• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Onions stuffed with freekeh wheat and baked. Flavored with raisins, pomegranate molasses, lemon, tahini paste, paprika, coriander seeds, anise seeds, cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon. Based until tender and almost creamy. Finished with some feta, mint and almonds.

Fire roasted eggplants with yogurt, cooked mulberries, rose water, almonds, mint.

IMG_20200601_221447.thumb.jpg.769b997c16f2b37d07b3a7474b70f941.jpg

IMG_20200601_220440_1.jpg

IMG_20200601_220638.jpg

IMG_20200601_221813.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

bought some nice boneless pork chops, cut into strips and marinated in a jarred kalbi marinade.

Grilled over charcoal, served in baby romaine lettuce cups with scallion ginger sauce, tomato chutney and Sichuan chili crisp.

With thai style tomato salad with ginger and cucumber (recipe from the NY Times) and jasmine rice

IMG_7856 2.JPG

IMG_8181.JPG

IMG_3466.JPG

IMG_5867.JPG

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

I cheated last night.  

Stopped on the way home from work and picked up a rotisserie chicken. Made sure I picked one with lots of drippings in the bottom of the container.

To make the gravy I poured the drippings into a shallow pan, along with a little butter and let the drippings cook down and brown in the butter. Added flour to make a roux, cooked for a few minutes and then added chicken broth and seasoned with sage, salt and pepper. Covered and let it simmer on very low heat for the flavours to meld while I double fried the french fries.

1975748097_HotchickensandwichJune7th2020.thumb.jpg.3f6b707281e362b4ccebd8da66688492.jpg

Quick and easy dinner.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Received a nice delivery yesterday morning. 

248760165_Lobsterpicked06-07.jpeg.5d97708d0ac09f8ef16735438b625695.jpeg

Picked lobster from 3 lobsters - yield just about 1 lb.

2120978250_LobstershellsI06-07.jpeg.3d46488fb3af1bd33473fa29a354a267.jpeg

Shells busted up and cooked in a little olive oil and ramp butter.

1327481478_Lobsterstock06-07.jpeg.b6e54c351b67375953a32a68112994fb.jpeg

To make stock. Yield about 1.5 qts. on the right. On the left, similar amount of chicken stock, made with the bones, backs, giblets, etc. of the poule au pot bird.

Dinner...

1427951870_Lobsterroll06-07.jpeg.84d1335a43a47b4ecab444f76c3c1442.jpeg

Lobster rolls, cole slaw and more mac salad. Only used 1/2 the lobster, expecting to use the other half + stock for risotto.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Technically tomorrows Dinner but I am sharing now because I cannot, for the life of me, plate Spaghetti Bolognese attractively 😂

Giada's got you covered!

Of course, if you say spaghetti as she does, there might be a problem.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

Wowzers, Liamsaunt. Did you make the bread rolls with a pan like this?

(I've always wondered what those pans are used for)

Not homemade. I was at a vacation house with..ahem..rudimentary cooking facilities.  Just your standard New England style hot dog buns, griddled in butter.  

We came back to our house today for a couple of weeks before heading back to the Cape.  Too much takeout food is bothering my stomach, and we are watching the covid numbers for a possible uptick as my state opened back up today in a limited capacity.  We have been hammered pretty hard so are very wary about getting back out in the general public. My husband's office has already announced they are not allowing workers in the office until next year (everyone has the capability to work remote)  We canceled all of our flight based vacations for 2020.

Last night's takeout dinner. Oysters (we ordered two dozen) briny and delicious.

oysters.thumb.jpg.4006cfd10144a78eefbd397b9ed7a335.jpg

Hot buttered lobster roll. Completely fell apart but husband reported that it tasted delicious

lobster.thumb.jpg.74dff4c1a3b1892f8110078b4609ac12.jpg

Burrito (blah)

burrito.thumb.jpg.afbd38734d4f9a1c46a6958a30f96a3c.jpg

Crab cake sandwich (also blah)

crabcake.thumb.jpg.253083f82216b7177c8a4a2d83ae92ea.jpg

Tuna steak sandwich (also...blah)

una.thumb.jpg.27f749bf9eb4204a04d3438f66607c5f.jpg

And tonight's home cooked dinner: Acadian redfish in a soy ginger garlic sauce, with shiitake mushrooms, sautéed baby bok choy and choi sum.  Rice. Everything but the rice from my fish share and CSA. Tasty!  

1374358681_acadianredfish.thumb.jpg.863a9c7e79002878c598cf670aee40ea.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

American wagyu ribeye. Bordelaise sauce, fried green beans, a 2011 Belle Couise from H.D.V., and for dessert panna cotta!  It's my birthday today so why not go all out :)

20200608_174620.thumb.jpg.6fbee0a664a133f843797a8a4bac6229.jpg

20200608_181218.thumb.jpg.7a31ee2ebbdf7e4bca6f8f24b4ce5917.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

Bison burger with avocado and "pesto" made with rau ram and sawtooth coriander on a pretzel roll.

i am all in on your "pesto" - m & p or ? Bison can be good- pretzel roll- I not get - is it chewy. I know the term is popularly tossed about but  what it is exact;y? Curiosity (I have no cat to kill)

Recently the weather has not been the greatest. Either too windy at night or rainy, fist time in a couple weeks we are eating outside. So nice. For me a nice salad with the lightly smoked sardines under oil from Trader Joe’s, I am down to the last 3 cans :( and 2 slices of my pizza that I defrosted. Husband had salad and leftover steak. I made also some braised chicken with steamed potatoes for the kids. I know, everybody eating something different 😆

95E08041-1AE8-49CD-9363-A4BFB33CF1A5.jpeg

7B5704E9-12D7-4F0E-9C75-73E0463EA2D1.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

57 minutes ago, heidih said:

i am all in on your "pesto" - m & p or ? Bison can be good- pretzel roll- I not get - is it chewy. I know the term is popularly tossed about but  what it is exact;y? Curiosity (I have no cat to kill)

I have no idea what m & p could possibly be. The pretzel roll is actually quite tasty and not that chewy like a real pretzel would be. I think it's more like a quasi-pretzel dough but definitely has a pretzel flavored skin with a bit of salt.

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I have no idea what m & p could possibly be. The pretzel roll is actually quite tasty and not that chewy like a real pretzel would be. I think it's more like a quasi-pretzel dough but definitely has a pretzel flavored skin with a bit of salt.

mortar & pestle - sorry thought it a common reference. I get the pretzel family thing

8 minutes ago, heidih said:

mortar & pestle - sorry thought it a common reference. I get the pretzel family thing

I use the pesto term very lightly. But I used the immersion blender as I had a lot to do tonight.

So, i tried to make injera.. I tried to use 100 percent teff.. And while I got what was pretty much the consistency and texture one looks for, oh baby, the fermentation may have worked a little too well.. It tasted of stinky tofu.. It had that super fermented funk that was jsut a little too intense.. So much so, my wife made take the uneaten bread out of the house... luckily, i met a neighbor who was willing to try and eat it..  Not the actually crepes I made but, the batter..  Maybe it went bad, I don't know.. poor neighbor.. 

49986547146_032348d210_z.jpg

So yeh, scrapped that... I mean, i don't know what the hell happened but, it was bad.  I am going to text him to tell him to just toss it. 

I did a test early to see if I was going to make rice instead.. Daughters first night back in 3.5 months.. 

Fossolia-  It's am ethiopian carrots and green bean dish.. ginger garlic, tomato paste, tomatoes, carrots, green beans, some palm sugar, I forget what else.. It was so delicious.. I have a lot leftover.  There is supposed to be more green bean than carrot but, who has more green beans than carrots.. Cabbage would have been great in here too.. Lots of chopped onions.. 

49986033128_b9b8f2393b_z.jpg

Chana Masala, or however you say cannellini beans, masala  

49986033168_1f5d4c3afd_z.jpg

Ethiopian collard greens.. All spice, paprika,  lemon, spicy pepper, tamarind powder with the greens, also some onions, garlic and ginger.. The recipe asked for a lot of cut up green peppers but, none on hand. 

i different flavoring than usually for me..  i really enjoyed it and feel there are many vegan ethiopian dishes I have yet to make.. This meal could have used a mushroom dish, a cabbage dish and a potato dish.. 

49986546596_9c59f8fcc2_z.jpg

I threw in some of last night's dal and made some brown rice... This was an excellent meal.. The green beans and carrots was the undisputed champ. 

49986032618_e349611a3f_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 11

@BKEats now I have injera on the brain. A friend had a caregiver (Ehiopian) for her mum. Her injera was sublime. I will ask if they are still in contact. I need a hands on lesson.  

1 minute ago, heidih said:

@BKEats now I have injera on the brain. A friend had a caregiver (Ehiopian) for her mum. Her injera was sublime. I will ask if they are still in contact. I need a hands on lesson.  

my injera was like this super dark dark chocolate.. Judging by the color of mine against the color of what i see at my local spot, I would guess they use somewhere less than 20 percent teff in their injera. 

1 hour ago, BKEats said:

my injera was like this super dark dark chocolate.. Judging by the color of mine against the color of what i see at my local spot, I would guess they use somewhere less than 20 percent teff in their injera. 

Or the source and milling She shops our Little Ethiopia - I will check. City is bit of a mess right now Just for fun here is Jonathan Gold's early review of Meals by Genet. Historic now. https://www.laweekly.com/chicken-stew-for-the-soul/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Pay no attention to Giada! Or at least not when you make a pasta like this...

547445001_Lobsterpasta06-08IMG_1199.jpeg.ef15100b98e2a566094c97b53c77c33b.jpeg

Because there's no cheese in this lobsta pasta. Just some spring alliums, white wine, a little tomato stuff from the shadows of Vesuvius, chunks of lobster and lobster stock.

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog