• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Tonight's dinner: potatoes au gratin variant (read: what I had in the fridge- potatoes with leftover mushroom gravy and brie mornay sauce mixed together and topped with panko) with chicken sausage:

20200511_194124.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks Salt team. I was figuring a handful of say table salt would be different to a handful of sea salt flakes I have but maybe not. 

More a question of quantity than actually what salt. Wasn't very clear. And hey... our hands could be very different in size 😂 will be trial and error. 

Frankly i'm just shit at volumes / eyeballing - at least with weights and types I can blame the recipe. 

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Char Siu pork lettuce wraps - topped w jalapeno, scallion, cukes (quick pickle - rice/white vngrs, h2o, sugar, salt).  Remaining pork w go towards roast pork buns tonight....stay tuned!

charsiu1.thumb.jpg.d802c5f6efeff42240b795e5674ec7a3.jpg

(damn you big drop that couldn't remain perfect like your friends!)

charsiu2.thumb.jpg.3c42c9b77401a76984673e15edc11f67.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

That wasn't chicken

Here we go again. This time we are going Japanese, Iranian, and Italian.

Okonomiyaki, Osaka style

C77AC97E-1192-4EFC-81E1-A7550F3C0CEA.thumb.JPG.981e19b670afc56a1d53c92528a9d9ec.JPG

Dates and cinnamon omelete. Breakfast treat on Sunday from daddy for the new mom to be.

IMG_0248.thumb.jpeg.e85ec28d7f0102f7e685edf2b95ebf47.jpeg

Rigatoni all'amatriciana

IMG_1903.thumb.jpg.6ccbee420f7e513be68fb90ecfdec4f9.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Eatmywords 

nice

very Cheffie .

you will get that Last Drop perfect at some point.

Thanks, free hand w a spoon.......imagine the potential when I'm not too lazy to find that squeeze bottle.

• Haha 1

That wasn't chicken

39 minutes ago, ddelima said:

Dates and cinnamon omelete. Breakfast treat on Sunday from daddy for the new mom to be.

Congratulations on the impending arrival of a new mouth to feed. :)

Your first?

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

13 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Congratulations on the impending arrival of a new mouth to feed. :)

Your first?

Thank you! Yes, first one and we are anxiously waiting for his arrival around September. 

• Like 4

Lucky guess, based on how put-together your current food looked. :P

My across the hall neighbour is due around the same time, with her second. She's 5'8" or 5'9" and about as big around as my leg, so she's already starting to look like a snake trying to digest a basketball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

“Traditional” German fare continues: marinated pork collar, mashed potatoes (with some sweet potatoes thrown in for good measure) with fried onions and the classic carrot/pea/butter combi. Gravy, of course. And one happy Duvel ☺️

80454E6F-B628-4F86-9FB8-C63530FA4EEB.thumb.jpeg.3fca5a362533577e48d4dcaba7d5ab47.jpeg

• Like 14

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Eatmywords 

do you have those really really really long fine tweezers ?

just in case, you know , you get urges  ?

No but I have a pair for pulling the ticks off the dogs that should suffice.

• Haha 1

That wasn't chicken

My sweetie asked for Eggs Benny tonight, so it was breakfast for dinner. Hash browns for one side, fresh dandelion greens with caramelized onions, garlic and pine nuts for the other.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

“Traditional” German fare continues: marinated pork collar

80454E6F-B628-4F86-9FB8-C63530FA4EEB.thumb.jpeg.3fca5a362533577e48d4dcaba7d5ab47.jpeg

Tell me a little more about the marinated pork collar, please. It looks like it's sliced and then grilled?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

20 hours ago, Smithy said:

@Ann_T, it looks wonderful as usual. I'm especially interested in the Peri-Peri garlic mayonnaise. Did you make it from scratch? Did you have Peri-Peri sauce (as I do, in some cabinet somewhere) and simply add it to the mayonnaise? Some instructions would be welcome.

@Smithy, I have done both. Yesterday I just mixed a little garlic into the mayo along with some Peri-Peri sauce that I found in the pantry.

I do like the homemade version though and would have made it if I had had any of the little hot red peppers on hand. 

The basic recipe is on my blog.....Portuguese Style Grilled Chicken Sandwich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This picture is not of my dinner last night. Although dinner worked out just fine, photographing it was a disaster, which is a pity because the dish actually looked good.

512476356_steamedseabass.thumb.jpg.c489473b6752e5fa79024d4a2581ad4b.jpg

This is a steamed sea bass and last night I steamed another. If you try to imagine the cucumber in the picture is steamed shrimp, you may get an inkling of how last night's version looked. The chilli and green onion on the fish was the same, but I used ginger in the slashes instead of the garlic shown here. I also omittted the soy sauce, only using Shaoxing wine.

I served the fish and prawns with asparagus and rice. I forget what I served the the one pictured with - it was August 2016.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Some while ago I stumbled on Vivek Singh's cooking in The Guardian.  I was so pleased with the results I bought a copy of his Curry Classic and Contemporary.  Now the reviews of Curry are not all positive.  Unobtainable ingredients and impossible restaurant recipes.  That being said it is a beautiful, well written and well illustrated cookbook.

Only one or two dishes did not appeal.  I'm looking at you, liver.  And there is something to offend almost anyone:  beef, lamb, pork, goat, camel, seafood, corn, and little green peas.

Tonight's dinner was kadhai ka shikar, mixed game cooked in an Indian wok (pp 170-171).  Now, I have a kadhai but it became apparent the ingredients would not fit, so I employed my Japanese cast iron Chinese cooking vessel.  Singh explains: Shikar is a Hindi term for hunted meat, and this kadhai-style preparation is a quick and easy way to enjoy whatever you may be able to lay your hands upon."

I'm not sure about the quick and easy part but what I was able to lay my hands upon was a Shoprite chicken breast.  The recipe calls for grouse, partridge, quail, and pheasant.  I would not go so far as to say the recipe was easy.  Some spices such as cumin, fennel, coriander are used multiple ways and added at different times.  It did not help that after I toasted the spice mix I cross threaded the lid of my spice mill such that I cannot get it on or off.  After toasting another quantity of spices I learned my lesson and ground them in a mortar.

Similarly, any well appointed spice shelf will have carom seeds.  I just had never had an opportunity to use them.  And then there were the dried red chillies.  The recipe calls for five.  I grew them.  I know them.  I looked at them.  They looked at me.  I used three.  Note there is no lack of other fresh and powdered peppers in the dish.  They did not feel lonely.

Once everything is prepared the dish comes together quickly.

KadhaiKaShikar05132020.png

Dinner05132020.png

One of the finer bits of cookery I have enjoyed of any cuisine.  I've had nothing to compare in any Indian restaurant.  And five red chillies would not have been too many.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Saag paneer, with onion, some tomatoes, spices.

Mushroom bhaji. Chickpeas and mushrooms, with yogurt, coconut and warm spices.

Spicy carrot chutney (not sweet).

Flatbreads. Yogurt.

IMG_20200505_223511_2.jpg

IMG_20200505_223635.jpg

IMG_20200505_223657.jpg

IMG_20200505_223705_1.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

You guys wanna see a burnt Steak?!? "Tough", I'm showing you one anyway. 

Culinary Goddess that I am, I decided to treat my boys with my first go at a perfectly seared Rump. Seared on a screamingly hot cast iron in butter infused with Garlic - took me 2.5 mins a side to Frick it up. I think it was too hot/thin/long.

In the gap, to add to your suffering, goes a well done fried egg - this time on purpose. Thought I'd spare you Runny Yokers any more disapointment 😂

20200513_192313.thumb.jpg.2531e6d4a4df9a7e7268d42664274382.jpg

Radish & Cabbage Coles-lish to complete. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 13