• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Crawfish boudin, garden asparagus, poached egg and taters

thumbnail_IMG_7802.jpg.434e3e297a1065348d90d7e7a3091321.jpg

First radishes and lettuce from the garden

thumbnail_IMG_7804.jpg.ea871944e7fe91be053a7158e3c8e7ab.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7806.jpg.307b6068fafff935936cdeca3da39154.jpg

Made some more oxtail ragu--oxtails were plentiful in the grocery store.  Sauteed radish greens on the side.

thumbnail_IMG_7805.jpg.3fdce5019e3f542166a62067920dce5a.jpg

Sorry for the blur.

• Like 19

5 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Some people DON'T?

I certainly DO!  I most often clean as I go so there is not a sink full of pots and pans.  If I can get my wife to clear the table I’m ok 

She’s still working, I’m not.  I’ll wash pots no problem.  I’m good at it.  It’s all part of the process 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

I certainly DO!  I most often clean as I go so there is not a sink full of pots and pans.  If I can get my wife to clear the table I’m ok 

She’s still working, I’m not.  I’ll wash pots no problem.  I’m good at it.  It’s all part of the process 

I learned from two maiden aunts.   One could cook for 10 and have one spoon dirty at the beginning of the meal; the other could make a p and b sandwich and have every pan and utensil in the kitchen dirty.    I thought the first was the better role model.

Daily, I cook and clean up.    At dinner parties, I plate, husband serves and buses between courses while I tend the next course.   After dinner he clears the dining room, checks the living room and crashes.    I process "good stuff", load the dishwasher and leave glasses excess glasses til morning when I'm clearer.   Works well.

• Like 5

eGullet member #80.

37 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Gnocchi in tomato gravy (not pictured, deploy imagination) - real star of the show was this fennel/apple/celery heart slaw...my 4 year old had 3 servings.  Big hit! 4D41ABFD-B3BC-4D90-A767-90F9BF88E930.thumb.jpeg.4a4730fa4ff463be94044d1662de4263.jpeg

That's a smashing looking salad, but gnocchi played second fiddle!    wow.    Salad must have been even greater than it looked.

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

On 5/18/2020 at 10:26 AM, shain said:

I love this salad, though I make it with silan rather then dates.

It was so delicious!  I am going to make it all of the time.  I had to google silan.  That sounds really interesting!

Tonight, Thai flavored salmon cakes with lime dipping sauce, rice, and cucumber salad.

746214725_salmoncake.thumb.jpg.44b41465e4cb9d9760a7f28353f23710.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

On 5/18/2020 at 5:20 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

I do wholeheartedly agree. But in the spirit of fairness, this person who has never been to New Orleans didn't want to claim any expertise just in case 🙂.

Oh of course!  I was just giving you my take and wanted to inform you.. I read what you said and wanted to let you know,   Confirming your suspicion 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

I'm working. I cook and clean. And I'm happy to have the kitchen to myself.

It's just better that way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very tired when it came to dinner.

Dinner05202020.png

CSO chicken, coleslaw, sweet potato.  No complaints.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

That's a smashing looking salad, but gnocchi played second fiddle!    wow.    Salad must have been even greater than it looked.

You will have to excuse my plating skills, but with 3 kids under 8 y/o - my allowance to invest time in making things look good is, shall we say - limited!  The key to this salad is simplicity and great ingredients.  Shaved fennel (including fronds), crisp tart apple, and celery heart - equally important, the dressing; lemon/lime zest and juice, S&P, and very good EVOO.  I always find this salad somehow tastes of oranges  - which I often add too! (something to do with fennel and citrus/olive oil...)

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Very tired when it came to dinner.

Perhaps because you started cooking after midnight!? 😛

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Shaved fennel (including fronds), crisp tart apple, and celery heart - equally important, the dressing; lemon/lime zest and juice, S&P, and very good EVOO.  I always find this salad somehow tastes of oranges  - which I often add too! (something to do with fennel and citrus/olive oil...)

I often make a simpler summertime salad of just fennel and fresh orange segments. Once I've finished "supreme-ing" the oranges I squeeze the juice from the remnants over the fennel, and add a splash of olive oil (and a bit of lemon, if the oranges aren't tart enough). Very nice on a hot day,* and minimal prep.

*Which in the local context, means anything past the mid-20s C.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

You know, it's very hard to keep up with this daily posting schedule!  While I am cooking all the time, i am sometimes forgetting to take photos, or i take video, or whatever.. but, yeh, i am cooking...

Salad of arugula and maybe purple arugula. There was some cured meat, sliced onion, some of those roasted and smoked peppers... Did I post about those? 

49912123163_3c3d0b7879_z.jpg

They were so good, it's the type of thing that you might as well make a ton because once you make one, it's just pretty much the same work to make 10..  We have been eating them in almost every salad as well as other things.. .

49899867457_96445cf2eb_z.jpg

For example:

Here are pork meatballs, or chorizo balls, with scallops... Since my wife likes the taste of sausage or sausages, as it's just seasoned ground meat, but, she does not like the shape, casing, of sausage, i usually take them out of their casings and either leave ground or make balls.. Here I made balls.. And like a wine, paprika, tomato, roasted pepper, garlic sort of sauce.. 

there was also dill and spinach, parsley and whatever else was laying around.. it was delicious

49912122403_87b5f31834_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Whoops, didn't mean to post... Also in that meal were stuffed artichokes... My mother in law, that;s where I am right now, is the queen of gadgets.. she is the one that bought me an instapot for the holidays and I promptly gave it back... I love cooking,  i need a fire and some cast iron and that's really enough for me.. But, she said, make the artichokes in the insta-pot... Her house, her  rules, why she wants to mess around, whatever, i gave it a shot.. .So, I put these beautiful artichokes that I made the bread crumbs for, that I mixed with cheese and spices and seasoning and cut the artichokes and soaked in lemon and prepared.. I was going to put them in a pot and steam but, no, the instapot is quicker.. WHich, it really is not... An artichoke steamed is like 30 minutes.. you put shallow water into a pot and turn on the fire, cover and come back in 30 minutes...  The instapot takes 12 minutes.. Well, not really, it has to pressurize, then it has to cook for the 12 minutes, then it has to depressurize.. So, it actuality,  we are talking 22 minutes, 25 minutes... not to mention the clean up... Whatever, needless to say, the f'ING thing murderized my artichokes.. it was mush, it was gross,

49909393757_f687d4bbc8_z.jpg

"look what they've done to my boy"  

I can barely look. 

More like, Insta not or  insta pass.   I get it, it's a thing... People like things, people need things... I don't need this... It very much serves a function if you can't cook, or if you want to not think about it, or if you are looking for I don't know, you for some reason need to make beans in under an hour... I don't know..   But, that doesn't mean innocent artichokes need to suffer.. 

49916116891_85d3d7f98a_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 5

5 minutes ago, BKEats said:

Whoops, didn't mean to post... Also in that meal were stuffed artichokes... My mother in law, that;s where I am right now, is the queen of gadgets.. she is the one that bought me an instapot for the holidays and I promptly gave it back... I love cooking,  i need a fire and some cast iron and that's really enough for me.. But, she said, make the artichokes in the insta-pot... Her house, her  rules, why she wants to mess around, whatever, i gave it a shot.. .So, I put these beautiful artichokes that I made the bread crumbs for, that I mixed with cheese and spices and seasoning and cut the artichokes and soaked in lemon and prepared.. I was going to put them in a pot and steam but, no, the instapot is quicker.. WHich, it really is not... An artichoke steamed is like 30 minutes.. you put shallow water into a pot and turn on the fire, cover and come back in 30 minutes...  The instapot takes 12 minutes.. Well, not really, it has to pressurize, then it has to cook for the 12 minutes, then it has to depressurize.. So, it actuality,  we are talking 22 minutes, 25 minutes... not to mention the clean up... Whatever, needless to say, the f'ING thing murderized my artichokes.. it was mush, it was gross,

"look what they've done to my boy"  

I can barely look. 

49916116891_85d3d7f98a_z.jpg

a

Oooh that is painful. I am on your train regarding "gadgets".  Stepmother who currently is in-house has  one for everything. She insisted on using one for raw carrot salad. Bits so thin a toothless extreme senior could eat it. I rarely "cook" with her. 

16 hours ago, gfweb said:

I'm working. I cook and clean. And I'm happy to have the kitchen to myself.

It's just better that way.

I do the same.  DH clears the dishes after breakfast because he works from home for now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BKEats said:

More like, Insta not or  insta pass.   I get it, it's a thing... People like things, people need things... I don't need this... It very much serves a function if you can't cook, or if you want to not think about it, or if you are looking for I don't know, you for some reason need to make beans in under an hour... I don't know..   But, that doesn't mean innocent artichokes need to suffer.. 

I have no idea how ours works but 'm afraid it will sneak up on us in the middle of the night and get medieval on our asses!   

• Haha 1

That wasn't chicken