• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@liuzhou – as always, I envy you the lovely, plump shrimp you are able to get!

@mgaretz– every time I see you make a tri-tip, I vow to find one! 

@CantCookStillTry – I’m not conflicted at ALL about how to respond to your roast meal.  That was gorgeous.  And that sauce looks incredible.  And you don’t have to convince this American about beans on toast.  It is a favorite with me!

Made Lasagna Soup for dinner:

IMG_2246.jpg.74acafe640594ad1e496c2a8f333a1a4.jpg

With a ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan quenelle and garlic bread:

IMG_2247.jpg.ba725ddbea2a64b68ec92dccf9ae0808.jpg

I was pleased with my first ever attempt at quenelles.  Served with a lettuce and tomato salad:

IMG_2245.thumb.jpg.b3552e90f0983c8505763f7ee7c3a18b.jpg

The soup was a new recipe and we liked it a lot.  It came together really fast and then I simmered for about an hour before adding the pasta and serving.  We felt like broken up lasagna noodles was specified only to justify the name and that some other shape would be easier to eat. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

12 hours ago, jimb0 said:

i can literally taste those potatoes

They were super tasty. I use a modified version of the ChefSteps recipe.... I do a Pectinex SP-L enzyme pre-soak (as per Dave Arnold from Cooking Issues) and boil the potatoes in the brine on the stovetop instead of cooking them SV. But the result is so crispy and flavorful that I've ruined myself on most fries.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dinner05172020.png

Fried chicken, coleslaw, Rancho Gordo beans.  Chicken was overdone.  That did not stop it being eaten.

IceCream05172020.png

Ice cream.  Because I can.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Clean the Fridge Sunday Burritos. 

Assembled lazily at lunch time and popped in the sandwich press for 5 mins for tea. 

Leftover Beef, Black Beans, Cabbage, Radish, Cheese, red onion. 

20200517_174238.thumb.jpg.b72c8b6f0b16261d26cd16c21b471eb8.jpg

Nb: There was also Green Bell Pepper and Sweet Corn... ssssh.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, chefmd said:

Shrimp and grits with bacon and garlic chives.  I had to mix and match two different sizes of shrimp.  Garlic chives may be my new favorite vegetable.

12 hours ago, KennethT said:

I love garlic chives... try a stir fry (or even better google "fry roast") with big slices of ginger and garlic chives...

I too love garlic chives.  While we might try to convince ourselves they count towards one of our daily required vegetable servings, they are merely a (delicious) herb. Though they are green and healthy, so, screw it, its a veg (assuming you eat loads of it!).

I have a few nice patches in the gardens which keep us stocked throughout the year.  Transplanted another clump from my MIL's garden (which I created in the first place!) the other day, along with some (awesome) Egyptian onions.

• Like 2

I'd been craving a cheeseburger. So last night I picked one up from a local joint that does excellent ones. With fries and a strawberry shake, which I drank before I got home. (Life is short; eat dessert first.)

Hit the spot. No pix, as I was starving and devoured it.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Kim Shook  I love lasagna soup.  Need to make that soon.  I like to use campanelle pasta--a little easier to eat but yet still curly edges like lasagna noodles :)

Lemon roasted chicken quarters done in the CSO with potatoes roasted under the chicken.  Asparagus gratin to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_7799.jpg.cdd9c037b9a4e27e72f5d396effe5d71.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7801.jpg.97a74dcbaf16aefe38b4853919ebb6e2.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Panang curry with boneless chicken thigh using my home grown kaffir lime leaves. The leaves are so aromatic and tender! Not the leathery things I get at the Korean or Indian store...

Sorry about the photo - we dove into eating it and almost finished before I thought of taking a pic.

20200517_190859.thumb.jpg.2cdec4429651e67f90c5114d402a7c3a.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

23 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Panang curry with boneless chicken thigh using my home grown kaffir lime leaves. The leaves are so aromatic and tender! Not the leathery things I get at the Korean or Indian store...

Sorry about the photo - we dove into eating it and almost finished before I thought of taking a pic.

20200517_190859.thumb.jpg.2cdec4429651e67f90c5114d402a7c3a.jpg

Looks good.

Let's hear more about your method/recipe!

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 4:55 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

A BBQ dinner tonight at a place called Pie Alley in Yeppoon. Supposed to be New Orleans style food in a Whiskey & Blues Bar. Set in a literal Alley. 

There was a brilliant live singer but it wasn't Blues. There was not that great a Whiskey selection and I have never been to New Orleans but I didn't see any Gumbo or Jambalaya on the menu ... so not sure if very authentic. BUT the food we did have was Very Very Very good. 

Pretty sure my hub would have prefered to take more loaded "fries" home over me 😂

Obligatory kids nugs & chips 

20200102_181819.thumb.jpg.b5cf6295f308f0b32914d1def97aaacb.jpg

Pulled pork loaded fries with salsa, Aioli and Jalepeno Jelly. 

20200102_182228.thumb.jpg.31c639055a4e1fd37664ada9e606e31e.jpg

Bbq platter of Pork ribs, Popcorn Prawns, Onion rings & SF chicken with slaw and chips. 

20200102_195333.thumb.jpg.4a85ad83fb5cfc4aef882a5f61e41e76.jpg

While the food certainly looks good, this place would not be considered New Orleans, Cajun, or Creole style food.. It looks just very pan, pan..  It's would be closer to like an American Family Style Chain Restaurant..  Just like borrowed things from Mexico, the South, Argentina, Italian American, just like hodge podge global buzzy things.. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BKEats said:

Just like borrowed things from Mexico, the South, Argentina, Italian American, just like hodge podge global buzzy things.. 

I do wholeheartedly agree. But in the spirit of fairness, this person who has never been to New Orleans didn't want to claim any expertise just in case 🙂.

• Like 1

Squid with fermented black beans, garlic, ginger, chilli, oyster sauce and snow peas - a local traditional pairing. Served with orzo - a not at all local or traditional pairing. But it worked.

20200518_193338.thumb.jpg.d4e357afdaae5c1eb8e753d9044e794b.jpg

20200518_193354.thumb.jpg.dd71018434e61516e871c0ecc95e1da7.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto