• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

10 minutes ago, kayb said:

But damn, that'd be a great name!

Right up to the point that you want to type it for a shout-out!

• Haha 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Carrots with tofu, peanuts, chili, scallions, ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cumin. Some soy sauce and vinegar.

Silken tofu with stir fried mushrooms and duo jiao yu style sauce of pickled chilies, douchi, scallions, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar.

IMG_20200522_221233.jpg

IMG_20200522_221401.jpg

IMG_20200522_221418.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

Lettuce supercropping 

33B2B178-9F95-42B3-876C-573DF46F4B55.thumb.jpeg.8fc9a0e915c86819de8fd4514f2f631c.jpeg

summery outdoor dinner - house cured gravlax, fresh squid in young garlic oil-grilled, potato avocado salad and Korean carrot and celery slaw/pickley thing 

96EE9DE9-BC56-424A-BED9-3E31FD4529F7.thumb.jpeg.6bef20c9b465dfc439b6d78a8f1d4ecd.jpeg6B30AD2D-BFE8-487E-8B8E-258F8613AC1B.thumb.jpeg.c0cf611d155cbb8d87a80f203ab253fd.jpegB4708B62-33E9-4AAF-9C23-4CC521204FA4.thumb.jpeg.5a3e748532379cdf9415295c0ae075f7.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Trying something for the first time...

1439031280_Fideua05-26IMG_1066.jpeg.4f7bab9f2c8dfa97fe7d0eb26a467282.jpeg

Fideuà with mushrooms and a tiny bit of chorizo. Fideuà is sort of like paella made not with rice, but with these noodles...

929845398_Fideua.jpeg.e6dfdd6040d884dbe79768c632915852.jpeg

Since I don't recall ever having eaten this in a restaurant, nor in a Valencianos' home, I can't compare it to the "real thing." But it was pretty good; I toasted the noodles first (in the oven), and they absorbed the perfect amount of liquid (in this case, mushroom stock), but I would've like a crunchier top, even though I blasted it for a few minutes under the broiler. Next time.

Served with a pan roasted NY strip, and some also surprisingly good frozen green beans, as my vegetable supply is waning (delivery today!).

1526686821_Steakplated05-26IMG_1068.jpeg.d7a42ef4b9dfc5bb7161773f5ea7fdbe.jpeg

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

929845398_Fideua.jpeg.e6dfdd6040d884dbe79768c632915852.jpeg

Nice - even got the right pasta !

I’ve eaten my fair share of fideos, and thanks to my Catalan wife I make decent ones as well (not that she teaches me, its more of an evolutionary approach from my side to get approval 😉). Yours looks great !

A crispy top is a must, and a strong stock (either seafood, snails, other added protein) is required as well. Typically,  however, fideua is not a side dish to a pretein, but really the star of the party. If you can, try to put more protein in there (rabbit, chicken, snails for a farmers version or clams, shrimp, monk fish for a seafood version - or a mix for that “mar i muntanya” approach) and serve with a good allioli ... 

Edit: found this picture from our Christmas fideua ...

CAB326DD-74E4-4B2F-A358-A8E9A7B24168.thumb.jpeg.cdb9ac68a09d22fe12fabb2cba5e17ae.jpeg

Edited by Duvel
Picture added ... (log)
  • Like 15

Leftovers turned into something “Chinese” ...

Squid, green asparagus & black beans

9F20F859-5E48-4CBE-A704-44F42D7BA597.thumb.jpeg.13199fd0cf51f1df4ea825d5ab121e7c.jpeg

Cabbage, garlic, chili, Sichuan pepper

E71B9A97-44F7-4F22-90C3-33B8E032A4D9.thumb.jpeg.e968214a3bad36d4125b3be803585463.jpeg

Jiaozi

E1871C1A-B71C-443F-8009-80BB62251C80.thumb.jpeg.9de392ddf3642d782843eb825cfc71b4.jpeg

Served with soy, sesame, vinegar and chili oil 

F029F7A0-AACE-49C6-B4C6-A11478EDAC04.thumb.jpeg.fec8cf07c126d74b7060184e5fee62f7.jpeg

Miso soup (yeah, I don’t know either ...)

70BE2A65-755A-40AF-B1B6-8E124621D713.thumb.jpeg.6ba548db6130c5646f162bf421761006.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Nice - even got the right pasta !

I’ve eaten my fair share of fideos, and thanks to my Catalan wife I make decent ones as well (not that she teaches me, its more of an evolutionary approach from my side to get approval 😉). Yours looks great !

A crispy top is a must, and a strong stock (either seafood, snails, other added protein) is required as well. Typically,  however, fideua is not a side dish to a pretein, but really the star of the party. If you can, try to put more protein in there (rabbit, chicken, snails for a farmers version or clams, shrimp, monk fish for a seafood version - or a mix for that “mar i muntanya” approach) and serve with a good allioli ... 

Edit: found this picture from our Christmas fideua ...

Thanks!

I did read (after) about the fact that fideua generally has seafood and seafood stock as components; certainly more protein than mine had. As well as the fact that it's the centerpiece; mine wasn't because I was worried it might really suck.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

This is completely off-topic, but I wanted as many people to see it as possible.  Everyone at eG has always been so kind about my mom and offered ideas and advice regarding the challenges of her living with us with dementia.  You were also so supportive when I could no longer care for her at home and she went into a nursing home.  And some of you even remember my dad, @Ted Fairhead, who posted here before he passed away.  Well, I wanted to let you all know that she passed away last night.  It was very peaceful and calm.  We were not able to be there, but they did allow me to visit her Monday.  I spent two hours with her and although she couldn't respond, I am sure that on some level she heard the messages of love from her family and friends.  

At some point, when things are safer, we’ll be having a memorial service to celebrate her life.  

Today has been crazy with phone calls and decisions to be made (thank goodness for Mr. Kim and Jessica), but in a little while I’m planning on making dinner for Mr. Kim and me.  That should be comforting and soothing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 22

9 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

This is completely off-topic, but I wanted as many people to see it as possible.  Everyone at eG has always been so kind about my mom and offered ideas and advice regarding the challenges of her living with us with dementia.  You were also so supportive when I could no longer care for her at home and she went into a nursing home.  And some of you even remember my dad, @Ted Fairhead, who posted here before he passed away.  Well, I wanted to let you all know that she passed away last night.  It was very peaceful and calm.  We were not able to be there, but they did allow me to visit her Monday.  I spent two hours with her and although she couldn't respond, I am sure that on some level she heard the messages of love from her family and friends.  

At some point, when things are safer, we’ll be having a memorial service to celebrate her life.  

Today has been crazy with phone calls and decisions to be made (thank goodness for Mr. Kim and Jessica), but in a little while I’m planning on making dinner for Mr. Kim and me.  That should be comforting and soothing. 

Oh Kim.  Ronnie and I are so very very sorry for your loss.  You are such a great daughter and you did amazing with her.  I am so happy that you were allowed in for a while.  I know that she heard your voice and knew you were there.  She's up there with your dad and watching over you and Mr. Kim and Jessica now.  

I'm glad you can cook a nice soothing dinner this evening.  You deserve it.    (((hugs)))

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Paneer spinach curry.  Sorrel sauce (I had to cook some and I would eat this stuff on shoe leather).  Warm sake.  Jasmine rice not pictured.

It would be unkind and cruel not to share the sorrel sauce method! Love the spinach paneer curry as well My local India Sweets does lovely saag

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I am very sorry for the loss of your Mom.  These are strange times, not being able to be there for loved ones at the end.  My husband and I went through the same with his Dad recently.  Like you, no services scheduled as of now. 

Tonight, salmon that I cured in brown sugar, salt and garlic powder, then cedar planked on the grill, over a mixed greens salad with blackberries and a raspberry vinaigrette.

salmon.thumb.jpg.647a755005d1e84988e032d7ed76252e.jpg

Not for my nephew of course.  He had pasta with a raw cherry tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella.

136014056_pastafresca.thumb.jpg.92444b5ef001581e12ed4f60f2b9f33e.jpg

We all enjoyed a piece of vampire repeller bread (aka green garlic bread). I got another bunch of green garlic in today's CSA box and have designs to eat it with some littleneck clams.  

53481814_greengarlicbruschetta.thumb.jpg.d2dd6cb5b918d732f1f36250babaf060.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

59 minutes ago, heidih said:

It would be unkind and cruel not to share the sorrel sauce method! Love the spinach paneer curry as well My local India Sweets does lovely saag

My pleasure.  The beauty is in it's simplicity.

In a EVOO/Butter mix (equal parts) saute onions and a clove or two of garlic, thrown in towards the end.  Once slightly golden (you can take it further but I really like the sour aspect of sorrel and too much caramelizing might counter that) add in roughly chopped sorrel.  Cook till it starts to break down.

From here you can choose to add a bit of white wine (I did not, tonight) or more butter or even cream (which I opted for in this instance, simply because I had some leftover from the curry).  Season to taste.

My family's preference is salmon (though lately I have much preferred ocean trout!) tataki slathered with sorrel sauce.

My condolences about your mom @Kim Shook

Edited by TicTac
noticed Kim's post (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

DH complained that he didn’t have pasta for a long time.  So there we go.  Tomato purée, ground pork, carrots, onions, leftover Asian mushroom condiment of unknown provenance.  It actually tasted good despite my dislike of the red sauce.

AC56EA75-86EB-45FB-A72C-7E3D8DC8110F.thumb.jpeg.072555db2c680d88fb180936a5dab04b.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

My hearts with you all

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Kim Shook, I'm so sorry about your mum. I'm glad you were just able to visit her. This may sound a little odd, but now is the time to allow yourself to wallow in your love for your mum; sadly, your pain will diminish over time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

We all enjoyed a piece of vampire repeller bread (aka green garlic bread)

Such appealing photos, Liamsaunt! Is the garlic in the bread as well as on top of it? If it's in the bread, recipe please.

• Like 1

Green spring garlic holds a place in my taste heart.  Oh my as the allium in my ripe tomato based salsa. Forget the rest of the meal. 

• Like 1

Pizza05282020.png

Three minute pizza.  Perhaps my finest effort yet.  Top and bottom equally well charred and blackened.  Unlike as all too often happens the pie did not end up on the oven floor.  Buffalo mozzarella, basil from my dining room.

Dinner05282020.png

Only sad part, I could eat but half of it.

• Like 17
  • Delicious 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 hours ago, weinoo said:

@Paul Bacino What's going on with those morels - I just received 1/2 lb. in a deliver, and inquiring minds want to know!

I make a light egg wash about 50% egg andf the other water/ could use milk.

Since they will arrive delivered they are probably fresh ( I know ) but they will be somewhat dry.

This allows the dusting of your coating to stick to the shrooms.  For this batch.  Take a zip lock bag  use about 1/2 cup of your coating to shake shrooms in.

My dusting was 50% WONDER FLOUR AND 50 % AP.   with just some added salt and pepper.  I used 1 full stick of butter usually.

I fry cut side down first ( I cut mine in half so they lie flatter ).  Flip and then toward the end add a bit of minced garlic.

Should look like this!!  when done.   I also like a light dusting of a fine semalina flour at times

49935264607_d7933ce386_b.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels