• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Yesterday I saw some baby artichokes at the supermarket. I couldn’t resist. I fried the majority of them for my husband delight. Sorry, forgot to take a picture. But I left 3-4 for me to make a Roman dish that I was craving, it’s called vignarola, made with artichokes, fresh favas and peas. I had to use frozen peas and edamame. The whole flavor was sooooo disappointing. I really miss the produce I used to buy at the Ventimiglia market when we lived in Monaco, the difference it so big that I don’t even know where to start. The spiky artichokes there where so fresh that you could eat carpaccio style, here forget, tasteless little things, not even fried 😩

5FFAE25D-4842-4FDC-8556-0A39673FB493.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

41 minutes ago, Franci said:

Yesterday I saw some baby artichokes at the supermarket. I couldn’t resist. I fried the majority of them for my husband delight. Sorry, forgot to take a picture. But I left 3-4 for me to make a Roman dish that I was craving, it’s called vignarola, made with artichokes, fresh favas and peas. I had to use frozen peas and edamame. The whole flavor was sooooo disappointing. I really miss the produce I used to buy at the Ventimiglia market when we lived in Monaco, the difference it so big that I don’t even know where to start. The spiky artichokes there where so fresh that you could eat carpaccio style, here forget, tasteless little things, not even fried 😩

I remember that dish in a tiny small printing cookbook that has vanished. ALL about the excellent produce.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

@liamsaunt 

nice pizza's 

Bull Durham 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Durham

is an excellent choice this days 

Billions here , and Muti-Millions there

are not going to make up there minds

certainly not for me nor for you

you could watch B.D. several times

over the next few months 

instead

lots of nuance in that movie

BD is one of those movies I can watch over and over. And have.

It's my Rocky Horror equivalent.

Caddyshack is another.

Don't judge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/21/2020 at 8:46 AM, liamsaunt said:

Linguini with lemon, garlic, arugula, parmesan, bacon, red pepper flakes, and lots of cracked black pepper

1244780544_lemonlinguini.thumb.jpg.a00e732dedf3406e7f37899364bd1238.jpg

We had a very similar meal tonight but with kale instead of arugula and probably a bit more bacon. And I added some sun-dried tomatoes. It was quite tasty and a nice way to make use of some of the kale in our weekly CSA box. 

• Like 10

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

BD is one of those movies I can watch over and over. And have.

It's my Rocky Horror equivalent.

Caddyshack is another.

Don't judge.

Me too.  It is a great film.  We have watched movies every night for the past couple of weeks, and baseball has been a bit of a theme since it does not look like there is going to be a season.  We watched Field of Dreams earlier in the week.

Last night we had crunchy coconut crusted haddock with mango salsa, coconut cumin rice with raisins and cilantro, and roasted radishes and mini turnips with curry powder and almonds.

999830713_crunchfish.thumb.jpg.033ae2ffb9153dd359afcf8c341efc2e.jpg

• Like 16

14 hours ago, Franci said:

5FFAE25D-4842-4FDC-8556-0A39673FB493.jpeg

Now I feel deprived.   

I got a plug-in keyboard for my MacBook...temporary work around for the keys that aren't working.  I've done everything I could find online and it still hasn't helped.  I know it's not a software problem because once in a while the keys randomly work.  Frustrating.  But at least this little keyboard works.  Holy crap I looked online and new computers are SUPER expensive.

Anyway.  On to the food.

Sous vide fried chicken with tater salad using red potatoes from the garden and the first squash.

thumbnail_IMG_7903.jpg.35afda8e04fa6ab60b4980100c78dcc5.jpg

Then last night was pork enchiladas.

thumbnail_IMG_7904.jpg.81ff2ad513ca92a153c810027b639883.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Now I feel deprived.   

my son reaction when we go back to my hometown in Puglia is that he can finally smell the fruit and vegetables 😍 but I almost eat no beef when I’m Italy 😁 much better here. Pick my battles 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Franci said:

my son reaction when we go back to my hometown in Puglia is that he can finally smell the fruit and vegetables 😍 but I almost eat no beef when I’m Italy 😁 much better here. Pick my battles 

The beef thing is funny. When I was young in France the meat. though flovorful, seemed SO chewy to me. Now I would prefer it. Def not a Wagyu girl here.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, heidih said:

The beef thing is funny.

Isn't it, though?

When I was in culinary school in Alberta, we had a "meat day" with representatives from the various marketing boards (beef, pork, lamb, maybe poultry...I don't remember). Part of the dog-and-pony show was a blind tasting of three different kinds of beef, pitting the homegrown product (which is, in fairness, very good as these things go) against imported grass-fed beef from Australia and Argentina. We tasted three cuts of each in three different preparation methods, and to the visible irritation of the Alberta Beef guy I ranked the grain-finished product dead last every time.

I was in the minority, mind you.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, heidih said:

The beef thing is funny. When I was young in France the meat. though flovorful, seemed SO chewy to me. Now I would prefer it. Def not a Wagyu girl here.

I don’t mind chewy and flavorful, my butcher in Monaco had great Charolaise beef. I guess it’s a matter of aging meat. In Italy meat it’s so fresh that for me tastes really sour. Not talking about good Piemontese meat or Chianina but meat my relatives/parents have access in their everyday shopping. 

• Like 2

@gfweb – that skirt steak is exactly what I’d like to have right now!

@Shelby – looking at your dinner, I am ready for some breakfast for dinner and banana cake.  Can I please have the banana cake recipe?  I always have some in the freezer!

@Captain – lovely lamb, but I have to say how much I like that table.  Such a great color!

@Norm Matthews – thank you for posting that dressing recipe.  I am looking forward to trying it.  How strong is the sesame oil?  I tend to halve whatever is called for in most recipes as we are all very sensitive to the flavor of it.

@Ann_T – that strawberry roulade is lovely and certainly miles better than my latest attempt at a strawberry dessert (see the dessert thread). 

A couple of dinners to take to my in laws for the week – Brunswick stew:

IMG_2547.jpg.4bed5942c7194b572652bce654573465.jpg

Cornbread:

IMG_2548.jpg.32a83ce5af47008e6583cf5505ea5add.jpg

A pork chop and potato casserole.  I took it out of the oven at about 2:30am, so I missed the final shot.  Layered potatoes:

IMG_2571.jpg.0ed2db478f15e4160bd15ebeb0faf8a2.jpg

Par-cooked in the microwave because I have a lifelong issue with crunchy potatoes in casseroles and gratin.  Covered with creamy (ala Campbell’s Cream of…) sauce:

IMG_2570.jpg.e8a9bc58b7f07d9c8d87d01cc476b742.jpg

Another layer of each and then browned boneless pork chops (just use your imagination).  Smelled good and a little mouse-nibble of potato and sauce tasted good. 

Sunday night we picked up dinner from our favorite Chinese:

IMG_2600.jpg.df46558f751b29c33fc82898ec84cc81.jpg

Shrimp fried rice and fried dumplings. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

23 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Salmon larb, rice noodle salad, and minty cucumbers

Does not look like raw salmon so very lightly cooked?