• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

An old favorite...

SourCreamAppleSouffleCake06162020.png

Joy of Cooking Sour Cream Apple Souffle Cake Cockaigne.  Served with ice cream, just because.  Preceded by Peruvian avocado, not shown.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Night before last husband was playfully moaning about missing a Schooner and A Parmy. Again.

Gave it a shot. I scored 10/10 for the Schnitzel (thank you Panko) and 8/10 for the Chicken parmigiana as a whole.

Tonight was Turkey Taco Tuesday, I stuff for the kid and these are his. I have learnt that if I put crunchy / healthy toppings in the meat they get eaten - so mince includes tomato, beans and capsicum etc. 

20200616_191556.thumb.jpg.5b9f0ef545f84b4686ab03770a0c4479.jpg

Excuse the presentation but these beeping things fell over 6 beeping times while I was trying to provide socially acceptable photo content of a 7 year olds dinner. This is the Beep It shot. 

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 6

FWIW, I have a couple of wire taco-holder racks that are supposed to be used to hold the tortillas while stuffing them. I found they were more of a hindrance than a help, so really the only thing they've ever been used for was holding the damned tacos upright so we could get pretty photos for our farmer's market website.

A few years afterward, when fish tacos had become more common all the way over here (I'm told they originated somewhere along the California/Mexico border, and Atlantic Canada's about as far away as you can get without leaving the continent) I started seeing photos of them still laying flat with all the ingredients mounded artistically on top. Duh.

...not that the "flat technique" would work with your hard shells, of course.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

A few years afterward, when fish tacos had become more common all the way over here (I'm told they originated somewhere along the California/Mexico border, and Atlantic Canada's about as far away as you can get without leaving the continent) I started seeing photos of them still laying flat with all the ingredients mounded artistically on top. Duh.

...not that the "flat technique" would work with your hard shells, of course.

I have not seen hard shells in years though they exist. The iconic Tito's Tacos being a significant exception. Not my thing and if they must exist please please hold the cold shredded cheese! The high schoolers round here lived on breakfast burritos from the "roach coach" and they are almost all skinny to this day! Must be the Y chromie.

https://www.titostacos.com/

3 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Night before last husband was playfully moaning about missing a Schooner and A Parmy. Again.

Gave it a shot. I scored 10/10 for the Schnitzel (thank you Panko) and 8/10 for the Chicken parmigiana as a whole.

Tonight was Turkey Taco Tuesday, I stuff for the kid and these are his. I have learnt that if I put crunchy / healthy toppings in the meat they get eaten - so mince includes tomato, beans and capsicum etc. 

20200616_191556.thumb.jpg.5b9f0ef545f84b4686ab03770a0c4479.jpg

Excuse the presentation but these beeping things fell over 6 beeping times while I was trying to provide socially acceptable photo content of a 7 year olds dinner. This is the Beep It shot. 

this is cute a dinosaur taco holder.  Some got me this but I don’t eat that many tacos and it’s lost somewhere 

Funwares TriceraTaco Ultimate Dinosaur Stand, Holds 2, Top Rated Novelty Taco Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZNTN8S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_b3l6EbR43D7XB

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

So Sun Noodle has finally entered the retail market world/  currently they are local distributed and the west coast--So I had to travel to ABQ NM to get mine

50009944341_ecfe41a1c1_c.jpg

I can get this brand at my local MA supermarket (if I ever get back there to shop in person, sigh).  They are sold frozen.  I buy the ones without the seasoning pack.  Down to my last two packages...

Last night, turmeric fish, seared dill and green onion noodle bowls from Andrea Nguyen's Vietnamese Food Any Day

1973141731_tumericfish.thumb.jpg.319d3ed3eb5641796e4f0c36f1e3f9c2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

31 minutes ago, heidih said:

I have not seen hard shells in years though they exist. The iconic Tito's Tacos being a significant exception. Not my thing and if they must exist please please hold the cold shredded cheese! The high schoolers round here lived on breakfast burritos from the "roach coach" and they are almost all skinny to this day! Must be the Y chromie.

https://www.titostacos.com/

We fried our corn tortillas to make a semi-hard shell, which I understand is very much now a niche thing.

There's a story, there...my late wife was a few years older than me and she was born when her mom was already 40, so her mom and my grandmother were both born in the same year (1914). Her mom's family left Tennessee around 1920 and moved to Phoenix area in search of work (stealing a march on the next decade's Dust Bowl refugees). Since they were poor farm workers, they lived in the same places as their mostly-Mexican peers. So although her mom grew up to be a trained chef in the European tradition, she learned her Mexican cookery from the neighborhood grandmas and great-grandmas of the Phoenix area in the 1920s, who presumably would have learned from their grandmothers in the middle of the previous century.

So it might be just a regional thing (I don't know what part of Mexico might have furnished Phoenix' field workers back in the day) or maybe it's just super old-school, but that's how she was taught, and my late wife was taught, and how she in turn taught me.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 minutes ago, chromedome said:

We fried our corn tortillas to make a semi-hard shell, which I understand is very much now a niche thing.

So it might be just a regional thing (I don't know what part of Mexico might have furnished Phoenix' field workers back in the day) or maybe it's just super old-school, but that's how she was taught, and my late wife was taught, and how she in turn taught me.

Oh it is how my mom (German immigrant) was taught by the Mexican (region unknown) stone masons working on our block walls. But that was very long ago. She used that seasoning packet for the ground beef... Probably McCormick.

• Like 2

Peas with spring onion, dill, butter, pepper, nutmeg, aniseed.

Wheat berries with chickpeas, mushrooms, chestnuts, bay, chili, baharat, cinnamon, a touch of cream.

Salad with toasted walnuts, tomatoes, siren cheese, olive oil, pomegranate molasses.

IMG_20200610_221834_1.thumb.jpg.10f0bae11a7d2db939f335c4498b41ee.jpg

IMG_20200610_215007.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

20 hours ago, weinoo said:

That's a rack of lamb - very interesting the way it is butchered, compared to a rack of lamb I'd get here.

Maybe my translation of the cut is off ?

It is the lower back of the lamb (“under” the ribs), cut into cross sections through the spine. 

Edited: Saddle it is ... thanks @BonVivant!

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 3

I've bought several  things from ThermoWorks so I am on their email list and sometimes they send me links to recipes.  Filipino Chicken Adobo came last week and I tried it today.  It wasn't braised but grilled and we both liked it. Charlie said he'd like for me to make it again sometime.  I forgot to take a picture until we were almost done.  We had it with just rice and kimchi.  I made a half recipe. 

20200616_162712.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I've bought several  things from ThermoWorks so I am on their email list and sometimes they send me links to recipes.  Filipino Chicken Adobo came last week and I tried it today.  It wasn't braised but grilled and we both liked it. Charlie said he'd like for me to make it again sometime.  I forgot to take a picture until we were almost done.  We had it with just rice and kimchi.  I made a half recipe. 

One of my uncles married a Filipina, so that was my first "authentic" ethnic food (as opposed to Chinese-Canadian).

• Like 3

A barrage of beautiful dishes on this thread... Tonight, we walked for maybe three hours.. I would say, we did about 6.5 miles.  We got home, i quickly marinated tofu in sweet soy sauce and some sugar.  Grilled and served with a few types of lettuces.. peanut sauce, rice noodles that I simply soaked in warm water and tossed with soy and sesame.. Raw garlic, raw jalapenos, mint leaves.  I had the peanut sauce made so, it all came together in like 20 minutes or less.  Of screen, I had one of those rice paper disks and made a little summer roll, just to make it.. It was very good too. 

50014878531_d5d3dba4d2_z.jpg:

grilled tofu

50014347193_b71b8b7ee0_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 12

7 minutes ago, BKEats said:

I had one of those rice paper disks and made a little summer roll, just to make it.. It was very good too. 

I love the container and we love them as a standard. Not a lot of taste but add greenery and "total literal package"

• Like 1

Had planned something more adventuresome but after four mile evening walk:

Dinner06172020.png

Then so as not to be accused of serving the same thing every night...

Joy06172020.png

Joy of Cooking Sour Cream Apple Souffle Cake Cockaigne -- with whipped cream for a change.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou