• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

43 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

LOLOLOL!  The only problem is that Mr. Kim and Jessica would slap the plate away from them and get food everywhere and, since I was the prankster, I'd have clean up duty!  😄

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

CSO chicken leg, West Indian peas & rice, grilled zucchini & spring onion and fresh tomatoes.  The chicken was so moist and the onions a bit 'stringy'...should have chopped them up before putting them on the plate.

what temp/time did you use for the chicken leg?  What did you coat it with? I keep playing around with temp/time combos....

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Did you do that in the CSO or did you take all the stuff you were storing out of the regular oven and use that?

Oh I need to make some of that salad dressing from Norm now.  Looks really good.

LOL yeah, I did them in the CSO.  I'm too lazy to unload the oven except for when I make pizza.  I kind of followed this method but did it at a little less time each time.  The bbq sauce got nice and sticky like you like :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

what temp/time did you use for the chicken leg?  What did you coat it with? I keep playing around with temp/time combos....

They were in on bake steam at 425 for 15 min no sauce.  Then I sauced them with a bbq sauce very liberally and put them back in for 5 min.  I then sauced them again and put it on steam broil at 475 for 5 min.  The skin was not crisp but the meat was perfect.  These legs were not huge...from a 3 1/2 lb bird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, scamhi said:

Goat Birria tonight

started with this and cooked with water many guajillo peppers and bay leaves. i bought avocado leaves and couldn't find them.

recipe here

tortillas and side soup for husband and just soup with additions for me

Wow! Love that dish No avo leaves not a flavor loss

• Like 1

We're getting a weekly CSA box from a local organic farm co-op, so we are eating a lot of green things. It's quite a lot for two people, so we always have a couple of big salads and then I work to use up the rest of the stuff in various meals and try to be a bit creative. 

We always get a nice batch of mixed young greens and some choices in our other selections. Here, carrots, kale, kohlrabi, spinach, green onions, radishes. 

IMG_20200617_160103.thumb.jpg.ffc400a7e17140ad19cb8aff482f3885.jpg

Add in some tomatoes and cukes from another local farm for a big dinner salad. 

IMG_20200610_172823.thumb.jpg.d92caca058f2bc2ff8650db2f3438f18.jpg

Purple kale, fresh sage, strawberries, spinach and the usual salad mix. I like choosing spinach because I can add a bit into a fresh salad and it's easy to quickly steam the rest and then freeze it. 

IMG_20200610_160133.thumb.jpg.635744422d792f692f400aa77cdff7f2.jpg

Savoy cabbage, basil, garlic scapes, snow peas, snap peas, spinach, cukes, kohlrabi and salad mix. 

IMG_20200624_154938.thumb.jpg.f985bc5930455802dce1aa7ab7d90753.jpg

Dinner salad, there's actually a lot of kohlrabi in there. We love it raw. 

IMG_20200624_162338.thumb.jpg.3c5e48d0e1cbf45a518022a641ac2b43.jpg

As soon as I knew we had garlic scapes and basil, I knew I would be making Garlic Scape and Basil Pesto. I have a lot of walnuts in the pantry so used them instead of pine nuts. 

IMG_20200625_203130.thumb.jpg.076e03910de0c2c44a90526a66ecd2b1.jpg 

With a few black olives. 

IMG_20200625_204709.thumb.jpg.7a3a3b4920b7d5059b1d54c117d8030b.jpg

Tonight is the pesto again to finish it off. I needed to keep clearing out the crisper boxes and wanted to use up some celery that was getting on a bit, so made Polpette di sedano (Tuscan Celery Balls) from the Memorie de Angelina blog. I served them with a simple tomato sauce made from some good canned tomatoes that were flavoured with a bit of garlic scapes and basil. We had them as an appy with a few extra left over for tomorrow. 

These were fun! Tasty, too!  🙂

IMG_20200626_171938.thumb.jpg.5e05706023bf26987d425ce93449802d.jpg

Edited by FauxPas
to clean up formatting (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 5

4 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

The only problem with a bag of avocados is they all start to ripen at the same time 

Put the ones you want to slow down into the fridge and the the ones you want now on the counter. That way  you can easily stagger the ripening times.

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

Put the ones you want to slow down into the fridge and the the ones you want now on the counter. That way  you can easily stagger the ripening times.

I'm not convinced how well this method works.  It may depend on the variety of avocado.  In any event, wish me luck, I am about to cut into a Hass.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm not convinced how well this method works.

I've been using it for decades. It seldom fails for me.

That said, I rarely know what kind of avos I'm dealing with.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

4 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Yes I knew this, and was editing as you posted your suggestion.  It didn’t dawn on me earlier in the kitchen when making dinner and then it was an oh yeah moment 

I almost didn't post the suggestion as I thought you must know. We all have those moments!

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I've been using it for decades. It seldom fails for me.

That said, I rarely know what kind of avos I'm dealing with.

I've never seen good come of refrigerating a tomato or an avocado.  However I was able to eat only half of tonight's avocado.  I wrapped it up and refrigerated it, and will endeavor to report back.

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've never seen good come of refrigerating a tomato or an avocado.  However I was able to eat only half of tonight's avocado.  I wrapped it up and refrigerated it, and will endeavor to report back.

I have zero experience of refrigerating half eaten avos. No experience of half eaten avos at any temperature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I have zero experience of refrigerating half eaten avos. No experience of half eaten avos at any temperature.

Nor have I!

On tonights edition of Where Is The Carb, himself has some Roasted Turkey Breast with a side of Ham, Jalepeno & Cheese Scrambled Egg. 

20200627_191514.thumb.jpg.cf7693cb6b25723a732acb999fdcf94f.jpg

If anyone wants to send me some proteiny Inspo that would be awesome. He never complains but I'm getting bored of meat/egg/meat&egg cooking. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

9 hours ago, FauxPas said:

As soon as I knew we had garlic scapes and basil, I knew I would be making Garlic Scape and Basil Pesto. I have a lot of walnuts in the pantry so used them instead of pine nuts. 

I just used the last of last summer's garlic scape pesto from my freezer. I'll be harvesting my new scapes sometime over the next week or so, so this year's batch is almost upon us. :)

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

On tonights edition of Where Is The Carb, himself has some Roasted Turkey Breast with a side of Ham, Jalepeno & Cheese Scrambled Egg. 

20200627_191514.thumb.jpg.cf7693cb6b25723a732acb999fdcf94f.jpg

If anyone wants to send me some proteiny Inspo that would be awesome. He never complains but I'm getting bored of meat/egg/meat&egg cooking. 

When I do LC, my weekly dinners feature heavily cauliflower crust pizza (& derivatives) ...

• Like 1

Been wanting to try Wylie Dufresne's Scrambled Egg Sandwich ever since @liamsaunt and @blue_dolphin mentioned it in the breakfast topic. So last night was the night :).  It is a very filling sandwich...very good.    To go with I made my usual tomato/olive/caper salad, fried red potatoes from the garden, crawfish boudin and @Jaymessquash.

thumbnail_IMG_7918.jpg.4d67852becb25e291e272f51422abd49.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7919.jpg.5aa7a5c129008b623ae78d99a446f41f.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7920.jpg.4ea844c11045648aca7d700bde0dd000.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

22 hours ago, kayb said:

Minty cucumbers? I have cucumbers. I have a mint plant that's about to escape its pot and eat the house. Details?

Unfortunately, I did not make it.  The dressing came in a food share box that I was getting (I just stopped it this week because availability has gotten a lot better at my groceries) that has a mix of veggies and meats plus some prepared foods from local restaurants.  The mint dressing came from a Middle Eastern restaurant in town.

My brother likes to give me food related gifts.  Sometimes they are serious gifts, like good knives and high quality pots, but he also likes to give me weird cookbooks.  Things like "I Love Bacon" or "Will it Waffle?" or celebrity cookbooks.  So, last night I decided to cook from some of his silly books.  From Snoop Dog's "From Crook to Cook" We have corn muffins

1688602937_cornmuffins.thumb.jpg.5479b3ae7a17c1a9dfc92041f94df049.jpg

A little sweeter than I would prefer, but otherwise tasty.  And also from that book, "OG Fried Chicken" 

681378152_friedchicken.thumb.jpg.98a045c1b1ce38fbad8ca3abd2b1f22a.jpg

The chicken was really tasty.  It gets brined and has a lot of flavor.  In the cookbook, the chicken is served on waffles, but that did not sound appealing to me.  Instead, I used another of my brother's celebrity cookbook gifts and made Chrissy Teigen's mac and cheese with garlicky breadcrumbs

1016200663_macandcheese.thumb.jpg.e4a06e005c39d90d8ad26ecfe91a764a.jpg

I think this was the richest mac and cheese I have ever tasted!  It was good, but you could not eat more than a few bites.  There was also cole slaw on the table.

I will be eating grilled fish and salad for the next couple of weeks to atone for this meal 🤣

• Like 9
  • Haha 5