• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

We had the first hottest day this week so something chilled.

NhJxNS7.jpg

u2jeAXM.jpg

eOjmdCC.jpg

Where I am pancakes are more often dinner food rather than breakfast or lunch ("because it's a warm meal"). Also snipped chives and grated horseradish mixed with quark for the pancakes not shown.

QtSEIC3.jpg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 2

Burgers around 3 o clock today.. First meal.. Went on a 5 mile run this morning and was still full when i finished... Went to a local dairy.. It's a gorgeous farm... i think it's passion project for a super wealthy person.. beautiful animals and beautiful facilities.. .the most beautiful accommodations for pigs I have ever seen.. a full concrete building that has arches and domes and is just to house pigs... Beautiful... 

I purchased some ground beef and was told all they have are dairy cows so, there is not a lot of marbling in their steaks.. but, the ground beef was marbled and beautiful.. Just in case, i did a james beard trick and added a bit of cream to the ground beef.. that and some salt and pepper. 

5 6 0z patties = 30 ounces.. it was sold at 34 ounces... and i added cream... hmm 🤔

49932552936_d92e59db12_z.jpg

I want to say this was the best burger meat I have had in recent memory.. I am not a big burger maker but, damn, this was really good ..

So I posted a few photos on instagram and a few people who I know are cooks asked me why I put dimples in the center of the patties.. Is this not a common thing? 

49932542216_ae039f3c84_z.jpg

49932853402_a4b303f3c0_z.jpg

49932865517_479bf6f5c4_z.jpg

these beautiful cows:

49932552831_8a5420445f_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Nachos:  Chips fried.. Chorizo from the Churchtown Farm, i added some water and tomato paste to them... Added the chips, the chorizo, cheese, onions, did two layers... Made some quick guacamole, had sour cream... even young jax at these... 

49932553686_170294d6fd_z.jpg

yes, i packed my gratin and drove it up a 100 miles just on the possibility that someone would want nachos. 

49932541256_b3bcb7a933_z.jpg

I was going to make artichokes but, everyone was too full.. 

Plus I made tiramisu and well, what are you going to do:

49932541926_6ec08aeae1_z.jpg

49932541911_94eb6f4de0_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

14 hours ago, weinoo said:

I have to be honest...I have always had second, and third, and fourth thoughts about scooping olives or anything else out of anything people have touched. Because too many people are basically disgusting.

But corona is a respiratory virus. You'd have to snort the olives..

But, yeah, I don't do buffets or salad bars because people are pigs.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BKEats said:

Burgers around 3 o clock today.. First meal.. Went on a 5 mile run this morning and was still full when i finished... Went to a local dairy.. It's a gorgeous farm... i think it's passion project for a super wealthy person.. beautiful animals and beautiful facilities.. .the most beautiful accommodations for pigs I have ever seen.. a full concrete building that has arches and domes and is just to house pigs... Beautiful... 

I purchased some ground beef and was told all they have are dairy cows so, there is not a lot of marbling in their steaks.. but, the ground beef was marbled and beautiful.. Just in case, i did a james beard trick and added a bit of cream to the ground beef.. that and some salt and pepper. 

5 6 0z patties = 30 ounces.. it was sold at 34 ounces... and i added cream... hmm 🤔

49932552936_d92e59db12_z.jpg

I want to say this was the best burger meat I have had in recent memory.. I am not a big burger maker but, damn, this was really good ..

So I posted a few photos on instagram and a few people who I know are cooks asked me why I put dimples in the center of the patties.. Is this not a common thing? 

49932542216_ae039f3c84_z.jpg

49932853402_a4b303f3c0_z.jpg

49932865517_479bf6f5c4_z.jpg

these beautiful cows:

49932552831_8a5420445f_z.jpg

I dimple my burgers if they are thick. I've never seen testing of this, but i think it does prevent bloating of a fat burger.  I wonder though if Five Guys approach of stacking multiple thin burgers is a better fix. You don't get myoglobin oozing all over, but what's good about that ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, BKEats said:

Nachos:  Chips fried.. Chorizo from the Churchtown Farm, i added some water and tomato paste to them... Added the chips, the chorizo, cheese, onions, did two layers... Made some quick guacamole, had sour cream... even young jax at these... 

49932553686_170294d6fd_z.jpg

yes, i packed my gratin and drove it up a 100 miles just on the possibility that someone would want nachos. 

49932541256_b3bcb7a933_z.jpg

I was going to make artichokes but, everyone was too full.. 

Plus I made tiramisu and well, what are you going to do:

49932541926_6ec08aeae1_z.jpg

49932541911_94eb6f4de0_z.jpg

I hope we will still occasionally be graced with your dinners if and when the world returns to near normal.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Salmon, ramps and asparagus alfredo, more or less. The way this came about was that DH was jonesing for my pasta alfredo with smoked salmon, and I had to do something with fresh salmon. And some gorgeous ramps. And asparagus. I had other plans to use those elements, but what the heck.

20200524_233148.jpg

It was pretty good, and there are leftovers. They too will make good meals.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Was fantastic with this English sparkler that has some residual sugar but great acidity to balance it out.

I had a Nyetimber when I was back in England last year. It is extremely good!

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I hope we will still occasionally be graced with your dinners if and when the world returns to near normal.

That is very nice of you!  I too have enjoyed participating in this community.  Everyone is really talented and supportive and i am so happy to see this part of egullet still active, for so long.  I first learned how to cook on egullet 16 years ago and it’s nice to know others are learning too

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I used the remaining batter to make more spinach-ricotta gnudi / malfatti. This time in tomato sauce with garlic, thyme, chili and olive oil. Parmesan and sourdough.

IMG_20200516_214148_1.jpg

IMG_20200516_214316_1.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

~ Shai N.

So this was from the other day.. whats better than the smell of onions frying...well, you better say nothing, especially when I am frying up three whole onions (vidalia) in a kitchen with just a small charcoal filter fan in it.. 😅  The smartest thing I ever did was put a commercial hood in my house, a hood that vents directly outside.  my house is landmarked and this took an extra 6 months for approval.. So, we literally lived without a kitchen in our house for about a year when we first moved in.. When I say without a kitchen, i mean we had two induction burners, a toaster oven stacked, by fed into one outlet that would constantly blow if more than two things were being operated, a bbq grill and a smoker.. the hard part was not having a kitchen sink.. But, i digress...  The onions were from a local farm and well, it's early spring upstate considering it just snowed last week so, not a ton of products.. but, onions, are sweet and delicious.   I had smoked a few last week and they were just so good. 

Onions frying, then sugar, then vinegar, i used a champagne while the sicilians use i think white wine vinegar.. i have never been to sicily but, had two cancelled trips due to unfortunate circumstances which make me not want to try a third time.. then those on the vine raisins.  sugar and vinegar, the base of many sweet and sour or agrodolce dishes.    I have never tried it but, i bet a little clove in here would be fun.  and when I say a little, it's either a little clove or it's too much clove. you will have the whole dish tasting like purple.. (some times i taste things in colors and clove, all i can see is purple)

49920895648_9712ca4e26_z.jpg

Tuna:

49921714127_fb6f3ae4d8_z.jpg

tuna:

salt and flour:   

49921413666_a22696586d_z.jpg

cook the tuna in a little oil... then cover with the vinegar onions... oh, i added some mint to the onions at the end.. 

i love this dish.. i love vinegar.. like, love vinegar..  this dish is best eaten, well, not best, but, i prefer, eaten cold the next day.. or not cold but, let this sit and get to room temp after cooking and eat it in a few hours.. or put in the fridge, take out, let get to room temp and eat it for lunch the next day.. which, i did and three days later may eat for lunch today. 

49921713917_7c19fb8601_z.jpg

prior to this, i made a scampi.. tons of garlic, paprika, wine, chile, i think that's it. maybe a tomato or tomato paste. 

ok, looks like i used olive oil and butter:  Ha!

49928057503_f360453360_z.jpg

added some spaghetti to the pan when it was done and married it all together.. probably added some more wine and definitely pasta water.. maybe lemon, or lemon rind. 

49932027763_3eb3bcc006_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I had a Nyetimber when I was back in England last year. It is extremely good!

It's the OG of English sparkling, and certainly can go toe to toe with any of the top stuff from France.  The couple who are the winemakers there have a really great story too.  I was recently lucky enough to try 3 of their wines - this Cuvee Cherie (named after their head winemaker) which is their demi-sec (but doesn't come off as that sweet because it is so well balanced), their 2010 '1086 Prestige Cuvee' and their 2010 '1086 Prestige Cuvee Rose'.  All of them were stunning.

Yup, that's a serious spread. Kudos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, Dante said:

Chicken sauteed with tomatoes, onions, and spices, buttercup squash pickle and potato wedges on the side

Is the squash pickled from raw?  Overview of method?

4 hours ago, BKEats said:

Onions frying, then sugar, then vinegar, i used a champagne while the sicilians use i think white wine vinegar.. i have never been to sicily but, had two cancelled trips due to unfortunate circumstances which make me not want to try a third time.. then those on the vine raisins.  sugar and vinegar, the base of many sweet and sour or agrodolce dishes.    I have never tried it but, i bet a little clove in here would be fun.  and when I say a little, it's either a little clove or it's too much clove. you will have the whole dish tasting like purple.. (some times i taste things in colors and clove, all i can see is purple)

49920895648_9712ca4e26_z.jpg

Tuna:

49921714127_fb6f3ae4d8_z.jpg

OK you had me at the "on the vine raisins" - so picked after they wrinkle on their own? Source? Awfully gorgeous tuna as well.

• Like 2

Have to confess I'd never thought of frying onions with the addition of clove. And raisins. Pass on the raisins, but I'm intrigued by the clove notion. I have added a bit of sugar before, but never vinegar.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I have to have creamed peas and new potatoes at least once a spring and last night was the night.  I make sure to plant extra potatoes so that I don't feel guilty about digging up the little guys :)

thumbnail_IMG_7829.jpg.74e2f4564807475440f3dbb9a57e11a4.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7830.jpg.ef14a171d599049727018b6e568944fe.jpg

Ronnie has been wanting a pork roast done in the slow cooker.  I don't remember where I got the recipe, but I've had it for years.  Make slits in the roast and stuff with garlic cloves, salt and pepper and then sear the roast on all sides.  Place sliced onions (and carrots if you wish) in bottom of cooker.  Place roast on top of those along with a couple bay leaves.  More onions on top of roast.  Mix 4 TB soy sauce with 2 cups hot water and pour into cooker.  Cook on low all day long.  When ready, remove roast, carrots and onions.  Pour the liquid into a sauce pan.  Mix 4 TB cornstarch with 4 TB cold water.  Add to liquid and bring to a boil.  Makes a really good gravy.

thumbnail_IMG_7831.jpg.5b0e4974e496d9051e7d8fb0fee26a08.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4