chocolate chunk and nutty coconut ice creams:

IMG_2682.thumb.jpg.7c86fddfc2d01424d4a2b28e4c6c63e0.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

@Kim Shook, I'd say a husband who can read your mind on an unspoken dessert is a real treasure. :)  That sundae looks wonderful! 

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Still alive and kicking on the plant based diet... Last night I made my own Seitan.  Chickpea flour, Vital Wheat Gluten and some spices, mainly my tears.  Mixed it up into a dough, made a broth of soy sauce, sweet soy, sugar,  xaoxing cooking wine, kombu, some other fun things.. The broth was amazing.. 

Various Mushroom and thin slices of seitan. 

50063291023_7fb50c7efa.jpg

Cooked in the broth that I made simmered the seitan in... Then added rice noodles. It was really good

50063291008_d12b1842e0.jpg

Simple salad with yuzu, soy, sesame... Refreshing. Lovely dressing actually. 

50063284253_2f4f4f698d.jpg

• Like 10

just a vegan joke, i am over a month in... In all actuality, i am sitting here reading about dry aging beef at home.  And while I miss cooking meat, I don't miss eating it just yet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, BKEats said:

just a vegan joke, i am over a month in... In all actuality, i am sitting here reading about dry aging beef at home.  And while I miss cooking meat, I don't miss eating it just yet. 

Losing meat isn't hard.   Much of the most delicious world food is meatless.   The most difficult part is social; food interaction with friends and family,, serving two meals when your guests include an unmovable force, offering enough acceptable options.    I always asked son his girlfriends' eating habits before he brought them home since so many were veg or vegan.  

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

I do consider myself lucky in this regard as, I am a  good cook and live in a city that is incredibly accommodating to any diet.. But when I was in the suburbs of chicago last week, it felt very under served..  My hotel had no options outside of fruit, the restaurants in the area only had fries or avocado slices with chips and a side order of potatoes.. There were two restaurants that had vegan food with fast food style dining.. I am sure after a few days of eating falafel and vegan cheesesteaks, it would get old quick. 

I had friends over the other day and made everything vegan and just tossed them a steak..   They were unaware that the meal up until; we had separate entrees were vegan.  And even though they liked the dry aged medium rare steaks, the sides were clearly the best thing served. 

But yeh, eating vegan just involves more cooking and more skill I think.. It's very easy and very rewarding to just throw a chicken in the oven, or a piece of meat on the grill.  You have to work a little more and the vegetables need more care. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 4

On 7/1/2020 at 12:14 PM, rotuts said:

@scamhi 

""  had left over crozes hermitage ""

sorry you were not feeingl that well that other day.

hope you have recovered.

we are hitting it pretty hard daily. Cocktails, pretty often,  preceed wine

Edited by scamhi
edited to fix proceed for preceed (log)
  • Like 1

Oysters that we got takeout from the fish market at the end of the road (we ordered more than this picture)

oysterd.thumb.jpg.204c6dbd0cc89b6632f61ba177ec9e15.jpg

Then I made scallop rolls and warm lobster rolls for dinner for the grownups.  Nephew had pasta with pesto, and niece had brie sandwich with grapes on the side.

lobster.thumb.jpg.8d0a10f4a8ba70d2c9001960ee322808.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Ripe summer tomatoes, freshly-sliced red onion, freshly-picked-then-chopped basil; good romaine lettuce; grilled marinated artichoke hearts from Trader Joe's. Cubes of last week's bread, toasted until dry. Red wine vinegar vinaigrette, heavy on oregano. 

20200701_215026.jpg

There would also have been mozzarella pearls, slices of salami and proscuitto, and slices of freshly-baked sourdough bread on the side, but at some point my darling woke up and said, "where's the meat!?" We had grilled smoked Polish sausages instead. He grilled them, so I can't complain about extra work.

Still. This hybrid salad (inspired by 2 recipes, thwarted by 1 husband) was darned good. I hope tomorrow's leftovers live up to the original.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Canada Day Pizza.

51633692_PlainCheesePizzaJuly1st2020.thumb.jpg.1a963c9f410345cc6ea2c0d183ad027c.jpg

605858364_PlainCheesePizzaJuly1st20201.thumb.jpg.e8b078eee304008b51e5a293ff77a6b9.jpg

Matt wanted a plain cheese and

1842105470_SausageandMushroomJuly1st20201.thumb.jpg.74f5894e562171fa62c240c4f19b7bf8.jpg

751166415_SausageandMushroomJuly1st2020.thumb.jpg.24fe5059096e703ed6b8cd5e51a393d2.jpg

Moe and I shared an Italian Sausage and Mushroom.

Hadn't fed my starter in about three weeks so fed it last night and used 70g of discard in a biga. Added it to a 1000g of flour this morning along with 1 gram of yeast. Hydration was 80%. I wanted a slow all day rise while I was at work.

Baked two large pizzas

1176271053_Baguettessourdoughbiga1gyeastJuly1st2020.thumb.jpg.7df189510d7eb08351807378fa0be455.jpg

and four baguettes.

• Like 18
  • Delicious 3

Ugly delicious tonight. I got lured by misleading grocery store steak again. The fat was a good inch thick, the meat maybe 1 cm. So I decided on Steak Sangas fat removed for me and the boy. Forgot I had 0 salad... he didn't mind 🤷‍♀️

Steak, Beetroot, King Island Cheddar and Onion with Spicy Tom Relish. 

Tried an internet thing where you butter bread before toasting. Won't do it again. My grill is probably uneven. 

20200702_205029.thumb.jpg.f4e2b0109690be2f41dbbf0b56393880.jpg

• Like 12

Some of the mushrooms from my recent delivery...

1149888086_Mushroomasparagusrisotto07-01.jpeg.d2e7d3665774d4b4780c4a23905d3fee.jpeg

made it into this mushroom and asparagus risotto we had for dinner last night. And an even recenter delivery...

1594293983_Mushroomasparagusrisottoandcorn07-01.jpeg.5e178070a13ba4caa6bc17bd436e4287.jpeg

brought some pretty tasty corn on the cob. Here, roasted in the steam girl, with some @rancho_gordo Stardust powder and butter.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?