• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@Shelby, my husband rhapsodizes every year about new potatoes and peas in white sauce. If I show him your photo, he'll go berserk and demand that we go shopping right NOW!  My father, rest his soul, also would have found that image evocative of his happy childhood and his mother's spring cookery.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

@Shelby, my husband rhapsodizes every year about new potatoes and peas in white sauce. If I show him your photo, he'll go berserk and demand that we go shopping right NOW!  My father, rest his soul, also would have found that image evocative of his happy childhood and his mother's spring cookery.

I'm the same way!  Oh those tiny, tender potatoes.....delicious.  I just ate some cold straight out of the fridge.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm the same way!  Oh those tiny, tender potatoes.....delicious.  I just ate some cold straight out of the fridge.

Mind you, I love potatoes in just about any form...but the baby potatoes may be my favorites!

• Like 3

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I have to have creamed peas and new potatoes at least once a spring and last night was the night.  I make sure to plant extra potatoes so that I don't feel guilty about digging up the little guys :)

thumbnail_IMG_7830.jpg.ef14a171d599049727018b6e568944fe.jpg

Oh gosh - my favorite dish from childhood. For some bizarre reason we planted the 'taters near the only oleander - no fatalities. How do you make your cream sauce. Ours was just a blond roux with milk.

• Like 2

Lockdown dinner was a nice piece of Salmon marinated and crusted with Chermoula and baby potatoes crowning the Salmon.

The pre-dinner drink which also served as dessert was a concoction of Mangoes and Rum.

Fresh diamond cut Alphonso Mango mixed with Mango Sorbet and made wet with a dash of Lime and Pitu Cachaca. Few Walnuts for crunchiness .

GVvg9Rf.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, gfweb said:

But corona is a respiratory virus. You'd have to snort the olives..

But, yeah, I don't do buffets or salad bars because people are pigs.

I haven't snorted anything in a real long time! And it's really way more about the hands of people I worry about. Have you ever seen someone steal an olive from an olive or salad bar, with their friggin' fingers?! There is nothing more disgusting.

1126535992_Porkchopdinner05-24IMG_1051.jpeg.7528b34d284333e46b288babb079b76f.jpeg

Dinner last night was a braised pork chop, served with a ramp butter, mustard, white wine, chicken stock sauce. With some well-cooked broccoli di cicco, my new favorite crucifer for as long as it remains in season.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

Mind you, I love potatoes in just about any form...but the baby potatoes may be my favorites!

I'm partial to 'em as well, but mine aren't even planted yet. The last killing frost here was only the night before last. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I think my favorite treatment of new potatoes is to put them in the CSO tray, lay the rack on top of them, and bake chicken or pork chops. I could eat a bajillion of 'em.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, heidih said:

OK you had me at the "on the vine raisins" - so picked after they wrinkle on their own? Source? Awfully gorgeous tuna as well.

the brand is mojave.  you can go direct and they are like 4  or you can buy on amazon for 7..  

4 hours ago, kayb said:

Have to confess I'd never thought of frying onions with the addition of clove. And raisins. Pass on the raisins, but I'm intrigued by the clove notion. I have added a bit of sugar before, but never vinegar.

I personally hated raisins for years before I tried them in the less traditional way.. Someone who adds raising to oatmeal or rice pudding, or especially a bagel is a monster!  😆 I first came around to the idea of raisins by either Boulod or Jean Georges who mades this caper mustard raisin sauce for scallops.. I made this sauce and used it for many things... It was delicious.. Also, if you soak raisins or currants and use it in savory dishes or with pasta con sarde, or fennel in raisins.. were they have time to get plump and soak up a sauce, they can be quite enjoyable.. but, put them in dessert and i will pass... 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BKEats said:

I personally hated raisins for years before I tried them in the less traditional way.. Someone who adds raising to oatmeal or rice pudding, or especially a bagel is a monster!  😆 I first came around to the idea of raisins by either Boulod or Jean Georges who mades this caper mustard raisin sauce for scallops.. I made this sauce and used it for many things... It was delicious.. Also, if you soak raisins or currants and use it in savory dishes or with pasta con sarde, or fennel in raisins.. were they have time to get plump and soak up a sauce, they can be quite enjoyable.. but, put them in dessert and i will pass... 

I invariably put them in my oatmeal, my rice pudding and my bread pudding. Also my butter tarts, and sometimes I'll add raisins and walnuts to an apple strudel or apple pie.

In most of those applications, they do indeed get plump and tender.

• Like 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Grilled for “planned overs”...DH cooked a large piece of beef for himself, boneless skinless chicken breasts for my dinner and 2 future meals. Corn on the cob, basic salad. @BKEats reminded me that I had some golden beets in the fridge, sliced them around a half inch thick and cooked in a foil pan with a little oil, ginger powder, curry powder, salt, drizzle of honey (those will be for tomorrow’s dinner). Tiny fingerling potatoes cooked in foil, ate half and the other half will be for tomorrow.

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

3 hours ago, BKEats said:

Yup.

Finding a raisin in pastry is like finding a cockaroach.  Maybe worse.

For some reason, cranzins don't offend me at all.

• Like 1

Dried cherries, yes. Dried cranberries, yes. Dried barberries, yes yes yes. But perhaps due to overexposure in childhood, I flinch at raisins now. The broccoli salad I made today has barberries in place of raisins, and we'll love it.

...but....

wouldn't you know it...now that I've taken to baking bread again, my DH is reminiscing about his mother's cinnamon rolls and hinting strongly that I should make them. With raisins. O.o

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

First experiment of Cantonese whole steamed fish (striped bass). Definitely worth another shot soon and paired nicely with this 2010 Riesling which had tons of flinty acidity.

ETA: BTW, the fish was steamed in the CSO....

IMG_20200525_194625.thumb.jpg.e7f1818c4af78b25bb1de0aa3bc72791.jpg

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

@mgaretz – I truly need to put tri-tip on the shopping list.  Every time you make one, I should it to Mr. Kim and he says, “Please make that”. 

@Captain – I gasped out loud when I saw that pork.  Then both Mr. Kim and our daughter, Jessica, walked by and were caught!  That pork, those cracklins!  Jessica wanted to know if we got pork like that in the US!

@Margaret Pilgrim – what kind of Mexican cheese fries up like that?  Is it like haloumi?

@CantCookStillTry – what an amazing dinner.  @Tropicalsenior is right!  Your name does not reflect your cooking!

@Shelby– I am not a pea eater, but that creamed potatoes and peas is making me think maybe???  Now, about that pork roast.  I will be trying that most definitely.  What cut of pork is that exactly?  It looks and sounds delicious and easy. 

@kayb – the potatoes under roasting chicken in the CSO sounds like a great trick!

@BKEats – that’s funny, I am the exact opposite.  What I find monstrous is someone mucking up sweet, chewy deep dark raisins with goopy, nasty, wet oatmeal or rice pudding (shiver). 

😁  I actually have never found a dried fruit that I didn’t love and I’ve never found a hot cereal or a pudding with “bits” in it that wasn’t awful to me. 

@robirdstx -  I love that broccoli salad – even the red onions (not normally a fan of raw ones), which I mince very, very finely.  Did it have the raisins? 🤣

Made Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers last night.  Onions salted and draining:

IMG_2322.thumb.jpg.51a25177b2d7835736a2b3eb4f925449.jpg

Onions on the bottom and ground beef pressed into round on top of it:

IMG_2323.thumb.jpg.c0804af3c22e6b1353dd8967e2efcabf.jpg

Fried on the onion side and flipped:

IMG_2324.thumb.jpg.a1057d126dd1da1e811812c74aa95f46.jpg

I had a hard time judging how much sliced onion I needed, so with the extra I made onion strings:

IMG_2326.jpg.e95d53bc6ad481c674af993b9fbc2799.jpg

Pretty much the best thing on the table.  Burgers served on brioche rolls topped with muenster and sided with baked potato and green beans for me and yellow squash and green beans for Mr. Kim:

IMG_2327.jpg.366b6b9b9c5c0ae80baaf03f801e2f6f.jpg

These burgers are good, but I’m not sure they are THAT much better than a burger topped with caramelized onions.  I think that getting the onions dark enough tends to make the burgers overcooked. 

Tonight Mr. Kim decided to repeat last night’s dinner:

IMG_2328.thumb.jpg.c194580ae01de85fb5e8170bc76e24bc.jpg

I went a little farther back with a chili-cheese dog, baked beans, strawberry-crème salad, and green beans:

IMG_2329.jpg.1418cb4218d048501672a01343ef209a.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2