• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@liuzhou - your chives look chubbier than what I get. My markets tend to have green and yellow - both the flat and the blooms about to open ones. I prefer green overall. You?

21 minutes ago, heidih said:

@liuzhou - your chives look chubbier than what I get. My markets tend to have green and yellow - both the flat and the blooms about to open ones. I prefer green overall. You?

I like both. Depends on the dish.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@Kim Shook -- I am so very sorry to hear of your mom's passing. It is never an easy thing, whether we lose them in the prime of life or after a long illness. May God's grace comfort you, Mr. Kim and Jessica.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Kim Shook, our condolences on your mother's passing.  May her memory be a blessing.

Panko shrimp with assorted cold veggies because the pepper was about to go past its prime and the avocado was ready.

panko-shrimp-3.jpg.96f6d73240a0c943de63f1adf1d5b7b3.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Salad of radish and kohlrabi with cucumber, mayonnaise, pickled ginger, ginger juice, rice vinegar, garlic, crisp wasabi peas.

Takoyaki made in a muffin tin, with various addons: peas, cabbage, pickled ginger, calamari / oyster mushrooms. Sauce. Couldn't get anori :(IMG_20200523_211321.thumb.jpg.840a08da3719e8d255a8712bc36cffa5.jpg

IMG_20200523_214450.thumb.jpg.47f4f887e5fc1c7c8f6f146fc21d8490.jpg

Mufifn tin works pretty well - they were crisp with a chewy-soft center.

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

@Kim Shook our condolences as well.  Whata crazy time we're living in.  

Other night we did a meat fondue with venison loins.  It's been a long time, maybe 10yrs.  A nostalgic special occasion dish we went nuts for as kids.  The oil works so well w the lean deer.  20 secs for med-rare at 375ish. Didn't have time to make the scs my mom did.  We had a mayo w jalapeno and cilantro paste and a sushi style spicy mayo (siracha, mayo, drop of fish sc for funk) fried rice on the side.  

In case  you've never seen one otherwise this pic doesn't offer much: 

fond1.thumb.jpg.ce00124b8f95508f2f5212fb790b5b28.jpg

• Like 9

That wasn't chicken

First – thank you all so much for your messages and words of caring and support.  I can’t express strongly enough how helpful and important that is to me and my family. ❤️❤️❤️

@liamsaunt – please pass on my condolences to your husband.  It is a strange ‘goodbye’ certainly.  I want your entire meal right NOW!  I’ve often done a sweet rub on salmon, but never served it with fruit and that is a great idea.  And the garlic bread!  So gorgeous.

@Eatmywords– your fondue made me crave it!  Mr. Kim grew up with beef fondue as dinner and chocolate fondue as dessert on the night his family decorated the Christmas tree and we’ve continued the tradition most years.  I can’t find any evidence that we did this last year! 

As I said in my last post, I did indeed manage to make dinner in the midst of phone calls and emails and lovely messages from loved ones about my mother.  Did a Martha Stewart Living Magazine recipe for Alsatian Flatbread – flatbread, ricotta, fontina (couldn’t find it, used raclette), caramelized onions, and ham:

IMG_2337.jpg.b562ee0fdd603fd27df7b3e5506b682f.jpg

Out of the oven:

IMG_2340.jpg.cb10f11c5a2f53987a00cc118e288790.jpg

Served with some marinated tomatoes & cukes and decent corn:

IMG_2338.thumb.jpg.190f57ac48568d6ec8a54c05e1dc1412.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg.37e3c28ab286d3c7d3025029e8676e37.jpg

And also some leftover green beans:

IMG_2342.thumb.jpg.7591284a69010ed02aa4227a2535f8e4.jpg

The flatbread was good, but a little bland.  I think a change to country ham or prosciutto would improve things.  It was my first time tasting raclette and I was surprised at how "stinky" it was - in a good way!  Is that what is is supposed to be, or did I get off cheese?

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

Please don't judge.

John wanted something "easy"  ie familiar.

He gets up and eats "breakfast:" around noon, lunch around 5, dinner around 10 and stuff in between.

I cook in batches and he only wants certain things - shrimp and pasta, smooch (bison, pasta and tomatoes), chicken noodle soup - and make sure everything is gluten free.

His favorite thing when up in Poughkeepsie - filet o' fish.  OK some pollack baked, tasty tots, sauteed zucchini, homemade tartar sauce.

Also used some chicken and gravy, carrots, peas and a topping of mashed potatoes for a casserole he can nosh on.

Tomorrow making Italian style shrimp and pasta with olive oil, olives, and capers for him.

Other stuff for  him will be more chicken soup and potatoes to make eggy potatoes for his breakfast and potato salad to add into snacks.

• Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

14 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Please don't judge.

John wanted something "easy"  ie familiar.

He gets up and eats "breakfast:" around noon, lunch around 5, dinner around 10 and stuff in between.

I cook in batches and he only wants certain things - shrimp and pasta, smooch (bison, pasta and tomatoes), chicken noodle soup - and make sure everything is gluten free.

His favorite thing when up in Poughkeepsie - filet o' fish.  OK some pollack baked, tasty tots, sauteed zucchini, homemade tartar sauce.

Also used some chicken and gravy, carrots, peas and a topping of mashed potatoes for a casserole he can nosh on.

Tomorrow making Italian style shrimp and pasta with olive oil, olives, and capers for him.

Other stuff for  him will be more chicken soup and potatoes to make eggy potatoes for his breakfast and potato salad to add into snacks.

Not one of us would judge this--it all sounds delicious!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TdeV said:

Such appealing photos, Liamsaunt! Is the garlic in the bread as well as on top of it? If it's in the bread, recipe please.

Thank you!  No, the bread is from my CSA.  Here is the recipe I used to make the green garlic bread:

Green garlic toast

Today, we decamped for a while.  We had to sign a long lease to do it, but it is worth it, and we are still in isolation.  Dinner via contactless takeout:

2128789364_macssushi2.thumb.jpg.418aa47ea6c7e2cc2cf82cdb6b9f9696.jpg

901507512_macssushi.thumb.jpg.303b28c61e2d627aacedec99ca824d2a.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Took a long walk and wanted a light dinner, chopped up half of an English cuke, some feta leftover in the fridge, pouch of tuna. Squirt of lemon juice, grind of black pepper, fresh dill (well, actually freezer stock, I found that fresh dill keeps OK). Leftovers will be for lunch tomorrow. Might add some capers.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 5/27/2020 at 4:33 PM, liamsaunt said:

We all enjoyed a piece of vampire repeller bread (aka green garlic bread). I got another bunch of green garlic in today's CSA box and have designs to eat it with some littleneck clams.  

53481814_greengarlicbruschetta.thumb.jpg.d2dd6cb5b918d732f1f36250babaf060.jpg

Oh, wow @liamsaunt!  I could eat that whole plate of bread all by myself.  It looks so good!

• Like 4