• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

for a while now , Ive been working w One Pot

Pasta + dishes.  I eat the Combo out of the pot.

back when I visited my Buds at TJ's . esp the wine department 

Id add some Shrubbery to this dish.    I may not chose to do that for a while .

I have a supply of Broadbent  " ends "  : Bacon , Ham hocks , reg ham and premium ham

I have a supply of ' smaller pasta '  the kind that would fit easily in my One Pot technique 

TR.thumb.jpg.328b5e7d6864844db2c1511190276eb0.jpg

this you have seen before :   Turkey Ragu  home made in the pasta you see above . WindowSIll green onion tops

as you can see , this was from a while ago , as I was quite generous w the G.O.Tops.

currently , I Top'd up my supply of SoupBase // Minors  stock bases.  including two

https://www.soupbase.com/RC-Ham-Base-Low-Sodium-No-added-MSG-9-oz/productinfo/CLSHB/

I have plenty of Porky Smoked products , so added the lower salt ham base to the pasta water :

646697683_PastaStock.jpg.ad730512b7a60602ebd7dc95c84607ad.jpg

not the most dynamic pic , but I added a tsp + of the Ham soup base to the water I planned to cook the

pasta in.   they say salt the water ?   I used this instead , not too much.

1093468387_Pastainstock.thumb.jpg.ed5ab48d9dc72bd25ce0df3d1cf8bd4c.jpg

I just cover the pasta w water , in this case w the dissolved Ham Base .. when it boils ,  add the pasta

you have to stir it from time to time so it doesn't stick.   I leave the cover off , the water level drops down a bit over

the cooking time.  remember I used just a tad of the ham base , exogenous commercial salt is not my co-pilot these days

less is better , and over time I feel my taste buds now taste things , rather than '' burn '' 

with those commercial doses of salt.

the finished Pot w some green onion tops I still have :

1590665929_baconPasta.thumb.jpg.9b410ad17b3c2958980a18d01cf994a3.jpg

healthy does of Broadbent bacon ends , I finely diced , soaked in cold water , and sautéed so there was some bowning

on the bottom of the bacon ends , but also some back bits w fat that was not crunchy   the obligatory beaten egg

on the pasta alone while pipping hot  , and the last of my Fz peas , thawed in cold water , drained and

added ' at room temp ' , not cooked

it turned out by chance , that the pasta liquid , decanted 

in two aliquots was completely absorbed by the pasta before eating

and the flavor of this dish was fantastic.   the addition of a little flavor to the pasta cooking water

made a fine difference to the completed dish 

that's the addition I wanted to add for this type of dish.

and mention here.

Tj's  table Red , 6 years in the basement  Cellar Cave

was a very nice addition.   10 bottles of the TJ's to go !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 2

On 5/7/2020 at 7:49 AM, weinoo said:

1372528855_RoastGreenCircle05-06.jpeg.500627a3954a07d106f3873fa7c2cfaf.jpeg

So this roasted chicken was picked clean, and the remnants used in stock making. Confession: I ate both wings, and they did not make it into the stock.

I want to make a chicken pot pie, or a chicken shepherd's pie or whatever it's called. so yesterday my experiment was what would the filling be like. Fortunately, Jacques had recently posted on FB what he does with the remnants of a roasted chicken...

I did the same, only mine was better (maybe 🤣). Cooked the veg in stock as opposed to water. Used crème fraîche in lieu of heavy cream.

2015008299_Chickenpotpieinside05-07.jpeg.a402549e92986b64b2526fa111454d6e.jpeg

Man, was this good. I can't wait to turn it into something else.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Cooking class is over.  Confession: I got the recipes in advance and did not want to wait until 7PMish to eat, so I prepped everything this afternoon 🙂  Well, not the cocktail.  The cocktail was called "A Taste of Spring."  It had lemon juice, simple syrup. creme de violette, and gin--shaken over ice and topped with sparkling wine and fresh violets.  There were 115 people on the zoom class, and not one person other than me seemed to have actually made the cocktail!  Even the chef was drinking rose.  When I joined I blocked my video and muted my mic, but I almost came out of hiding to show that I made the recipe.  I even went to my parents' yard to pick the violets haha!  So, now I have a whole bottle of creme de violette (obtained via contactless curbside pickup at Total Wine) to add to my giant liquor cabinet of obscure cocktail ingredients that I will likely not ever use again.  

2096455161_tasteofspring.thumb.jpg.5c9f908a22108ac069e0c11170d82d43.jpg

The main course was malfatti con pomodoro.  The sauce was really great.  I am glad I doubled the recipe for later use.  I should have doubled the malfatti too.  When I brought the plates to the table, my nephew asked me if I thought I was feeding a bunch of 98 year old ladies 😆   Frankly it was more than enough food for everyone except him.  I only ate four, myself.

malfuddi.thumb.jpg.64fa38762ba1fd66c0a4d4af621f8778.jpg

I am not sure how similar my version is to the one the chef made, because once I found out that all participants were being emailed a video of the class, I left to eat 🙂  Quarantine has my family on a weird food schedule.  Pre-quarantine, we ate dinner at 8:30-9PM.  Now, people get antsy if dinner is not on the table by 6PM at the very latest.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 3

@mgaretz – I love true cheeseburgers – American cheese, on a bun, mustard, mayo, lettuce.  But when I see one of your gorgeous burgers, I want exactly that -  no “stuff”, just that incredible charred beef!

@Shelby – love the fish fillets.  The coating looks so perfect.  

@rotuts – good way to use those ham bits and pieces! 

@weinoo – I always get the wings.  Kitchen snack.  Honestly, the way I “carve”, they aren’t much: I try to leave as much meat as possible on the breast, so it’s really just skin and a little nibble. 

@liamsaunt – I have never heard of malfatti, but they sound and look delicious. 

It’s Friday.  We wanted something good.  Friday nights before the virus were often date nights.  We tried a new to us pizza place.  The Caesar salad:

IMG_2081.jpg.e10f970f1f9579a9b5382d18d21dbf94.jpg

That is feta…and cucumbers…and tomatoes…and a pepperoncini.  It was not a Caesar.  It was a Greek salad.  With green olives.  And packaged Italian dressing.  Sigh.  When ordering from a new pizza place we almost always order the same things – one with cheese and one with just pepperoni and sausage.  The cheese:

IMG_2080.jpg.f3803ebb7d0a7141bb0efbde597fdc53.jpg

I wondered if albino pizza was a thing now.

And the meats:

IMG_2083.jpg.fe095456466cc8de64ed70906201faac.jpg

Meats were tasteless.  Extremely ordinary.  I really don’t understand why no one in Richmond can make a GOOD pizza.  I hear reviews and opinions – “best pizza ever”, “we’re from NY and this is GREAT pizza”.  And you go and it’s…fine.  A little better than the big three.  Very disappointing.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 10

50 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@mgaretz – I love true cheeseburgers – American cheese, on a bun, mustard, mayo, lettuce.  But when I see one of your gorgeous burgers, I want exactly that -  no “stuff”, just that incredible charred beef!

@Shelby – love the fish fillets.  The coating looks so perfect.  

@rotuts – good way to use those ham bits and pieces! 

@weinoo – I always get the wings.  Kitchen snack.  Honestly, the way I “carve”, they aren’t much: I try to leave as much meat as possible on the breast, so it’s really just skin and a little nibble. 

@liamsaunt – I have never heard of malfatti, but they sound and look delicious. 

It’s Friday.  We wanted something good.  Friday nights before the virus were often date nights.  We tried a new to us pizza place.  The Caesar salad:

IMG_2081.jpg.e10f970f1f9579a9b5382d18d21dbf94.jpg

That is feta…and cucumbers…and tomatoes…and a pepperoncini.  It was not a Caesar.  It was a Greek salad.  With green olives.  And packaged Italian dressing.  Sigh.  When ordering from a new pizza place we almost always order the same things – one with cheese and one with just pepperoni and sausage.  The cheese:

IMG_2080.jpg.f3803ebb7d0a7141bb0efbde597fdc53.jpg

I wondered if albino pizza was a thing now.

And the meats:

IMG_2083.jpg.fe095456466cc8de64ed70906201faac.jpg

Meats were tasteless.  Extremely ordinary.  I really don’t understand why no one in Richmond can make a GOOD pizza.  I hear reviews and opinions – “best pizza ever”, “we’re from NY and this is GREAT pizza”.  And you go and it’s…fine.  A little better than the big three.  Very disappointing.

Pizza outside of  the Amtrak Northeast Corridor  is problematic. 20 miles on either side, at most , you can find a good pie.  DC (and I'm being charitable) to Boston.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Pistachios. I get pissed  when the ones that are barely open won’t open. But now I’m contemplating buying a couple dozen clams... on the half shell, in white clam sauce. Oreganato, maybe on top of a puff pastry.... local 130 in jersey delivers all over the state. 
  Just wish I knew how to shuck clams and oysters! 

• Like 2

Dinner05092020.png

A better Philips grilled pork chop than one deserved.  Apple sauce with freshly pounded mace.  Sour cream for the potato.  Brussels' sprouts dressed with Extra Vecchio Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena D.O.P.  What am I saving it for, the apocalypse?  Helped along by a liter of methode rotuts.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 5/7/2020 at 9:31 AM, Captain said:

Haha. I know right. I use about a hand full.  I don't really measure.  I'm guessing 1/3 of a cup added to 2lt of water.  I like to toss in other things as well but that's usually what I have on hand.  Pepper corns,  bay leaf, lemon and sometimes wild honey.

Can I ask what kind of salt you use? Despite a lot of reading, I still don't really understand the translation of Kosher salt etc. 

Playing with a new flour--This is a Burrato flour from italy.  This first cook was just straight wheat flour ( no 00 or spelt added )

I did 65% hydration fron a 2 day rise.

https://www.formaggiokitchen.com/mulino-marino-wheat-flour-tipo-quot-00-quot-extra-fine-1kg

49859679513_966070e0ee_b.jpg

this was next day shot

49863971651_a40ce802e9_b.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

@JoNorvelleWalker Looking at your baked potato I can see why you would be disappointed with your CSO result (this conversation is from the CSO thread).  If I remember you bake your potatoes at 430F for two hours on salt and that's how you get that deep crust.  Nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my continuing quest to plate like a meal might be plated on death row:

824399044_Shrimpandsalads05-07.jpeg.ac6362d73090984e0aa2f1e697a55944.jpeg

Gorgeous shrimp (U15) from Alaska. Potato salad. Fennel, shallot and radish salad. Topped with avo.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Take away.

Fatayer flatbread, laminated with olive oil, fresh zaatar leaves, spinach, baked on a saj until charred and crisp, elastic and tender.

Grape leaves, stuffed with creamy and lightly spiced, lemony rice.

Labneh, olive oil, zaatar. Veggies and olives.

IMG_20200502_133033.thumb.jpg.75889cb04689fa9e33d8d680f3833cb5.jpgIMG_20200502_132438.thumb.jpg.0afe6f4967dc5918ca9035b234a97edb.jpgIMG_20200502_133355.thumb.jpg.d4ff95153a992ab74d547e4145002190.jpg

IMG_20200502_131616.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

4 minutes ago, weinoo said:

In my continuing quest to plate like a meal might be plated on death row:

824399044_Shrimpandsalads05-07.jpeg.ac6362d73090984e0aa2f1e697a55944.jpeg

Gorgeous shrimp (U15) from Alaska. Potato salad. Fennel, shallot and radish salad. Topped with avo.

I really like those "watermelon" radishes. I found some seed last year and grew them in my garden, and plan to again this year.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@weinoo 

I take it avo is avocado oil.

this got me thinking :   I tried a bottle from TJ's some time ago

and did not move in that direction as it had almost no taste 

as I was expecting a hint of avocado.    its also said to be very healthy and have a high

smoke point.    after your post , Ive decided should I ever get back to Tjs

Ill get some if they have any , and use it for oil w excellent ' properties '

but little additional flavor , ie your dish w EVOO   , as tasty as that is

might not have tasted "  as fresh '  w EVOO.

I made notes for the future .  so thanks

[ed.: he will put the notes somewhere and forget where ! ]

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I really like those "watermelon" radishes. I found some seed last year and grew them in my garden, and plan to again this year.

Mine are just peaking out of the soil.  Can't wait to eat them! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

I take it avo is avocado oil.

No, it's actually just the avocado sliced on top.  I do have avocado oil that I keep in the fridge and use for its high smoke point.

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Burger with mushrooms and brie mornay sauce, sides of pan-roasted brussels sprouts and air-fried potato slices with bleu cheese

20200507_191412.jpg

20200507_191300.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1