• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

12 hours ago, weinoo said:

Tell me a little more about the marinated pork collar, please. It looks like it's sliced and then grilled?

Yes, it is a thick slice of pork neck/collar, very popular in Germany (Nackensteak)

A52B7CF2-84DC-49F7-B6E6-D007CE74AD11.jpeg.027b834b26274c274a2773bed7e878be.jpeg

Marinated with salt, pepper, garlic, bit of yoghurt, and whatever herbs you have. Usually grilled on a BBQ, but this specific one was pan-fired, as it was raining ...

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Yes, it is a thick slice of pork neck/collar, very popular in Germany (Nackensteak)

Marinated with salt, pepper, garlic, bit of yoghurt, and whatever herbs you have. Usually grilled on a BBQ, but this specific one was pan-fired, as it was raining ...

I have these beautiful porcelet collars from D'artagnan; I plan on doing this next time!

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

46 minutes ago, Duvel said:

At least 10 different muscles in there!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Holy cow! And I have been complaining about pork going up to about  $3.50 a pound here in Costa Rica. And we have excellent pork with no shortages.

D'artagnan ain't cheap to consumers.

Sales are occasionally good prices, though. And Costco web site has occasional bargains on their duck

I'd love to see their trade prices.

16 minutes ago, gfweb said:

That's what makes it great!

13 minutes ago, gfweb said:

D'artagnan ain't cheap to consumers.

No, but it's also not Smithfield pork. Or Perdue/Tyson chicken.

So I don't mind paying the prices for better quality and to theoretically support some of the farmers who are trying to be responsible stewards.

• Like 7

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

We are so lucky here. Costa Rica has excellent pork and in over 20 years I have never gotten an unsatisfactory piece. Sometimes the cuts are a little strange, but that is a cultural thing. My first thought when I saw the price on your pork was, 'Man, you're paying a lot for that lil' string bag'!

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

That's what makes it great!

So I don't mind paying the prices for better quality and to theoretically support some of the farmers who are trying to be responsible stewards.

Me too, I just wont pat $30 for a strip steak.

Oddly, Dartagnan stuff sold through Giant supermarkets is much more reasonable.

• Like 1

A couple of recent dinners included...

437744569_ShepherdsPieChicken05-09.jpeg.2e34198ea84d68930165fc1437aba548.jpeg

Shepherd's pie, but with a chicken filling. Might've sprinkled the potatoes with a few bread crumbs and more parmesan; next time for more browning.

335452801_BasmatiRicePilafMerguez05-11.jpeg.50d995dc2902e77a4bc79b2c58515f86.jpeg 

Merguez sausage over smothered cabbage, horseradish mustard dip.  Saffron basmati rice pilaf.

Lazy man dinner last night...

618483719_Chickenwingslazyman05-12.jpeg.ddc6b9ccbf5ab984da4504dfdfbc748b.jpeg

Sheet pan wings and potatoes, rubbed with duck fat and dried herbs. Sautéed asparagus on the side.  When I make a lazy dinner, I like to throw in something a little extra, so...

1033151851_Clafoutisapple05-12.jpeg.3fd0c5df003e364e4fd42c698e23bd76.jpeg

Flaugnarde with apples and raisins. Apple brandy to sip.

• Like 12

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

Yup ... pork neck/collar is a thing of beauty. And very forgiving - usually turns out juicy, regardless of ones BBQ or frying skills. And if you have the time and do the full SV treatment in advance plus a hard sear you get something very special ...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, weinoo said:

1033151851_Clafoutisapple05-12.jpeg.3fd0c5df003e364e4fd42c698e23bd76.jpeg

Flaugnarde with apples and raisins. Apple brandy to sip.

Love the Lairds aging - 7.5 yrs old.  They couldn't go a another 6 mos to 8?  😁

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

Roast pork buns (first attempt).   Needed to roll them out a bit thinner and more stuffing but flavors were there.  They were pretty tasty. I ate 4 of them and def got fatter. Brok Rabe in the back - blanched, sauteed w garlic in ses oil, bit of soy, rice vngr, sugar. 

bun1.thumb.jpg.5b228eb49623a1287a36c28a82094835.jpg

bun2.thumb.jpg.c056db8c775fba194b4ab6da0ed00aae.jpg

bum4.thumb.jpg.747c4500b3420e2f6ce52d46cfd46561.jpg

bun3.thumb.jpg.d8f17e66505f0eab4fe1dbd4710cd123.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

That wasn't chicken

13 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Love the Lairds aging - 7.5 yrs old.  They couldn't go a another 6 mos to 8?  😁

They were probably running low on their bonded applejack 🤣 .

Tasty Travails - My Blog

31 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

flavors were there

I always put mine on lightly greased cupcake liners. It keeps them from sticking to the pan, catches leaks, and they don't get to brown. These look great for a first attempt.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I always put mine on lightly greased cupcake liners. It keeps them from sticking to the pan, catches leaks, and they don't get to brown. These look great for a first attempt.

Good to know, thank you!  We used silicone mats over baking sheets. They didn't stick, leak or burn.  (I see the bottom of that one looks brown but it didn't yield any off flavors).   I think the only problem was the thickness of the wrapper if you want to call that a problem : )~ 

That wasn't chicken

1 hour ago, Eatmywords said:

the only problem was the thickness of the wrapper

There is a trick to that. when you roll out the bun, leave a hump in the middle and make the edges very thin. In fact, you can make them thinner as you pull the dough out to wrap around the filling. With the thiner edges it is a lot easier to make the neat little pleats, too. The best recipe that I ever found on the internet for making them was by David Soo. I can't find the link right now but he should be easy to find because I think it is the only thing that he ever posted on the internet. if you want to PM me and give me your email address, I would be more than happy to send you a copy.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Spelling (log)

Well it doesn't matter about the egg.

It only really matters when you have chips!

(...hmmm chips dunked in runny egg yolk...)

• Like 1

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)