• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

i stopped by my fish supplier today.. they opened a retail spot in a building they own.. very bare bones, a garage essentially, lots of cement.. lots of fish.. i purchased two pounds of shell on NC Shrimp and a 1 lb filet of grouper.. he was so excited about the grouper, i had no choice.. plus, i had purchased a mango at mexico 2g so, i felt the world was finally telling me to pair the two.. while i have had it, it's so cliche, or I guess, classic, i never wanted to f with it.  but, a ceviche sounds fun.. plus i have chorizo, so maybe fish and chorizo tacos, or a chorizo bread crumb topping for the grouper.. so, i let myself be sold.  I have a lb of grouper.. which i already portioned off for things. 

I left my house at 730 this morning and returned for the first time at 10...  My only break had me running 4 miles before going back to work.  cooked dinner and well, went back to work.. but, it was a fun hour dinner from turning on the stove to heading back. 

I cut up 6 cloves of garlic, cooked in a quarter stick of butter and a little oil.. just to up to the burn point. kept the flame low regardless.. then added tomato paste, some cherry tomatoes, some vermouth, some smoked paprika and thyme, then was like, maybe this would be good with the chorizo.  Add some broken up pieces of the chorizo, then squeezed an 8th of a lemon, added salt, pepper... sauce was coming together nicely.. tasting as i go... purposely avoiding adding the jalapeno i had on the ready, or anything spicy.  We were going deep, i had a muscadet in the fridge.  

I added the shrimp and tossed about.. the shrimp, it was like 14 to a pound.. i deshelled, kept the shells in a bag and into the freezer with the rest of them.. i had kept the tails on and deturded them.. a few minutes cooking and it was time to plate.  

disclaimer:  No vegetables were harmed in the making of this meal

edit to add: the first of the 15 shrimp I prepped., i mindlessly removed the tail and that's the shrimp front and center.. anyway, i like that you can scoop the sauce up in the shell and have a little shot.  

49844839097_3960a374f7_z.jpg

I had a one pound dry aged steak.. i felt it was nice to throw a bit out.. so, i cut off perhaps a quarter.. salted and cooked on the plancha.. my main focus was on the shrimp so, the steak while cooked to temp, didnt have the best char as it was too thin.. i just did a quick salt pepper minute steak and topped with butter... it was a few bites and totally delicious. but, yeh, jack of all trades.  The shrimp did not suffer.. 

fancy salt came next

49844839337_07b3fc3b6d_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Bitter melon soup!!  Stuffed with wood ear shrooms/shitake/pork/scallop / cellophane noodle/cilantro/scallions--i tried to mimic that in my soup too

Ha the only mushroom I can not stand fresh fresh or dried (shitake) but oh yes the soup is my comfort go to. A local Vietnamese market had it on the steam table - decent version. Love the ties. 

• Like 2

@BKEats -- if you have any shrimp left, make etouffee, then broil that grouper very simply with butter, salt and pepper, and top with the etouffee. A favorite dish on the "Redneck Riviera," i.e., the Alabama-Florida Gulf Coast. Rice is always a good side.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Baked sambusak filled with feta, boiled eggs, tomatoes, chickpeas, zaatar, fresh chili, onion.

Served with pickles, schug and tahini.

IMG_20200425_213522.thumb.jpg.450e28a98e153fe2707fd088ebe3a568.jpgIMG_20200425_215121.thumb.jpg.b6c32d764462c2c4a08375d50bfa495f.jpg

Baked two of those, they are a bit over sized.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

Found some dried ancho peppers and decided to make some adobo sauce. Marinated two slabs of pork neck with it and cooked them SV @74oC for 20h.

Shredded, crisped under the broiler and served with freshly made wheat tortillas and the fixings ... very satisfying !

9BAE2D28-E0CC-42B7-A23F-7615E7737DB5.thumb.jpeg.b26d9f42fd6f679181efc7d5ede83b99.jpeg

C5EF08CD-66B4-4EE5-AEF4-E3D0A2DA3395.thumb.jpeg.ff6331486b662cee1b87a338d9084b2f.jpeg

1E8C58BC-4301-47B4-8EFB-F2C9469665D8.thumb.jpeg.effe1dcf61e999b74a7391e257999085.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 4

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

@scamhi 

has at least 11 bottles, or  more .

In the Cellar   basement

this was just a Test.

a little Teaser suggesting the Future.

at my quarantine home we have 2 54 bottle wine fridges (full of course) at home in BK, NY another full cellar with many many more bottles and 115 cases at offsite storage in NJ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

First day off in a bit... hung out in the backyard and didn't do much... Read a hundred pages of a book, drank wine, cheese, grilled fish... I had this pretty grouper from yesterday.  I cut off a nice piece.. .Smashed up some garlic and salt in the mortar.. added a little lemon juice.  

Cooked on the plancha.. Threw in some hickory a few moments prior to throwing in the fish.. real light smoke.. It was all effortless, easy turn, no sticking.. I squeezed a half of a lemon and a half of a lime over the fish. 

49847956962_ef10ac57b8_z.jpg

49847958342_8178c65076_z.jpg

Salsa was 2 sliced fennel, mango juice from the 1 mango as well as the mango slices, half a  lime, half a jalapeno, black pepper,  salt and some cilantro.   Oh and olive oil. 

49847957772_6196af0b50_z.jpg

As cliched as this was, it was fantastic.. the fish was cooked perfectly,  the plancha is a 10 inch, so that fish wasn't tiny.  I am going to guess 5 to 6 minutes a side.  I would... We spoke about how we would improve it.. We thought maybe to blacken the fish, though the jalapeno was hot.  So maybe remove the jalapeno and blacken... Or we said keep the salad and serve sitting in a coconut shrimp broth it may have been braised in.  Sub out the jalapeno for a more fruity pepper, habanero.   But yes, the fish quality was excellent and it was done really well on the bbq.    I would do something along these lines again.  

49847956797_f816e7b3f0_z.jpg

Later cheese:

49847652116_105b2a5437_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 4

First night nice enough to eat outside!

Sous vide smoked pork tenderloin and chicken thigh, braised cippolini, pan roasted potatoes, dressed with a Cumberland sauce vinaigrette.

021.thumb.jpg.b55ec56883ace0299a1c5b79ae78a844.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 3

42 minutes ago, BKEats said:

First day off in a bit... hung out in the backyard and didn't do much... Read a hundred pages of a book, drank wine, cheese, grilled fish... I had this pretty grouper from yesterday.  I cut off a nice piece.. .Smashed up some garlic and salt in the mortar.. added a little lemon juice.  

Cooked on the plancha.. Threw in some hickory a few moments prior to throwing in the fish.. real light smoke.. It was all effortless, easy turn, no sticking.. I squeezed a half of a lemon and a half of a lime over the fish. 

49847956962_ef10ac57b8_z.jpg

Ya gotta love eG when people casually toss out "I threw some grouper on the grill" I would kill

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

First night nice enough to eat outside!

Sous vide smoked pork tenderloin and chicken thigh, braised cippolini, pan roasted potatoes, dressed with a Cumberland sauce vinaigrette.

021.thumb.jpg.b55ec56883ace0299a1c5b79ae78a844.jpg

I hope you wore a mask.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I hope you wore a mask.

Nobody around for hundreds of yards unless you count deer and woodpeckers 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tried a different bulgogi recipe from the Korea Town cookbook. It was different in several ways but I thought it was really good.  Charlie invited our back yard neighbors to join us. He is and EMT and she works for a medical research lab so they both are knowledgeable about safety in this day and age. Plus they are our closest friends in the neighborhood.  I also tried a new recipe for peach cobbler and we had that for dessert.

20200502_173123.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12

We had a quick salad last night with grilled salmon and pineapple.  The main focus was cubing and seasoning four pork butts to make into sausage.  Today I ground and linked up approximately six pounds of luganeca, six pounds of shawarma/feta and ten pounds of southern style sausage using A. C. Leggs #10 blend.  I added some pink salt to the Leggs batch since I plan on smoking some tomorrow.  I set aside about four pounds of Leggs as bulk sausage for breakfast patties.  Supper tonight was a test link of each style for quality control purpose's.  No photo but the samples were great.  

IMG_20200501_190214058.thumb.jpg.88c11d9ac73c2db13720194fec022df8.jpg

IMG_20200502_202808804.thumb.jpg.046bb92ed66b3edbc9a70eb1e2216463.jpg

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 16