• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Larb-ish pork over jasmine rice - red onion, garlic, thai basil (from garden), red curry, fish sc, lime, coconut milk -  looks like dog food but tasted great.

larb.thumb.jpg.03d0ee4332a593373359ab825cfa6cf9.jpg

• Like 15

That wasn't chicken

It was Moe's birthday yesterday. 

1906256108_RackofLambseasoned1.thumb.jpg.fd5ce826e358ca693ee29c4420dd4a0b.jpg

I went into the butcher before work and picked up a rack of lamb. I had time to season it before leaving for work.

1835731438_RackofLambplated.thumb.jpg.2c609cc1116b8e1b38c837191f8de8a8.jpg

Grilled and served with roasted potatoes, steamed radishes, zucchini and cherry tomatoes. And a homemade mint sauce.

405979881_StrawberriesdippedinChocolatewithcreamcheesefilling.thumb.jpg.106333bb7107751ac446f97548004171.jpg

And for dessert, I piped sweetened cream cheese into the strawberries and dipped them in chocolate.
It is a family tradition to always have something with strawberries on Moe's birthday.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 8

Sweet potato and 3 goat & sheep cheeses cannelloni. Roasted sweet potatoes, onion, fresh goat cheese, feta, with chives, sage, nutmeg, pepper. Kashkaval bechamel.

IMG_20200524_215340.thumb.jpg.8e7deaf302218acdd1f49d7d32c9af79.jpgIMG_20200524_215905.thumb.jpg.01b3758436f9d5f873f3053caaeabd39.jpgIMG_20200526_214912.thumb.jpg.cdff940f411e490b3e0428d762a3bb56.jpgIMG_20200526_215257.thumb.jpg.84721c858ea464da0994d2b404e31ad5.jpgIMG_20200526_215401.thumb.jpg.8c66b0ea57291583b31bcccb6cb4e7c4.jpg

I like making cannelloni :)

• Like 13
  • Delicious 8

~ Shai N.

temps have gotten quite warm in SW Florida.

Dinner was wild canned tuna, canned and rinsed white beans, red onion, parsley, lemon juice and olive oil. Added a single campari tomato and 1/2 of an avocado after the picture was taken.

IMG_1021 2.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, scamhi said:

temps have gotten quite warm in SW Florida.

Dinner was wild canned tuna, canned and rinsed white beans, red onion, parsley, lemon juice and olive oil. Added a single campari tomato and 1/2 of an avocado after the picture was taken.

IMG_1021 2.jpg

That is a favorite dish here too.  I made a batch two days ago.  Mine has vinegar rather than lemon juice, and I used a Vidalia onion.

But now I'm in a quandary.  I'm left with two or three cups of bean broth that tasted too good to throw out.  I'm not sure what to do with it.  Suggestions welcome.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But now I'm in a quandary.  I'm left with two or three cups of bean broth that tasted too good to throw out.  I'm not sure what to do with it.  Suggestions welcome.

This might seem pretty "duh" but I use it like stock for soups  especially with bitter greens. Based on your posts you seem to do more composed recipe based meals. I'd kill for some right now as my soup needs oomph. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, heidih said:

This might seem pretty "duh" but I use it like stock for soups  especially with bitter greens. Based on your posts you seem to do more composed recipe based meals. I'd kill for some right now as my soup needs oomph. 

Thanks.  I was thinking just to drink the bean broth as it is and call it "soup".  But I have a couple containers of frozen soup to which the bean broth might make a good addition.  Thing is I have to do something with it soon.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks.  I was thinking just to drink the bean broth as it is and call it "soup".  But I have a couple containers of frozen soup to which the bean broth might make a good addition.  Thing is I have to do something with it soon.

Hello Birds Eye freezing empire;) Madhur Jaffrey in one of her books talks about serving a very thin dal (so bean broth) in pretty teacups as a course to producer Ismail Merchant.( or maybe he served it to her (distant memory)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Delicious 1

On 5/27/2020 at 7:33 PM, liamsaunt said:

I am very sorry for the loss of your Mom.  These are strange times, not being able to be there for loved ones at the end.  My husband and I went through the same with his Dad recently.  Like you, no services scheduled as of now. 

liamsaunt and @Kim Shook my condolences to you and your families. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Soupy bean dish? I love this elixir!

• Thanks 1

We are on a plant based diet.. And when I say diet, i mean, it's our diet, not a diet.  Our diet does not include alcohol.. We will change that soon and maybe some shellfish in a couple of weeks but, plants for now.  

Well, plants and cubes of this stuff.    I know, considering that beautiful pizza above,  this grey block is a hard sell.. Firm tofu, hand pressed to drain, then set on a rack for the day. 

49950657777_2dc75117ac_z.jpg

Made a chile oil with those red dried chile peppers at you see with general tso chicken.. Tianjin peppers, one serano sliced mixed with hot oil.. Browned the peppers and then let it cool.. 

49950658727_6180f6222f_z.jpg

In hot oil I added freshly ground sichuan peppercorns, then a little later  ginger, garlic, then the sliced mushrooms, broccoli tops, (the large thick steams I cubed in large cubes and boiled in salt water before adding to the broccoli tops) some spicy bean paste, sugar, shaoshing cooking wine,  that tiajin chile oil, a little sesame oil,  corn starch, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar.   Made a side of basmatic rice with a little ginger, salt and white pepper in it.

49949866778_9e53805cda_z.jpg

This was really good, i will eat this again. 

49950363966_1d99e50e39_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

Soupy bean dish? I love this elixir!

The liquid wouldn't have worked in the dish the beans were for.  What would happen if I used the broth for cooking another batch of beans?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BKEats said:

49949866778_9e53805cda_z.jpg

This was really good, i will eat this again. 

Much of what I cook I will eat again...not necessarily cook again.

• Haha 2

Egg cream

49950930442_890acc4cce_z.jpg

Pretty "creamy",  when the bubbles were added and I vigorously mixed.. i used a little glass, maybe 5 or 6 ounces.  Lots of chocolate. 

49950930407_a7ff8a5d86_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 6

Thank you again to the folks who have offered their condolences.  It means so much to me. 

Dinner was another Martha Stewart Living recipe – Twice Cooked Ham and Cheese Croissants.  Mize:

IMG_2354.jpg.f3c27afd0e7ff50d4750c087901b71dc.jpg

Croissants, baby Swiss, grated Gruyere, ham, and mayo/Dijon blend.  Sandwich with baked beans and fixed up (with leftover vegetables) Campbell’s Beef Vegetable soup:

IMG_2356.jpg.f6a860b686380f84c6a6abf45eb3c1aa.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg.4bbb22d9023b906182698310bcec2bb4.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

-Trigger warning - Junk Food Ahead - 

Story time... 

Couple of days ago I thought I had a heart to heart with the hubster about Dinner. I absolutely do not mind being the one that cooks 95% of the time. Honestly I prefer it, I'm home earlier etc etc. What I HATE is having to choose WHAT is for dinner every night. I've tried to do meal plans with contributions and the like but it never ends up sticking. So we had a chat and I asked if he could at least give me some options to choose from with the stuff I have. He said ok. 

So I text him early this morning and asked for his options. He replied "KFC, Maccas, Sushi, Cheesecake" 🤬

So I drove... Alot. (Downloaded Apps to Covid order things don't panic). 

And this is Dinner  - 10 wicked wings. Reheated in the Airfryer. 

20200530_185651.thumb.jpg.e6bff36b00a0b67813379da410d8e824.jpg

There is a double cheese burger, two pieces of Sushi and a Cheesecake in the Fridge. 

20200530_185827.thumb.jpg.eae58e0ff56918aacd62aae87762e17d.jpg

In the words of The Highlander. 

There can be only One - Smartarse in this family. 

And it me.

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 11

20 hours ago, scamhi said:

As @JoNorvelleWalker mentioned, a favorite of mine as well; I think I first made (100 years ago) it via a book by Martha Rose Shulman called Mediterranean Light. She may have even substituted yogurt in for some of the olive oil.

10 hours ago, BKEats said:

Well, plants and cubes of this stuff.    I know, considering that beautiful pizza above,  this grey block is a hard sell.. Firm tofu, hand pressed to drain, then set on a rack for the day. 

Have you ever frozen and defrosted the tofu? Kinda makes for a great texture and gets rid of a lot of the moisture.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

58 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Have you ever frozen and defrosted the tofu? Kinda makes for a great texture and gets rid of a lot of the moisture.

Never... I have literally cooked with tofu less than 20 times in my life... We developed a spicy tofu bahn mi for the shop   We press and then messed with the frying temps, lengths and the amount of times.. But, never froze.  I will have to try it, thanks! 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Frozen/defrosted tofu is a regular hotpot ingredient which I always look forward to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto