• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

11 hours ago, BKEats said:

could you eat everything on the plate or were there a lot of leaves you couldnt eat 

It was a large, cooked ARTICHOKE.    You ate the big chunks of seafood with a fork, then pulled off leaves coated with the delicious sauce.   After biting/pulling off the eddible tip of the leaf, it is discarded.    Used knife and fork to attack heart.    Think "Henry VIII goes to the shore"!   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 2

eGullet member #80.

20 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I@liamsaunt - that is a wonderful looking fish sandwich.  What is that beside it?  They look like a cross between Fritos and batter fried celery. 😄

They are strangely shaped oven fries.  This kind: super crispy dipper fries  

Last night, miso coconut salmon curry with spinach and shiitake mushrooms

1872529854_salmoncurry.thumb.jpg.0946c4e76a466c8c61542ab3f3581485.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

@Toliver– thank you so much!  I do tend to sometimes feel insecure about my food, but everyone at eG is so nice and supportive that I know that I needn’t. 

@Ann_T – your cioppino is lovely!  I’m quite sure that I would embarrass myself by demolishing an entire loaf of bread sopping up that gorgeous sauce!

@ddelima – that whole meal is fantastic looking, but that bread is especially amazing looking!

@CantCookStillTry – damn!  Once again I am torn between hitting “like” and hitting “laugh”.  You are someone I’d love to spend some time with.  Mr. Kim is working from home today and “Sh!t” made me cackle so loudly that he came to find me!

Dinner last night was chicken spaghetti (thanks for the idea, @kayb), Brussels sprouts, and the last brioche roll:

IMG_1968.jpg.d4e7d700cd12900b1e2c681381044587.jpg

This is really my favorite way to have sprouts now – they are sliced, sautéed in ghee, and topped with saba:

IMG_1967.jpg.fff268dfde4f4ed41bfe9201b745d154.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

This is really my favorite way to have sprouts now – they are sliced, sautéed in ghee, and topped with saba:

IMG_1967.jpg.fff268dfde4f4ed41bfe9201b745d154.jpg

You sent me down a Google rabbit hole referencing "saba".

I like a little shot of balsamic vinegar on my buttered Brussel sprouts. Not a lot of vinegar...enough to cut the richness of the butter but not overpower the flavor. Looks good!

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

18 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I like a little shot of balsamic vinegar on my buttered Brussel sprouts. Not a lot of vinegar...enough to cut the richness of the butter but not overpower the flavor. Looks good!

Saba and balsamic are cousins, I think.  And Saba is already thick.  They are about the same price.  And I'm not sure that there is a lot of difference between the two.  I find saba a little more gentle, if that makes any sense at all.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Toliver said:

We have a topic. I miss my grape vines   

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, heidih said:

We have a topic. I miss my grape vines   

Thanks! How could I have missed this 13 years ago? xD

'

edited to add: Paula Wolfert! She participated in that discussion. It was wonderful to see her, @Fat Guy and @Abra again. I'd forgotten the giants that have walked the halls of this forum. Thanks Heidi!

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Like 6

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

So, this will be dinner:

deboned a game hen

49834905651_e259d0cc6a_z.jpg

Stuffed with sausage:  A ramp sausage:

49835203557_826924d202_z.jpg<

Stuffed the bird:

49835203502_06093252e7_z.jpg

Tie the bird:

49834358933_3d79d2ba51_z.jpg

Cover with a pomegranate molasses with garlic, ramps, salt, pepper and zatar.. 

49835268392_88cc2160f9_z.jpg

Then grilled the pieces of lunch and had a the stuffing grilled on a stick:

49834358748_473d31b9c4_z.jpg

\

49834358338_bfcba2ce28_z.jpg

Since prepping the chicken, my buddy dropped off a sourdough bread and I got scallops from this store I passed so, chicken may be differed to tomorrow night or afternoon. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 6

18 minutes ago, BKEats said:

So, this will be dinner:

deboned a game hen

pomagranate molasses with garlic, ramps, salt, pepper and zatar.. 

Great flavor combo - I like the pom molasses with the hens. I would not object to a few drops in the scallop dish either. 

• Like 2

While at the Asian market the other day, I noticed packages of bulgogi and kalbi in the freezer section.  It was all ready to thaw and cook.  We both were happy to find that they were both good.  They will be good to keep some in the freezer for a quick meal. One package would not have been enough for the two of us though.  Notice the cooking direction on the package. :)

20200429_161544.jpg

20200429_162508.jpg

20200429_165809.jpg

20200429_165926.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Saba and balsamic are cousins, I think.  And Saba is already thick.  They are about the same price.  And I'm not sure that there is a lot of difference between the two.  I find saba a little more gentle, if that makes any sense at all.  

I used to reduce balsamic for sprouts. Saba is pretty similar and stable in its bottle.

• Like 2

Omelettes for the Mr. Little dude had a Kofta and Rice 'thing'. 

Cheese, Red Pepper, Onion & Bacon on one side and Spinach, Mushroom & Feta on the other. 

Apparently I didn't tell him they were different. The momentary horror on his face when he swapped to spinach and thought I'd fed him rotten egg was quite amusing. 

20200430_192650.thumb.jpg.8f54b470a1e9eea54bba22f54db233ba.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

I know I cooked shrimp a couple of days ago (my memory isn't that bad), but today for the first time since January, I found my favourite large, live, wild shrimp again! Couldn't resist.

Did in a Thai style red curry with asparagus, and Chinese chives.

20200430_194048.thumb.jpg.3fc2f22eb9a8e82b82fa849a22c7953c.jpg

20200430_194056.thumb.jpg.6f1c2952591894a014af5a95306cc0c2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto