• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Still vegan... Had a busy day of walking around.  Didnt eat all day and than had a few things between 5 and 10 tonight..   

Firstly, made a pasta sauce with olives, capers, a little clove, some piri piri pepper, wine.  Spicy and fun.  Added some pea shoots. 

49958619667_bfc85b0a57_z.jpg

I wanted to make the ethiopian bread, injera but,  purchased whole grain teff instead of the milled flour.. So, i made a porridge tonight for dessert.. Some whole grain teff, water, almond extract, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, oat milk.. top with a little shot of peanut butter...   It was so delicious. 

• Like 8

I returned to my Marcella bean broth.  I needed the blast chiller for another project and I planned to pitch it.  How I envy those with more than one blast chiller.  But I tasted the bean broth and it was good.

What to do?  I boiled up some Giuseppe Cocco sagnarelli, added a dash of Haku sakura shoyu, and it made dinner.

Dinner06012020.png

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I started off with my favourite clam and mustard green soup in a peppery chicken broth.

20200529_174201.thumb.jpg.077af769111dbfcfd0d7d00337a91be6.jpg

20200529_174211.thumb.jpg.546447ed8ccc7991c67420fa1144fdf9.jpg

Then moved on to dish that is very special to me. It was first cooked for me by a dear Chinese friend, probably the best cook I've ever met. Like me, she hated to share her kitchen with anyone else, but, although she never gave me her recipe, she did impart at least some of her technique. Sadly, she passed away a couple of years ago at a very young age from complications of diabetes. Every time I make it as near as I can figure to her recipe,  I think of her. Miss her a lot.

Pork ribs. A two day cooking process. First the ribs, chopped into bite size pieces (as always in China), are simmered in water for about an hour, drained and cooled. (Water can be re-used as a pork stock with noodles). When cool,  the ribs are marinated with garlic, ginger, chillies, Shaoxing wine, red vinegar, potato starch, a tickle of cumin and a little honey. Stuck in the fridge and left 24 hours.

Next day, they are drained from the marinade and fried until browned. The reserved marinade is added along (with a splash of water if they look like drying out) and simmered for a couple of minutes. Finished with chopped Chinese chives.

I served with rice and stir fried baby bok choy.

20200601_184233.thumb.jpg.590e5a974d78247a7d8cc972e7069ced.jpg

20200601_184240.thumb.jpg.1e3e1d58701994446a267761e2cdfd2a.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, Franci said:

If anybody remembers, some time ago, I was on the quest of my perfect recipe for pizza in teglia alla romana. I am making some progresses. I loved tonight pizza 

Great seeing you around :)

Would you care to share some of your insights? I plan to dabble with the style sometime soon. Looks delicious, BTW.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Risotto al limone e gamberetti (ain't italian food item names fun to say?), peas, zest, preserved lemon, some juice, butter (no other dairy), pepper, bay leaves, garlic, vegetable stock.

Salad of fennel, arugula, tomatoes, sirene cheese, almonds, balsamic, olive oil, a little honey.

IMG_20200528_150258_1.thumb.jpg.23efcfa923de9f176f99dbf33ddbdae8.jpg

IMG_20200528_144645.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

12 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@robirdstx – I’ve probably said this before, but you get the best looking coating on your fried things.  So even and crisp looking. 

Thank you. In this most recent case, the breading was a mix of almond flour, Panko and Cotija cheese. I dipped the pounded thin chicken cutlets in an egg wash, then pressed it on the bread crumb mix, flipped, made sure the entire cutlet was breaded, and then put in the fridge for about 30 minutes to ensure the breading would stick when cooked. I pan fried the cutlets in a small amount of olive oil and butter. It only took a few minutes on each side. My husband loves this dish, especially when it comes with the garlic cream sauce.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Pork ribs. A two day cooking process. First the ribs, chopped into bite size pieces (as always in China), are simmered in water for about an hour, drained and cooled. (Water can be re-used as a pork stock with noodles). When cool,  the ribs are marinated with garlic, ginger, chillies, Shaoxing wine, red vinegar, potato starch, a tickle of cumin and a little honey. Stuck in the fridge and left 24 hours.

Next day, they are drained from they marinade and fried until browned. The reserved marinade is added along (with a splash of water if they look like drying out) and simmered for a couple of minutes. Finished with chopped Chinese chives.

Early on in my Silicon Valley career, my boss was a woman who came from Taiwan. We used to like to bring lunch in, usually leftovers of dinner from the night before, and compare the stuff we were cooking and eating.

She brought these ribs in one day, and shared with me her technique of braising/simmering them, as an initial step in her rib dishes. Of course I stole that technique, and it's a good one.  She also had a dish that used dried bamboo shoots, and it too was delicious and the first time I'd ever tasted that product.

To this day, one of my favorite dishes when having dim sum are simmered spareribs in black bean sauce - pai gwat?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

pai gwat?

Pai gwat is the  Cantonese. In Mandarin, the main language of both Taiwan and mainland China,  排骨 - pái gú - it just means ribs, not any particular preparation of such..

I missed out one step in my description of her process. First she brought the raw ribs from cold water to a boil, then discarded that water and started again.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I missed out one step in my description of her process. First she brought the raw ribs from cold water to a boil, then discarded that water and started again.

Your rib dish looks totally worth the time. I used that method years ago as my standard when cooking for gatherings. The chopped ribs provide a better texture variance and sauce ratio to my taste. 

28 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Pai gwat is the  Cantonese. In Mandarin, the main language of both Taiwan and mainland China,  排骨 - pái gú.

Yes! Sometimes I do chicken stock this way. Gets rid of a lot of the skimming I normally have to do.

• Thanks 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Yes! Sometimes I do chicken stock this way. Gets rid of a lot of the skimming I normally have to do.

Me too. Normal technique in China. Gets rid of most of the crud.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 2

@Franci – the Teglia alla Romana looks delicious.  I was so happy to see you post.  You’ve been missed!

@Steve Irby – this is the second time in the last few weeks I’ve seen a mention of transglutanminase.  I am intrigued.  Never thought I would be, but I’ve been thinking of trying to scratch make chicken Kiev again and that would certainly make forming them easier.  I will think of this and ask advice if I decide to order some. 

@liuzhou – I am glad you told us about your friend that you lost and the dish that you associate with her.  Food connections to our loved ones, both here and gone, are some of the strongest associations I know of. 

Jessica requested chicken taco salads for dinner.  All the goodies:

IMG_2374.jpg.9eab582efb236d664d78da77324ab36a.jpg

My plate:

IMG_2375.jpg.c0ddc459bbdeb33b55b81811f079aaee.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Today was my wedding anniversary.  Normally, my husband and I would be dining out, but of course given everything, it was contactless takeout.  Wellfleet oysters, so briny and cold. We had two boxes of these and could have had more since we shared with my sister and my husband's brother.

oysters.thumb.jpg.61ae0f13dbcd63c18c5b14264dd31188.jpg

My husband's brother had a grilled swordfish sandwich

1734963644_macsswordfish.thumb.jpg.f74babaa1d90c5bd13e843b72bf1a69b.jpg

Husband had grilled scallops

1757146840_macsscallops.thumb.jpg.2e9df8faa58dc6345c1e7989b087b22a.jpg

I had grilled tuna

867966960_macstuna.thumb.jpg.77cb59d647049033d83403967587b818.jpg

Sister had coconut curry fish stew

1242506808_macscaribbeanstew.thumb.jpg.2edcb0abd572ecba7fb376b8375646fa.jpg

No pictures of the kid's food: niece had sushi that you have already seen and I made nephew a sausage and pepper sub.

The plates we eat off at this house were all drawn by the house's family and friends to commemorate the 65th wedding anniversary of the (now late) owners.  We are at 23 years.  I can only hope for 65!

• Like 17

Happy anniversary @liamsaunt!   Love oysters :)

I forgot to take a picture of dinner! Very little vegetables left in the house...urgently need to go shopping. I defrosted 2 octopus legs and steamed a potato, added a handful of chickpeas to it, oil and parsley. I grilled 2 pieces of Wagyu sirloin and made a small plate with beets (bought under vacuum to use for emergencies 😄) plus baked something that looked a cross between a ciabatta and a focaccia. Not bad! 

• Like 4

Thank you so much, @Ann_T!  

@liamsaunt – Happy Anniversary!  I love the plates! What a lovely way to celebrate.  Would someone please get in touch with Jessica and tell her that would be a great idea for our 40th😁 That gives her 2 years! 

Did a BBQ pork tenderloin in the IP tonight.  Served with a baked sweet potato and corn.  Mr. Kim got kale, but I forgot to take a picture of the finished dish:

IMG_2381.jpg.2490e2fde7a40d18aa4f56c41270b0c2.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg.cfacd84173481bf0a16667850e6792d4.jpg

IMG_2376.thumb.jpg.6dfade585696b81bc75b2186c2da4522.jpg

Greater love hath no woman than to cook this stinky stuff.  

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

– I am glad you told us about your friend that you lost and the dish that you associate with her.  Food connections to our loved ones, both here and gone, are some of the strongest associations I know of. 

Yes. I too was saddened to hear of your recent loss.

• Thanks 1

I needed star anise, scallions, and cilantro.  So I made my way to Shoprite.  I also had been craving steak.  I was taken aback that Shoprite actually had star anise.  But I did not see any steak that looked appealing.  I asked the butcher if he had any rib steak?  He looked in the case, then he looked in the back.  He was sorry, there was no rib steak.

I put a strip steak in my cart.

Then I noticed a display of about a dozen Pat LaFrieda dry aged rib steaks.  No price.  Quietly I put the strip steak back.  The Pat LaFrieda rung up at $35.99 a pound.  These are not normal times.

Ribeye06022020.png

One may remonstrate with the price but you cannot complain about the meat.

Dinner06022020.png

I forgot the cilantro.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou