• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Yesterday when I told Charlie that I was doing a pot roast today, he asked if I could do it Koreas style.  I said I would if he could find a recipe with ingredients we already had.  He found one.  The only substitution was to use some pear nectar instead of apple.  (Imagine being out of apples but having pear nectar!)  I had mine with potatoes and carrots, he had rice and kimchi He wants me to make it again next time I do a chuck roast in the slow cooker.

20200521_162848.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

I've made udon noodles a few times this week now, they are my new favorite.  The noodle uses 50% fresh milled sonora wheat, bolted to reduce brand and graininess.  Delicious stuff.  Here's a curry udon soup :) BTW, stirring the roux for 20 minutes, what a PITA!

curry udon.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

We wanted hot dogs and in the spirit of use what you have and we didn’t have hot dog buns, they ended up on hamburger buns.  Split and fried:

IMG_2290.thumb.jpg.f145fe16361703e45f866590fb2ad33c.jpg

Melted some American cheese over the top (not the plastic wrapped stuff – deli cheese, which is a Different Thing):

IMG_2291.thumb.jpg.19a7483b998f80ab006897054080e2e8.jpg

And some canned bean-less chili piled on:

IMG_2292.jpg.6ea0b80c141d5629328028307ad90404.jpg

Which is just canned chili, no justification😉.  It is almost as trashy as it gets (almost because they sell, and people actually buy, canned BBQ pork).  Served with sweet potato fries (Alexia frozen) and fixed up canned baked beans.  Good God, there’s congealed salad, too😮.  Looking at it now, I am a bit abashed:

IMG_2293.jpg.19291b69c90f45ba235ba2c209db564f.jpg

But I wasn’t at all abashed when I gobbled it up😁.  Also pickly stuff:

IMG_2289.jpg.e761e749bf8889839b791add05b75855.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

Soup of the evening, beautiful soup...

MinestraDiFarro04022020.png

Old picture, same batch.  And now my freezer is a little lighter.  Bugialli's minestra di farro.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Gnudi di spianci / Malfatti in brown butter with crisp fried sage, thyme, lemon zest. Parmesan and pumpkin seeds. Pan seared mushrooms in butter, garlic and thyme. Toasted sourdough, 30% rye, IIRC (store bought).

The gnudi are made with ricotta, semolina, parm, eggs, nutmeg, pepper, flour. Gnudi is short for ravioli gnudi, i.e. nude ravioli.

IMG_20200515_152515.jpg

IMG_20200515_152740.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

13 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Dinner sandwich.

9EB4AE3F-EAE8-4DE4-876E-8D4159B39C0D.thumb.jpeg.93f677ebe4d5c987a330c6baf291fce8.jpeg

is that mayonnaise or butter on that bottom slice? I don't know if I want to know what's on the top slice of bread, and I'm hoping there's some mustard or at least vinaigrette somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

21 hours ago, shain said:

Sesame noodles for us as well.

I didn't make noodles from scratch this time, but rather added the baked baking soda to the boiling water of plain old spaghetti. From my experience, both methods are quite effective, but the fresh noodles are bouncier. Also, if the soda is in the water, it can't be added to the dish (it's an italian technique, but I often utilize it to asian noodles), Sesame noodles obviously require no extra thickening, so no problem here.

Can you explain this?  I've never, in all the years and all the cookbooks, seen anything about soda and Italian in the same sentence.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

Can you explain this?  I've never, in all the years and all the cookbooks, seen anything about soda and Italian in the same sentence.

I read it that this refers to adding the starchy water to the dish, not the soda part ...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, weinoo said:

is that mayonnaise or butter on that bottom slice? I don't know if I want to know what's on the top slice of bread, and I'm hoping there's some mustard or at least vinaigrette somewhere.

😄 It's mayo, and Calabrian chilis up top. There's vinegar and olive oil on the lettuce. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

8 minutes ago, weinoo said:

7 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I read it that this refers to adding the starchy water to the dish, not the soda part ...

Yes, what Duvel here said. AFAIK, noodles cooking water are not used as often in Asian cooking.

Soba noodles soba-yu being drank being a somewhat extreme exception.

~ Shai N.

48 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Yep - I was confused or read it differently.

38 minutes ago, shain said:

Yes, what Duvel here said. AFAIK, noodles cooking water are not used as often in Asian cooking.

Soba noodles soba-yu being drank being a somewhat extreme exception.

Yes, we go to a place called Sobaya (or, we used to go to a place...).  Always bring the soba dishwater, which we never really have liked.

43 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

😄 It's mayo, and Calabrian chilis up top. There's vinegar and olive oil on the lettuce. 

That sounds quite lovely and I have a jar of those chilis in the fridge! Well, sounds lovely...except for the mayonnaise on that sandwich.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My delivery a few days ago included some lovely local asparagus...

1447154629_Asparagus05-20.jpeg.8d4f9d7f318911aa9cde8c3a06e79db6.jpeg

I went quite classic with it, asparagus vinaigrette. Then I went classic with this...

111202489_Duckcracklings05-20.jpeg.538ec67a82025c852cb56ee857bbfea9.jpeg

Duck cracklings. I used the skin for the cracklings because I also made a duck and sausage ragu...

1700003108_Casarecceduckraguy05-20IMG_0973.jpeg.b9820a5981b7ee0909d2e67a868ffa77.jpeg

Casarecce with said duck and sausage ragu.

Gotta get healthy after all that, no?

1628841058_Scallopsdonaberice05-21.jpeg.6289f2e85495c94b23a40a7b10b594d0.jpeg

Scallops were delivered (from Fresh Direct, actually, and pretty darn good). I sautéed them in ramp butter. Made the rice in the donabe, with ginger, mushrooms, scallions and dashi/mushroom stock blend. Glazed Tokyo turnips and radish along with the turnip greens alongside.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 5
  • Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

1447154629_Asparagus05-20.jpeg.8d4f9d7f318911aa9cde8c3a06e79db6.jpeg

1700003108_Casarecceduckraguy05-20IMG_0973.jpeg.b9820a5981b7ee0909d2e67a868ffa77.jpeg

1628841058_Scallopsdonaberice05-21.jpeg.6289f2e85495c94b23a40a7b10b594d0.jpeg

May I have a serving of each, please?

Speaking of which, I really like your scallop serving.    Two large scallops are a good plate since good scallops are rich.    I cringe when I see a half dozen served as a portion.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

7 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Speaking of which, I really like your scallop serving.    Two large scallops are a good plate since good scallops are rich.    I cringe when I see a half dozen served as a portion.

There were 5 scallops in my order - weighed 1/2 lb, so pretty good size. We each get two (ok, don't tell Significant Eater, but I eat the 5th one alone, in the kitchen - just to make sure it's properly cooked!).

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Deconstructed-ish ban-mi - bbq'd and sliced thighs (bathed in fish sc, soy, lemon grass paste, honey, garlic and some other stuff) on a potato roll topped w pickled carrot, daikon and cuke with a jalapeno-cilantro mayo, side of beaten up zuch.  The bans were really good.  I had 1 then another (to make sure I was full) 

chkbanmi.thumb.jpg.aa354f1620395bfb620ddd28c01514e0.jpg

• Like 11

That wasn't chicken

Vegetable pajeon with grilled chicken skewers basted with a gochujang glaze.  The pajeon had carrots, green daikon, scallions, and turnip.  I used my waffle maker to cook the pancakes.  They came out nice and crispy.  My niece thought this meal was too spicy, but everyone else really liked it.

pejeon.thumb.jpg.ab5c6effef8b4dadebbd234142119eab.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1