• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, CantCookStillTry said:

@Kim Shook Thank you! Laugh always! Mr CCST is still on a low carb kick so I called it Slaw-ish. Literally just cabbage, radish, spring onion, english mustard, mayo, I think some onion salt and white wine vinegar. I'm one of those 'one off' cooks... you might tell me its amazing but I'll be damned if I remember what I put in it! 😂

There's nothing wrong with that, you just have to carry it off with a certain degree of assurance.

You don't tell people "I just threw together any old thing," you gaze at them airily and tell them "I think of it as 'jazz cookery'...I'm very improvisational." :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@Kim Shook  I've been meaning to answer your goulash question for days now and then the thought flies right out of my head.  

I kind of just throw things together.  Onions and garlic cooked down until soft.  I've taken to buying jars of roasted red peppers so I chunk some of those up.  Tomato sauce from my canned tomatoes whizzed in the food processor.  Some kind of beef bouillon--either the cubes or those little tubs.  A few splashes of worcestershire sauce (don't leave that out, it's a must).  Salt/pepper/hungarian paprika .  Cooked macaroni.  It really hits the spot when I'm craving it.  If I have any leftover veggies such as green beans or corn, I throw that in too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I'm one of those 'one off' cooks... you might tell me its amazing but I'll be damned if I remember what I put in it! 😂

My first husband would get just a tad frustrated so he kept a pile of 3 x 5 index cards on the table and would gently walk me over there to record my "one off" while he did the dishes :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Pan baked naan (first attempt), Butter chicken, string beans, coriander and mango chutneys on side.  I did cop out on the curry with a jarred 'Sharwood Butter' sc.  I confess I like some of these simmer and serves - Tikka Masala, Jalfrezi, etc that can create meals in 20min and pack pretty decent flavors.  The naan was stellar fun to make and watch. 

panaan.thumb.jpg.832b30a3df3f699831333c69c3c10896.jpg

butterchk.thumb.jpg.d1816b9647afe26eafe7f4e5a1ddd38b.jpg

nandiner.thumb.jpg.5cee74b2aa1ce4f240877985437aea4f.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

That wasn't chicken

Mish mash...

1169447069_Saladlunch05-123.jpeg.b920e7aeb2d3b757c0196709dee698e2.jpeg

A really lovely little gems salad, with my mustardy vinaigrette.

1672234137_Artichokesteamed05-13.jpeg.e5ee4e670acfe1f6f68229fc811c4856.jpeg

The first way I ever encountered an artichoke, after I'd moved from NYC to Santa Barbara last century. My dipping sauce included mustard, horseradish. creme fraiche, lemon and it was very good.

166728779_Soupyriceunderway05-13.jpeg.ba705f16e8baa891c45755de075f25f5.jpeg

876754869_Soupyricedone05-13.jpeg.692d4f92cc17b82a4033dd32507394ff.jpeg

This was gonna be soupy rice, underway with like a 5:1 ratio of stock to rice. It needed even more stock, as this Bomba rice absorbs so much liquid.  So, 4-mushroom almost soupy rice, with a bit of chorizo in the sofregit.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

dinner last night. Kalbi marinated boneless short ribs- grilled over charcoal. with a thai cucumber and tomato salad (serrano, fish sauce, lime zest and juice, garlic, ginger, sugar, oil, dried shrimp, crushed peanut dressing) and some kimchi from a jar.

IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_7485.JPG

IMG_3924.JPG

IMG_4053.JPG

Edited by scamhi
edited to add dried shrimp to the salad ingredients (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 3

8 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

@Kim Shook Thank you! Laugh always! Mr CCST is still on a low carb kick so I called it Slaw-ish. Literally just cabbage, radish, spring onion, english mustard, mayo, I think some onion salt and white wine vinegar. I'm one of those 'one off' cooks... you might tell me its amazing but I'll be damned if I remember what I put in it! 😂

That used to happen with me. So the kids set up a blog and told me to post every menu and the recipes right away so that would stop happening.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Norm - I solved this problem - I've gone over to the Dark Side - tablet in the kitchen....

put all my cooking stuff on a network drive hooked to the router.

edits/adds etc are now one-and-everywhere available.....

also my shopping list program - that's really cool surfing through the pantry & fridge & etc putting stuff on the list without running back&forth to the desk....

IMG_0800.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Here is a link to the recipe.  It's the second one in the article: Iraqi spiced chicken

Last night, cornflake crumb crusted haddock sandwiches.

fishwich.thumb.jpg.61c2d3ba22a93ae99e45a94ceb081623.jpg

Ohhh.... my mm always crusted our flounder with cornflake crumbs ….then fried them in bacon fat and Crisco.   Yum...…..topped with Worster sauce NOT tartar.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 hours ago, scamhi said:

dinner last night. Kalbi marinated boneless short ribs- grilled over charcoal. with a thai cucumber and tomato salad (serrano, fish sauce, lime zest and juice, garlic, ginger, sugar, oil, dried shrimp, crushed peanut dressing) and some kimchi from a jar.

IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_7485.JPG

You can't do this and not show us the wine you drank 😊!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My dinner tonight will be (it’s still somewhat early here and I’m still in cocktail hour mode). @mgaretz’s recipe for Cabbage Soup.    A favorite of mine now.  It a cool and rainy day here and there has to be soup on the menu.

• Like 4

Dinner plans have changed! We had a huge electrical storm, that produced lots of wind and rain, which knocked out/killed several of our devices, but fortunately did not affect our power. The living room TV and TiVo box are just two of those that will need to be replaced. Hubby is working to restore our internet, while I use my iPhone hotspot to connect my iPad to the outside world. We may just make a couple of baked potatoes and call it dinner.

• Sad 7

37 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Dinner plans have changed! We had a huge electrical storm, that produced lots of wind and rain, which knocked out/killed several of our devices, but fortunately did not affect our power. The living room TV and TiVo box are just two of those that will need to be replaced. Hubby is working to restore our internet, while I use my iPhone hotspot to connect my iPad to the outside world. We may just make a couple of baked potatoes and call it dinner.

Internet is back up and potatoes are in the oven. All is good!

• Like 6

4 lb black sea bass with a dry rub.. brown sugar, cayenne,  paprika, garlic.. almost blacked... cooked with smoke on like a 500 degree oven for  30 minutes. or so. 

:

It's a beast

49899035893_a96874f441_c.jpg

artichokes grilled

49899034343_ef2a02625f_c.jpg

Raisins, fennel, sugar, oranges, a little vodka, caramelized in a pan for a bit... 

49899858207_bd4d8da340_c.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Roasted these huge peppers.. Smoked a bit.. Also smoked and roasted onions, almonds garlic and oranges... 

49899867457_96445cf2eb_c.jpg

Garlic roasted, garlic raw, roasted peppers, balsamic, roasted oranges and honey... Lots of salt.. 

49899042803_0e660d7fd6_c.jpg

49899552506_89b2d4ae41_c.jpg

• Like 12

my mother in law buys frozen pizza dough and gets so excited when I come and make them pizza... So, i make pizza.. and it's pretty good.. 

I made 6 pizzas in total.. for the 8 of us.. they were small ones.. 

Here is creme fraiche, thin garlic, slice dried sausage of smoke kind, onion.. 

49899579696_3ed9e24f6c_c.jpg

49899061918_2786a6e54b_c.jpg

this one had hot honey and that dried sausage

49899579226_92c06a8f32_c.jpg

there was smoked mozzarella ones, there were a few different kinds.. jax had sliced garlic, tomato and smoked mozz and regular mozz 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 14