• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

19 hours ago, jedovaty said:

BTW, stirring the roux for 20 minutes, what a PITA!

You could always bake the roux in the oven. Just a suggestion...

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Went to the grocery store, so fresh seafood was in order. Dry sea scallops cooked in a pan with butter/oil and diced shallot. Deglazed the pan with a little stock. Couscous and spinach.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@mgaretz – I love how large the mushrooms are cut in your marsala.  That is exactly how I prefer it.  They are large enough that the people who eat them can really taste them and the people who don’t (like me) can find them and put them to the side. 

@Margaret Pilgrim – your bread is just amazing looking.  So nice and crusty and full of bubbles!

Chicken Parm made with Aldi’s frozen chicken filets, marinara from the freezer, leftover cheese mix from the lasagna soup and some pasta:

IMG_2310.jpg.3a351b0b1eaea2465cefb39b37bc2b6e.jpg

It was good.  Also, filling and frugal.  Chopped salad:

IMG_2308.thumb.jpg.5455937665c98a046329d09a73b46dea.jpg

I believe that Mr. Kim is trying to sabotage my dieting efforts.  He brought me Drake's cakes.  Thus, dessert:

IMG_2311.jpg.602202165c3cc83625ecebff0940a184.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

A shout out to scubadoo.    Hang in and relax.    A few years back, husband had double hernia surgery.   Outpatient.     We lived one long block from the hospital.   After surgery, he was asked about his transportation home.   He told them he was walking.    NO WAY!    YES, I am.   So there was consultation and he was told, it you insist, and we don't recommend it, go NOW before your meds wear off.   

So he did.   All good.    and so you will be...

• Like 4

eGullet member #80.

Dinner for 8... I am isolated upstate with my kids and inlaws... We had my wife's aunts come over as well.  They have been isolated for 3 months... So, why not, we are all walking distance away.  I was told, i gave someone their first non spouse hug in three months..  Anyway, food was had... I marinated 6 lbs of skirt steak in the soy,brown sugar, garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, cilantro thing... while I love to experiment and I really never make the marinade the same way as I don't measure or do the same thing twice, the basic principles are there... Soy and sugar..  Anyway, i hate to be repetitive but, when you are hosting a gathering and have 100 dollars worth of steak on the line, it's good to go to old faithful... Plus, we catered my wife's aunts wedding and I think we made this steak for the hundred or so people that came.  

49919088183_b9f057fed2_z.jpg

49919597651_7c852a9196_z.jpg

I have been just wrapping vegetables in tin foil with some white wine and garlic and using a light smoke on the grill.. It's been fantastic.. The broccoli was not looking so great before I cooked it.. it came out so damn good, it may have been one of the best things on the table.  Between the beets, the asparagus, the eggplant and peppers.. I don't understand why there aren't more vegan bbq restaurants. 

49919897182_c45fdd5a3e_z.jpg

I always find myself using tons of dill in the summer.. Not to mention, it's not something that I seek out or crave.. but, when I purchase dill, i throw it into the most unexpected things and it always it's a delightful surprise.  Salad of grilled nectarines, feta, onions, croutons, dill, homemade dressing.. It was so good

49919086128_9c8b2bbf35_z.jpg

Not photographed.. i cooked these eggplants on the grill until they were just about done... i split them opened, i had made a tahini dressing.. tahini, garlic, soy, i forget what else, maybe lemon and something spicy.. I split the eggplants and then roasted with the tahini... Yeh, this was awesome.. 

4 people at the table "did not like eggplants"  and ended up eating off someone's plate and getting their own piece.. a success 

49919095363_e5b4995e36_z.jpg

Followed by smores on the grill. we are now on day three in a row of smores.. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

Last night, we had grilled pork chops with asparagus, roasted and smoked peppers with balsamic, honey and roasted orange (i made a new batch) sitting in homemade ricotta with cream, salt, sugar, black pepper and a little lemon added with grilled bread, a smoked and roasted beet salad which is like the best thing ever,

The pork chops I had brought up a month ago and froze.. So, not much time, i defrosted, did a quick marinade of lemon and spices, mostly paprika, garlic, cumin, cayenne. Grilled to medium.  The asparagus, wrapped with garlic and wine, salt and pepper.  

It took quarentine to get me grilling again.  There is literally no better form of cooking. 

49924195028_01d0216107_z.jpg

The beets were wrapped in foil and cooked for close to 2 hours with smoke.. they were so sweet and then added a vinegar to them.. Served with croutons fried in oil, a little feta, some dill... it's so good. purple and green arugula. 

49925020102_b7d81ed5cd_z.jpg

This was cheating.. like, how can this not be good.. 

49924715951_53ac111e7f_z.jpg

49924195623_b3f3cdba04_z.jpg

more family coming for an 80th birthday party today.. I bought 3 3 lb bone in ribeyes that I will reverse sear..  I have been fermenting this pizza dough for the last 72 hours so, i made make either pizza or stromboli with them and the ricotta.. .I have 5 2 lbs lobsters coming that I will grill with a tarragon butter.  I am thinking about quickly boiled, then cutting a hole in the top and feeding in tarragon butter as I grilled and smoke them whole before splitting.... Then I have brussel sprouts, artichokes all for the grill.. and probably grab some more beets for another salad...  Also making tiramisu and maybe a key lime pie.... 

I have been reading malt shop menus from the 1930's lately... One thing that has been surprising me is the amount of vanilla extract goes into drinks... Like a full on tablespoon per drink... But, yeh, i don't know, i want to do some sort of old fashion sundays with the kids.. Unfortunately, i have to leave soon and get back to work so, hopefully we can do it later, if I haven't bounced to some other thing by then.  But, I also just happened to buy a new ice cream machine for the shop so, maybe the two interests will intersect.   Also, just malt itself is just fantastic... i want to maybe see if I can do more with malt, like treat it like tahini, or something.. but would like to explore savory applications.. my favorite combination so far is malt completely covering blackberry ice cream. 

Dinner for 12 tonight. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

@BKEats 

"   6 lbs of skirt steak ""

Holly C*AP !

I can taste them.

I always forget : Inside vs Outside : which is better 

its the thinner one , but I haven't had a SS is so long 

it doesnt matter that I cant remember.

yours look p[erfect .

I used to do them as PinWheels 

on the grill 

drunk.jpeg.e2c195de2ee03505bb58a452309b2956.jpeg

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BKEats said:

Dinner for 8... I am isolated upstate with my kids and inlaws... We had my wife's aunts come over as well.  They have been isolated for 3 months... So, why not, we are all walking distance away.  I was told, i gave someone their first non spouse hug in three months..  Anyway, food was had... I marinated 6 lbs of skirt steak in the soy,brown sugar, garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, cilantro thing... while I love to experiment and I really never make the marinade the same way as I don't measure or do the same thing twice, the basic principles are there... Soy and sugar..  Anyway, i hate to be repetitive but, when you are hosting a gathering and have 100 dollars worth of steak on the line, it's good to go to old faithful... Plus, we catered my wife's aunts wedding and I think we made this steak for the hundred or so people that came.  

Not photographed.. i cooked these eggplants on the grill until they were just about done... i split them opened, i had made a tahini dressing.. tahini, garlic, soy, i forget what else, maybe lemon and something spicy.. I split the eggplants and then roasted with the tahini... Yeh, this was awesome.. 

4 people at the table "did not like eggplants"  and ended up eating off someone's plate and getting their own piece.. a success 

How'd you slice the skirt steaks for everyone but yourself??!! 🤣

You two catered a family wedding?!! Boy, that is taking some chances!!

There was a little Italian restaurant, name of which I'm forgetting, on 1st Avenue down around 2nd or 3rd St. - you must know it? They did the whole eggplant, grilled and split open and seasoned with olive oil etc. - it was really great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

we made marinated Kurabota pork chops. hoisin, fish sauce, gojuchang, sesame oil, chili crisp, fresh grated garlic and ginger. charcoal grilled

Topped with a crushed peanut, scallion and cilantro mix. Served with zucchini a scapece (not pictured)

wine was a 2004 Chianti in magnum

IMG_9656.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_6854.JPG

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

I had a couple of Yukon Golds which needed cooking...

1075219891_Potatoesrosti05-22IMG_1038.jpeg.5eaa5b2c8f1c1df9c1c79c549cd19bdb.jpeg

My first attempt at rösti. Being a dope, I tried to get a little fancy by cooking it in oil and ramp butter; the ramps burned a little bit on the right hand side. Still really delicious, and basically potatoes, salt and pepper. And the cooking oils.

Roasted 2 halves (used the back and wing tips and ends of drumsticks for the stock pot) of a Poulet Rouge, perhaps my favorite chicken; they're just so good. Also threw 2 additional wings onto the sheet pan, from another bird (Empire Kosher) I was cutting up to make the stock. The poulet rouge skin crisps us so beautifully; this bird was done in 30 minutes at high heat convection, in the regular oven.

2073631217_Chickenroastedpouletrouge05-22.jpeg.3508b0f3b67158a3eeaba869fc05333a.jpeg

Plated like a 5-year old...

1791673052_Chickenroastpotatoespeascarrots05-22.jpeg.aa9092d1d42f4cfc210b95d45efc7597.jpeg

Significant Eater gets the breast and wing attached; I get the leg thigh and of course an extra wing! Peas with yellow and orange carrots; peas are frozen baby peas, carrots are fresh. Cooked in a little stock and more ramp butter, cause why not?

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@gfweb 

do them as PinWheels :

trim and sesson ( lightly )

roll up ,    I then use bamboo skewers 1/4 the way down , each side

cut in 1/2    , either tie or club the skewers   

abd grill very hot until a little car on each side

rest 

gobble up.

the skirts are thicker that way , and you can get ( very ) rare in the middle

and a bit of char on the outside.

my favorite Boeuf

• Like 2

Gado gado.

Peanut-coconut sauce with plenty of tamarind, kaffir lime, lime zests, chili, garlic and a few more spices.

The egg, noodles and crispy tofu are served warm. 

Couldn't find any rice crackers, so toasted popped rice did the job. 

IMG_20200516_145638_1.jpg

IMG_20200516_145829_1.jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

How'd you slice the skirt steaks for everyone but yourself??!! 🤣

You two catered a family wedding?!! Boy, that is taking some chances!!

There was a little Italian restaurant, name of which I'm forgetting, on 1st Avenue down around 2nd or 3rd St. - you must know it? They did the whole eggplant, grilled and split open and seasoned with olive oil etc. - it was really great.

We were young and dumb and well, there was a period of time, if we liked you, we would cater your wedding for you...  We were catering weddings on the weekends, like one a month.  We did 4 freebies.  They were a lot of fun..  I am normally not a big fan of weddings so, it was the best of both worlds.. Do what you love, for someone you love, skip the wedding, get credit for going, plus they will love you forever... The last wedding we did was for our friends, 120 people, outside on a farm table... They were our best friends before they moved to Oakland and back when we had the luxury of having friends.   That was where we invented the precursor for  what is now known as our Mekelburg's Potato... So, for that alone it was worth it!   But yeh, weddings are so much fun to do, as long as the people are cool.  

I must say, just to let you know I am not a hard hearted man and that I do take into consideration advice, criticism and new things... I have tried to slice skirt steaks against the grain the last few times I have made them... I am willing to concede that in fact, flank steak does work better sliced across the grain but, i still disagree with skirt. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@BKEats Pretty skirt steak. I'm never satisfied with mine.

Could you please give some details?

Something like this... Just brown sugar, soy, lime... When I was a kid, my mother would make flank steak like this.. She would most likely add soy, brown sugar and garlic salt.. I dont think I have ever seen a lime in my house so, it was most likely a lemon too..   she would marinade, my father would grill.  My mother grew up on a farm and their spice was pepper.. So, i have no idea how this came to be the family steak marinade.. But I would say we had this every other week for my precollege life..  Here is a similar recipe with fish sauce added... for me the real flavors are the soy and the brown sugar.. the brown sugar adds the sweetness and the char.. the fish sauce as a depth, cilantro adds an herba note.. 

https://food52.com/recipes/34678-vietnamese-sugar-steak

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scamhi said:

we made marinated Kurabota pork chops. hoisin, fish sauce, gojuchang, sesame oil, chili crisp, fresh grated garlic and ginger. charcoal grilled

Topped with a crushed peanut, scallion and cilantro mix. Served with zucchini a scapece (not pictured)

wine was a 2004 Chianti in magnum

IMG_9656.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_6854.JPG

really pretty pork chop! 

• Like 2

Grilled mahi mahi with mango salsa, corn and summer squash saute, and curried roasted sweet potatoes.  

1199745197_mahimahi.thumb.jpg.849befb01f6913109c97c9ad38fa006b.jpg

Nephew won't eat fish unless it is fried, so I made him a buffalo chicken sub

1793235222_buffalochicken.thumb.jpg.d03d4f6f29d352d1eeea6386040bdbb3.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Did my first D'artagnan order a week or so ago.  Last night some of the tasso ham buddied up with a chicken breast to make gumbo.  Served over white rice.  I was happy.😁

• Like 9

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, scamhi said:

@BKEats thanks. I bought them from Regalis and had them Fedex'd down to where we are sheltering

I am sure the quality is awesome, my comment was on the preparation.. It is looks cooked and prepared so well! 

All these meals look absolutely gorgeous, particularly the meats on the grill. I am sporting a new top temporary denture (will get the bottom one next week), so everything I'm eating is soft, likely until I get the permanent ones in July.

One of the few bad things about growing up on a farm. No flouride in that well water. Plus hereditary bad teeth. Plus not taking care of them like I should; I don't have many regrets in life, but that's one.

• Sad 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

With the Corona-related restrictions slowly relaxing in Germany, we have my sister and her husband over this weekend. The little one is super excited. And to make it a “family style” weekend, we preponed pizza & movie night to Saturday ...

Mushroom & salami (little ones favourite)

5897B37C-6757-4F3B-BB17-E284DE742A83.thumb.jpeg.b77183728a2a6a4ec9b5a259c8218c6a.jpeg

”Inverse” Margherita (idea borrowed from Pepe in Grani: mozzarella di bufala, tomato coulis, basil puree)

0BEBDF84-1C42-498D-91F7-2372C9BC942E.thumb.jpeg.cdea724e8ececdc7e1856620da7dc4f5.jpeg

Hawaii (little ones second favourite)

6717B51B-190E-4771-A5D8-B5988467B7C1.thumb.jpeg.90d17813e8504d8aec2f13512551f7a7.jpeg

Seasonal pie - green asparagus & serrano ham

EBB47CA6-34C8-4B58-BFFA-E0E58D9E3AE7.thumb.jpeg.9e31d8b33456a011e5668906c6aba928.jpeg

Crumb shot

763BCC08-2F2C-46D3-ACDD-E58D8D2104AB.thumb.jpeg.58977e8634bcd384bf143e1afcd5698d.jpeg

Followed by icecream ...

91EBD5C2-85A9-496D-B728-FAA214C42C13.thumb.jpeg.f8cfd1dff8efd87b8cc1d39617c6b8f4.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1