• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

59 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@gfweb – that skirt steak is exactly what I’d like to have right now!

@Shelby – looking at your dinner, I am ready for some breakfast for dinner and banana cake.  Can I please have the banana cake recipe?  I always have some in the freezer!

@Captain – lovely lamb, but I have to say how much I like that table.  Such a great color!

@Norm Matthews – thank you for posting that dressing recipe.  I am looking forward to trying it.  How strong is the sesame oil?  I tend to halve whatever is called for in most recipes as we are all very sensitive to the flavor of it.

@Ann_T – that strawberry roulade is lovely and certainly miles better than my latest attempt at a strawberry dessert (see the dessert thread). 

A couple of dinners to take to my in laws for the week – Brunswick stew:

Cornbread:

A pork chop and potato casserole.  I took it out of the oven at about 2:30am, so I missed the final shot.  Layered potatoes:

Par-cooked in the microwave because I have a lifelong issue with crunchy potatoes in casseroles and gratin.  Covered with creamy (ala Campbell’s Cream of…) sauce:

Another layer of each and then browned boneless pork chops (just use your imagination).  Smelled good and a little mouse-nibble of potato and sauce tasted good. 

Sunday night we picked up dinner from our favorite Chinese:

Shrimp fried rice and fried dumplings. 

You're welcome.  Almost any time I post, there is a link at the bottom (blogspot) that will take you to  the recipes I used.  As for sesame oil, I am so used to it that I don't think I can give an assessment of how strong it is.  Maybe you should add a little and decide whether you want to add more.

• Thanks 1

@Kim Shook, I sometimes make salad dressing using sesame oil. If you're sensitive to the flavor, I would say no more than 1 Tbsp. sesame oil per cup of salad dressing. You can start with even less than 1 Tbsp. sesame oil (per cup). I use the Kadoya brand, which is maybe strong-flavored.

• Thanks 1

the misses and I walked around 2.5 hours last night . we walked through prospect park and the trails and got lost a few times but, it was a lot of fun.. Arrived home, hungry.. In oil I toasted cumin seeds, then a bunch of ginger, then added jalapenos, then cauliflower florets and salt.. Added some water and covered... The as the water left and they started to pan fry a bit, I added some curry and sugar.  It was really good. 

Served with three types of lettuce with a ginger salad dressing and some onion.. Rice was leftover from lunch.. 

50035782871_e3f39febff.jpg

Rice was garlic with oil, then peppers, then rice, then tomatoes, wine, basil.. I stopped measuring my rice all together... I don't know, i keep saying.. I have never soaked, never rinsed, my proportions don't seem to make sense.. I make it perfectly every time.. I think it's the copper pot. 

50037446796_0511411b09.jpg

• Like 11

Tonight i stopped by my shop.. There was this huge beautiful heirloom tomato that was just about to burst.. If someone mishandled it, truly would have just leaked all over the place.. I took it home and squeezed it all out in to a bowl.. I added two chopped cloves of garlic, salt, sugar, olive oil, mint, basil, red pepper and black pepper.   I made a ricotta from cashews.. Soaked a cup of cashews in water, then blended, added salt, sugar, olive oil and lemon a little mint... 

Cooked the pasta, tossed in the raw tomato salsa.  Added the cashew ricotta.. It was truly, truly, truly amazing.  

http50039029676_b457065740_z.jpg

The name escapes me now, but it's the certain raw pasta sauce that normally has almonds.. the cashew ricotta was next level.. So creamy, i have been vegan way too long.. 

50039289092_ffab991f87_z.jpg

Here is the empty bowl of the salad.. I made a dressing of white vinegar, oregano, sugar, salt and olive oil presoaked the onions in that.. Made croutons from a loaf of sesame bread. Then added cucumbers and three types of lettuce.. .

50039029691_93b740f40d_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

39 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

@Kim Shook, I sometimes make salad dressing using sesame oil. If you're sensitive to the flavor, I would say no more than 1 Tbsp. sesame oil per cup of salad dressing. You can start with even less than 1 Tbsp. sesame oil (per cup). I use the Kadoya brand, which is maybe strong-flavored.

Oh I would go less. Even though I'd lived and eaten in Korea Town my first inherited container was a tin of Kadoya. An eyedropper might be useful ;) 

• Haha 1

I like to treat sesame oil in two ways... one where you definitely know it's there and one where you don't...  but since the quar, i would say i use it at least every other day.

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 1

It’s muggy here in Northern NJ and in the 90s. Last week the lows were in the 40s. 🙄

we’ve been doing a lot of cheeses and crudités and some air fryer chicken wings.

The temptation to order sushi daily is real.  

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Last night I ate dinner so late it was closer to breakfast. The light was strange so excuse picture quality.

I know the feeling when I get daylight in my dinner pictures.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

26 minutes ago, Dante said:

Tofu skewers (with onion, mushroom, and bell pepper) with peanut sauce over fonio (a grain that I've only just started experimenting with)

20200623_195849.jpg

I had to look that up, thanks!

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I had to look that up, thanks!

As did I.

I've been using "standard" millet for decades (just had some yesterday, in fact) so I wouldn't pay a big premium for a bespoke version in the normal run of things, but a lot of the buzz around fonio seems to focus on its potential as a cash crop in its cash-strapped homelands. So I'll probably splurge on a pound or two occasionally as my little contribution to international development, if that proves to be legitimate (and not just a marketing cash grab by middlemen from North America and the EU).

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I've been jonesing for Chinese food for what seems like months now. There's only one way to satisfy that...

675362127_Stirfryveg06-20.jpeg.5e8ffbdf0851aa176f6f3e6f0a91b1f2.jpeg

Cook it myself. Here just a quick sauté of a few vegetables, and I added some leftover already cooked pork from the kabobs I'd made the night before. But last night, much better...

903321114_Szechuanlamb06-23.jpeg.86ead8bf86331daabdc2a3c1ee422480.jpeg

Was this Szechuan style lamb dish. My research indicated that not much lamb is (or was) eaten in the Szechuan region. But it was in my fridge and ready to be cooked, so it's marinated in Shaoxing wine,  a little salt, cornstarch. I toasted and crushed Szechuan peppercorns and cumin seed along with red pepper flakes and the sauce itself was soy, Shaoxing, pinch of sugar and a bit of homemade stock.  

So - Szechuan lamb with cabbage, leeks, and scallions. It came out really good.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

back home in BK after 3.5 months in FL. back to cooking with gas vs electric. Pan seared wild salmon with ginger garlic sauce. Stir fried savoy cabbage with whole toasted cumin seeds, garlic, onion, serrano and cilantro. Szechuan chili crisp on top of the cabbage. Meursault to drink.

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

14 hours ago, heidih said:

Does not look like raw salmon so very lightly cooked?

Yes.  I do not generally make raw fish at home, though I like to eat it very much.  Other than the occasional tuna poke when/if I can find sushi grade tuna, I save raw fish for restaurants.

• Like 1

Trying out some new lean frozen burger patties and also instead of usual SV then sear, these were done on the Philips Avance Indoor Grill (PAG) from frozen.  Not too bad.  Topped with avocado and served with roasted carrots also on the PAG and steamed cauliflower.

burger-avo.jpg.c9aacde9f1bce829181c822360278b2d.jpg

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Had a bit of leftover rice from last night’s meal...so did a combo rice/riced cauliflower “fried rice” with shrimp, celery, and snow peas.

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Weird mix of stuff tonight. I made the duck in plum sauce that I often make for the kids, some steamed volcano rice that I wanted to finish, plus grilled eggplant/zucchini/mini peppers. But 2 days ago I started a recipe for pizza napoletana and I had to bake it tonight. I cooked it with the combo method: blue steel pan on the stove and oven broiler. Too much dough for my pan, next time less dough. But the taste was good. I made 2 only red and two no sauce. 

EC3B5B92-87A2-4F5D-874B-53DC4EF86D8C.jpeg

EFD314D1-EEAF-4B5A-9ED0-AD583B541CBA.jpeg

7CDF11A5-458D-4F1E-845D-41D86C60A9C2.jpeg

8936BBBB-4D84-49C7-9DBC-463850C1969E.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 1