• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Iraqi beetroot kubbeh soup. Beetroot, chickpeas, celery, onion, paprika, baharat. Vegetarian semolina kubbeh with chickpeas, caramelized onion and mushrooms filling. Couscous.

IMG_20200430_213633.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

First use of the grill this spring. Chicken breasts (cooked a few extra for freezer stock), sweet potatoes, red bell pepper. Chopped salad from a bag.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 minute ago, BeeZee said:

First use of the grill this spring. Chicken breasts (cooked a few extra for freezer stock), sweet potatoes, red bell pepper. Chopped salad from a bag.

I had chicken breast and sweet potato last night.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Two meals (of course)

Ladies: miso salmon with peanut noodles and veggies

1715989426_misosalmon.thumb.jpg.2c10ad4c4b29bb28a5c256d8a97d9913.jpg

Gentlemen: steak sandwich with roasted peppers and onions, and arugula, mustard, cheese etc.  Plus pasta salad from my food share box that came today.

2007917335_steaksandwich.thumb.jpg.9388917411e8a7b61f3e8cb9f0bf020c.jpg

Tomorrow I am Zoom cooking dinner with the chef from my favorite restaurant on Cape Cod.  Everyone WILL be eating the same thing!  🙂

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

13 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Two meals (of course)

Ladies: miso salmon with peanut noodles and veggies

1715989426_misosalmon.thumb.jpg.2c10ad4c4b29bb28a5c256d8a97d9913.jpg

Gentlemen: steak sandwich with roasted peppers and onions, and arugula, mustard, cheese etc.  Plus pasta salad from my food share box that came today.

2007917335_steaksandwich.thumb.jpg.9388917411e8a7b61f3e8cb9f0bf020c.jpg

Tomorrow I am Zoom cooking dinner with the chef from my favorite restaurant on Cape Cod.  Everyone WILL be eating the same thing!  🙂

You are super nice.  You always make at least two different proteins etc.  I am not that nice lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

we smoked/ grilled in the BGE a turkey London broil. It took 3x as long as anticipated and it looked like jerker but it was insanely juicy with a great smoke ring. First time doing it and not the last. 

• Like 7

@MetsFan5 - you've got me stumped.  What is a turkey London broil?

SV flat iron steak.  After searing:

IMG_2063.thumb.jpg.efc8b1c42099272c0bd8002f0e9ab8ca.jpg

Served with Michael Ruhlman’s Cognac Cream Sauce that ended up being Sherry Evaporated Milk sauce because that’s what I had😁, baked potato, salad, and ATK bread:

IMG_2064.thumb.jpg.672e135560ed0decf896c2680499ea10.jpg

IMG_2061.thumb.jpg.537f18544f757b4adb50f2c61c5539ca.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg.02e963c54dab46fd97a3abb769600478.jpg

The sauce was good, but not as good as when I have cognac and cream!  

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

@Kim Shook this article kind of describes it: 

https://njmonthly.com/articles/eat-drink/soup-to-nuts/turkey-london-broil-a-jersey-original/

but it’s outdated. Most butchers in NJ carry it, vacuum sealed in a bag with a light marinade. It is a Jersey thing I believe. 

We did not use the advice above, we smoked it with indirect heat. I am not a turkey person and this was the best turkey I’ve ever had. It was almost hammy but juicer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Kim Shook, Turkey london broil is basically half of a boneless breast. Perdue sells vac packed pre-marinated ones, some supermarkets have plain ones that are injected/light brine, we have a local turkey farm that sells untreated ones. They can dry out if you get the plain ones, so I do my own marinade. Wegmans probably sells them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Ulli theeyal (onions with coconut, coriander seeds, chili, fenugreek and a few more spices).

Methi matar (peas with onion, fenugreek leaves, cream, spices).

Spicy carrot chutney with toasty mustard, cumin, curry leaves, garlic, chili and a few more spices. 

Rice with lentils.

IMG_20200501_153005.thumb.jpg.6a2bbbfd578e8f2e78252c2af36351a7.jpgIMG_20200502_210516.thumb.jpg.de90f89c14ed37c335ccf7378cf53c22.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Well, I was dropped off samples yesterday from a meat supplier..  I have a lot of beef... I  do not eat a lot of beef usually.. I usually eat fish but, fish has been in short supply to me and meat has not been.. So, instead of actively seeking it out, I am going with the flow..  

How much meat you ask?  

49870054838_039997307d_c.jpg

So yeh, at least it's sealed.  It will freeze and I will dole out to neighbors I am sure.  As I already have too much meat in my freezer from the last time this happened. 

So,we ate outside.  Which was nice so, i wanted to do everything in the grill... 

Start start I made a watercress and spinach gratin. Blanched and chopped the greens.  Cooked a half an onion in butter and garlic then added the spinach and a shot of sweet vermouth.  Then off the heat I added sour cream, an egg yolk, mustard, nutmeg, parm, salt, pepper and cayenne.   Topped with more parm, bread crumbs and dots of butter..  I placed this in my cast iron gratin dish.. It had previous been my perfect nacho pan and a great queso fundido container but, now it was finally serving its original purpose. 

My photo:

49870555216_ac5540296e_c.jpg

Not wanting to get the food processor out, i stratched at the last 1/6 of a loaf of sourdough bread with a fork.. Raking the fork back and forth, and back and fork, until little crumbs came shedding off..  I used these bread crumbs for the gratin but, now I just murdered this bread... So, I cut it into chunks,  i grilled the bread, i rubbed garlic on the grilled bread, then I rubbed tomato over the bread and took more tomato and squeezed it over the bread, I added salt and oil and olive oil and then these canned anchovies with chile oil over them and tossed with basil.  A pan con tomate panzanella something or other. 

This is what happens when my wife takes photos:

49870861117_328cb64713_c.jpg

I also had some pretty hen of woods mushrooms... So, I wanted to just simply roast that on the grill with a ramp butter.. I looked and noticed I have a few ramps that escaped me.. they didn't look super hot but, i have been doing so well at not throwing anything away.. Again, it's a huge stress among many people I know... For instance. I have these sprouts that may have gone bad in my fridge.. It's like on my top 10 concerns for the day... It freaking lurking back there in my mind. 

So, I made a quick ramp butter.. 4 tablespoons of butter, 3 ounces of ramps, salt and a squeeze of lemon. 

49870555801_aa43641bf4_c.jpg

So, bring cocktails down, bottle of wine down, speaker, turn on the string lights.. The grill is lit, slight chill in the area, birds are chirping..  All in the middle of Brooklyn.. It was a beautiful night.. 

Into the fire, I added some wood chips.. i had the coals hot but, not  an inferno. I threw the steak in, I threw the gratin in and the mushrooms in a pan...  At one point, I cut off all the air and let the smoke build in the green egg.. It almost like pressure cooks everything and creates this huge amount of sealed in smoke... It permeates everything... It provided such a wonderful flavor to everything but, especially the water cress and spinach.. That smoke played with the nutmeg and the sweetness of the vermouth..  It was the best thing I have had in recent memory.  It was shockingly good. Everything was very good but, that was next level. 

I love that gratin dish so much...

49870021238_bc2fa76bcc_c.jpg

Wifes photo:

49870555021_07686b67ea_c.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 7

12 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

we smoked/ grilled in the BGE a turkey London broil. It took 3x as long as anticipated and it looked like jerker but it was insanely juicy with a great smoke ring. First time doing it and not the last. 

When I first started smoking, i would do brined turkey breast wrapped in bacon and smoked... I haven't done that in over 15 years... Now I have to! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@liamsaunt that peanut noodle salad looks right up my alley. Can you share the recipe? 

The recipe was in my local paper a couple of weeks ago.  Here is a link: peanut butter noodles

I think it makes more than four servings--more like six.  

9 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@liamsaunt Great stuff! How do you cook the miso salmon?

Super simple: 1/4 cup white miso mixed with 2 tbsp. each sake and sugar.  Marinate the fish for at least 8 and up to 24 hours. Broil until cooked to desired temperature.  We like ours rare in the center.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, BKEats said:

Well, I was dropped off samples yesterday from a meat supplier..  I have a lot of beef... I  do not eat a lot of beef usually.. I usually eat fish but, fish has been in short supply to me and meat has not been.. So, instead of actively seeking it out, I am going with the flow.. 

Those damn suppliers! How annoying.  Perhaps I can assist.  The next time they attempt a drop off give them my address and I'll take on the burden for you (because that's the type of person I am).  This has to stop!

(Unbelievably beautiful steak tho)

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

That wasn't chicken

2 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

Those damn suppliers! How annoying.  Perhaps I can assist.  The next time they attempt a drop off give them my address and I'll take on the burden for you (because that's the type of person I am).  This has to stop!

(Unbelievably beautiful steak tho)

Seriously, food management is like one of my biggest stresses right now.. I mean outside of actual real horrible problems.. 

• Like 2