• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

@mgaretz – gorgeous challah.  The very first bread I ever made was a challah loaf.  I was 19 and it was wildly successful – better bread than I’ve made in the ensuing 40 years.  One of my friends was Jewish and insisted on taking some to his mom, who asked me to make it for her every so often from then until I moved away for good.  No idea what the recipe was, but yours looks so good, I think I need to try again!

Be glad to send you the recipe.

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Ful (fava beans) with bay leaves, cumin, lemon, olive oil. Labneh with olive oil and sumac. Pita. Veggies.

Grilled zucchini salad with int, basil, lemon zest, olives, lemon, olive oil.

Beetroot salad with onion, sesame, caraway, anise seed, orange zest, parsley, vinegar, olive oil.

IMG_20200608_144219_1.jpg

IMG_20200608_124938.jpg

IMG_20200608_125743.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

I have never seen whole briskets at the grocery store before but they had a whole end aisle of them the other day  and they were not expensive so I got one and smoked it yesterday.  I also had just got a roll of butcher paper and used that too, but when the brisket was almost done I was testing if it was ready with a probe and punctured the back and the juice started running out so I added foil for the last half hour or so.  I made BBQ beans and corn and had store bought slaw and potato salad.

20200614_173401.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

LOL Our granddaughter did that a year or two ago.

She's also incapable of eating raspberries without first putting them on her fingertips like little red hats. :)

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 minutes ago, chromedome said:

LOL Our granddaughter did that a year or two ago.

She's also incapable of eating raspberries without first putting them on her fingertips like little red hats. :)

Only ever seen that with olives. Rberries = kinda messy. Saw  dad with his kids in the canyon once picking them. it was a Jackson Pollock moment.

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Only ever seen that with olives. Rberries = kinda messy. Saw  dad with his kids in the canyon once picking them. it was a Jackson Pollock moment.

Yeah, the inevitable segue from "kids and berries" is "kids and soapy water."

Amusingly, our little Scuttle just loves berries (and watermelon). One of my cherished memories is watching the same granddaughter (then 3) and Scuttle (then just a puppy) both face-down and butt-up in the patch of wild strawberries under our deck, racing to see who could get the most. It was adorable.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Last night my sister and I made Americanized Chinese food as a treat for my nephew.  He cannot eat at Chinese restaurants because of his allergy, but he loves that kind of food.  Crabless crab rangoons, chicken fingers, and vegetable fried rice.  We will have to have a big salad with dinner tonight to atone for all the fried food!

chinese.thumb.jpg.fcfaf8fe52870a42888dc309f937c241.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

@Norm Matthews that brisket looks great.

630611384_Ducklegroasted06-14IMG_1273.jpeg.74bebbfde01f8e197e30e8e738ba0fd3.jpeg

Steam girl roasted a couple of duck legs for about 2.5 hours at 275℉, cranked to 375℉ for the last 15 minutes to crisp them up. These are giant sized legs I got with an order from DeBraggga, at the height of my panicdemic buying. And they are delicious - no special prep here, just into a tight casserole, well salted and peppered, atop a couple of garlic cloves and bay leaves. Purely ducky. Served with these...

57589026_PotatomushroomCatalanstyle06-14IMG_1268.jpeg.3c02e9e92d96ba5bcd6614e984bef191.jpeg

The Catalan-ish recipe I got from Colman Andrews' book, Catalan Cuisine, was for morels and potatoes. Here I only had some cremini and shitake, and they worked well. I also add some saffron, use stock in lieu of water, some pimenton, etc. etc. Normally, I'd cook these in a cazuela; that, however, was the suitably sized one for the duck, so not available!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

After some very pleasant days, rain has finally arrived and temperatures have dropped to a mere 16 oC. Something hearty was requested, so I made pan-fried rack of lamb and a huge pot of ratatouille. The little one is allergic to Aubergines, so I made him a Döner-style sandwich with grilled chicken and tons of veggies, which he ate without any complaints...

80ED24BF-A1A5-4EF3-ACCD-A9BCBB3E8A70.thumb.jpeg.d156d9c56504e47aeab7b8bfeb600fed.jpeg

34E791F0-D2F4-4CAA-B162-AB296ADE396A.thumb.jpeg.a704e833fe78bb5b356345a52cddb77e.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

So Sun Noodle has finally entered the retail market world/  currently they are local distributed and the west coast--So I had to travel to ABQ NM to get mine

50010414227_b8e9b87311_b.jpg\

50009944341_ecfe41a1c1_c.jpg

My miso ramen is made with liquid packs enclosed ( I have tried two--seseme and miso )  both pretty good//   Fresh egg noodle/roasted broc/fresno peppers/ roasted pork/cilantro /choy

• Like 13

Its good to have Morels

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

I made pan-fried rack of lamb and a huge pot of ratatouille. 

80ED24BF-A1A5-4EF3-ACCD-A9BCBB3E8A70.thumb.jpeg.d156d9c56504e47aeab7b8bfeb600fed.jpeg

That's a rack of lamb - very interesting the way it is butchered, compared to a rack of lamb I'd get here.

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

So Sun Noodle has finally entered the retail market world/  currently they are local distributed and the west coast--So I had to travel to ABQ NM... 

50009944341_ecfe41a1c1_c.jpg

These are my favorite for home use.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

From the weekend, nothing tonight exciting enough to post. Dry brined boneless pork loin for 48 hours then rubbed with a mixture of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and brown sugar. Smoked with cherry wood to 140 F internal. Those pans underneath are pinto beans with onion, garlic, jalapenos, bbq sauce, mustard, brown sugar, Worcester-sheester-shooster-shyster-shire sauce, salt and pepper. They went in about an hour before the pork and are placed to catch any pork juice and fat that escapes. Finished the meal out with potato salad and homemade bread. Just basic white bread per request of the young'un.

smoke.jpg

plate.jpg    

Edit: two roasts, 2 pans of beans and 2 loaves of bread because I sent 1 of each and some potato salad to older young'un and family.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

An almost totally brown dinner:

Mexican tomato rice, refried beans topped with cheddar cheese that look terrible but were so delicious, CSO 450F x 10 Min asparagus with smoked paprika Aioli, and Schniztel-style fried pork with Mexican spices.  

Everything was great except the rice was not properly reheated and we were too lazy to get up and re-nuke them.  Sheesh 😆

Tonight....more rice..that should be the end of it....please Lord, let that be the end of it.😬

unnamed.thumb.jpg.fdd0567547b10c8110f5a9f87d7d0d43.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Beautiful plate!

Tonight, pork rillettes with drinks

2061971463_photo2-4.thumb.JPG.0381794fa396bc8a18bd6ffc3d28abbc.JPG

Then just soup with warmed tortillas

536470824_photo1-3.thumb.JPG.58c9bfddd2b8cb0d6fe583c382bdca78.JPG

How do you do the rillettes?

12 hours ago, TdeV said:

Could you please tell me what went into those fabulous corn fritters?

Of course!  I microwaved half a bag of frozen corn and let cool down. Then sliced finely 2-3 scallions, and cut some roasted piquillo peppers, about 3,  added 2 large eggs, 60g of Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons grated parmigiano, a microplaned clove of garlic, some Turkish Pul biber or other  chili flakes or paprika, some salt and to finish some panko to keep it together. Next time, I will blitz like 1/3 of everything so it will hold better, or increase to 3 eggs and proportionally increase the parmigiano and panko. Better to chill in the fridge for some time. I think a good way to see if it will hold is to make  quenelles and let it rest for a little in the fridge and see how they hold, if after the rest they hold well the shape they are good to fry. At least this is what I am planning to do the next time, because the taste was really good and they asked me to make them again. This time they were a little fragile. 

@Shain,  I love very much your dinner...big fan of dry favas and could eat zucchini (or  eggplants) every day! 

But in all honestly I like all the dinners! 

Today I made a small pan of pasta with zucchini and chickpeas. Then we had some short ribs on the cast iron grill and a salad. And since I made a big batch of chickpeas, I made some vegetables sliders, just to store in the freezer/fridge.  I keep them for myself, nobody else seems to like them, I really adore them and make a variety of with lentils/mung beans, milled, lupini beans and they are very handy for breakfast or to add to a salad for lunch. 

9A70710C-7561-4123-AC1F-C359CAF30DA8.jpeg

6CE46807-82AC-466C-AE3B-17A6B4CE3247.jpeg

D9E22529-2FC2-4625-8EF9-E7C2B122773A.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

22 minutes ago, gfweb said:

How do you do the rillettes?

Cut a chunk of fatty pork shoulder into, say, 1" cubes.    If you want to be fancy, let soak in a splash of brandy overnight, else just proceed.    Brown in oil, add a chopped onion, sprig of thyme, s an p, cover and bake at 295F for 3 or 5 hours.    Test for fork tenderness.

1076312080_ScreenShot2020-06-15at7_37_39PM.png.5e7eaf1836d428001bf4290e50ccab9e.png

1329707305_ScreenShot2020-06-15at7_37_56PM.png.38dfec0e8f93707ab978cec19d1742e7.png

Shred with a fork and pack into jars.   Keep all the fat that accumulates. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

eGullet member #80.

Made a few things tonight... Eating plant based, it's a lot less structured than eating omnivorously..  But, I made a large thing of chickpea masala, i roasted some eggplants and used a peanut dressing I had made,  I marinated tofu and grilled and put in lettuce wraps with toasted ground rice, ginger, sauce, hot pepper.  Also made this indian potato dish with these beautiful potatoes purchased at the green market.  Aloo jeera it was called or jeera aloo.. Basically cumin seeds cooked in oil with smashed coriander, then ginger, jalapenos, a little water, salt and cilantro. It all turned out really good.. i have leftovers.  

Roasted the eggplant for a bit, flipped, roasted more.. then split and mashed then added a peanut dressing and let cook more.

50010813273_5bc47f3585_z.jpg

I loved this dish...  A little lemon at the end. 

50010813258_c6b5005ba0_z.jpg

I use the spice packet from a spice guy out here.. Very  easy.. I had cooked the beans on saturday and left them in the fridge... I had used some for a salad the other day.. Used about 3/4 of them in this dish... Lunch for three leftovers.  But yeh, just start with ginger, garlic, onion, tomatoes, then the spice packet and eventually the beans. 

50011606997_c488688f33_z.jpg

Tofu wraps.. I have two types of butter lettuce from the green market, this purple lettuce, then a grilled marinated piece of tofu, ginger, jalapeno. then peanut sauce and toasted rice powder.. The bride loved this

50011346711_c054432028_z.jpg

I have a lot of rice powder now.. need to start finding ways to use. 

pre powder 

50011346636_9558f67ea2_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2