• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Jessica came over and cooked something completely ersatz and really delicious.  She cobbled together a few different internet recipes and added this and that and came up with a version of the Chinese buffet fake crabmeat casserole:

IMG_1962.jpg.376dd2f4dcef30c3e091897f46783ab8.jpg

It was creamy and loaded with the fish.  Much better than the buffet.  More than 10 years ago @Domestic Goddess posted a recipe for a ham and fake crab salad that I've used over and over again.  She was a Filipino living in Korea.  She mentioned to me that the fake crab was very popular in both places.  I've never apologized for liking it since. 😁

Hi @Kim Shook Could you please direct me to the recipe for this ham and fake crab salad? A friend and I have been trying to get a good recipe for "Seafood Dynamite" and I think we can adjust this ham / fake crab salad recipe to make it into Seafood Dynamite. TIA.

5 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Hi @Kim Shook Could you please direct me to the recipe for this ham and fake crab salad? A friend and I have been trying to get a good recipe for "Seafood Dynamite" and I think we can adjust this ham / fake crab salad recipe to make it into Seafood Dynamite. TIA.

Here you go!  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Our dinner of Shame – Hamburger Helper:

IMG_1961.thumb.jpg.457bab6a44f91141d159efb4b643311a.jpg

Kim, please don't ever apologize for liking Hamburger Helper. Some days we're Ina Garten in the kitchen and others days we're Sandra Lee or Paula Deen. All of it's good as long as we're making it for people we love.

I also enjoy it and also make it every once in awhile. My mom made a lot of it back in the 70's. She would also take some eggy bread rolls, slice them and dip them in a melted butter (actually, she would use margarine ¬¬) and garlic powder mixture and brown them in a skillet on the stove to serve along side. It was Texas Toast before Texas Toast became a thing.:B

To me it's one of my comfort foods and it's one of yours, as well. So enjoy it without any guilt.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My unauthentic cooking streak continues.  Gumbo.  Roux made with butter and shmaltz.  No celery but I did have onions and green peppers.  Kielbasa instead of andouille sausage.  Chicken and okra.  Rice from Baja Fresh.  It was delicious!  

66814B76-9157-4D59-9715-F4373E0B2884.thumb.jpeg.402102c0064f2bd168cb165557ba11d8.jpeg

• Like 19

1336537369_Mushroombarley04-28.jpeg.aea0c6c2acf4a5e5222d47a837d26fa0.jpeg

3-mushroom (cremini, shitake, porcini) barley soup. As the main of a multi-plate, try to make some room in the fridge, dinner...

1424195367_Mushroombarleysaladrootssalad.jpeg.61a0642a5d1acd4e69c2f02c99e0ec21.jpeg

Said soup, with a nice salad of scallion, radishes, cucumber, tomato, and avocado.

Next plate was Japanese baby turnips, fingerling potatoes and Jerusalem artichoke, roasted in duck fat,  in the steam girl. Alongside just a half of an andouille sausage, with some mustard and horseradish.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, BKEats said:

Made a fun dinner last night... Stuffed artichokes... I took homemade bread crumbs added anchovy, parm, lemon rinds, olive oil, pepper, oregano, red pepper, and black pepper... Stuffed inside the artichoke... put in pot with a little water, covered and baked for like an hour... 

The anchovy is a perfect addition:

49829468283_b8a7afb957_z.jpg

Since I see you're willing to play with artichokes and since you're a pro and can extrapolate the concept, I recall one of the best dishes of my life, by Nancy Oakes at the Mad Hatter Bar before she moved downtown.

Essentially, a large artichoke, leaves pulled outward and stuffed with shellfish ragout.   Shrimp, bay scallops, squid in a rich tomato, garlic, basil sauce.    To die for, and to remember over 25 years!    Go for it and let us hear about it.

• Like 5

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Since I see you're willing to play with artichokes and since you're a pro and can extrapolate the concept, I recall one of the best dishes of my life, by Nancy Oakes at the Mad Hatter Bar before she moved downtown.

Essentially, a large artichoke, leaves pulled outward and stuffed with shellfish ragout.   Shrimp, bay scallops, squid in a rich tomato, garlic, basil sauce.    To die for, and to remember over 25 years!    Go for it and let us hear about it.

Today I actually was playing with artichokes...  I removed most of the leaves, cut in half, removed the prickly stuff.  Then i just braised for about 40 minutes in salted water, lemon and garlic... I also just tossed the leaves in the water the way you would do rose petals in a bath... I think put on a plate with a little broth, parm, and lemon.. i like having full access to the steam and artichoke and get the leaves after..  I thought of braising the artichokes in the broth again and added seafood.. Is that what you mean?  Sort of steam and choke attached and then braised with a seafood broth... Almost like this https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/braised-artichokes-with-tomatoes-and-mint  because, that looks like it could use some seafood.   I have so many artichokes at the shop that are going to go bad in the next 4 days... So, I will be eating artichokes for a bit most likely.. 

But, getting back to the dish you were referring to..  So, the artichoke was kept whole the way my stuffed one is above?  So like braised whole and then smothered with seafood? 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

7888802A-65D0-41E4-92BF-63F4293A6B66.thumb.jpeg.0209b71961ba03cbde89ac023aa2c170.jpeg

Pulled Pork, Black Bean and Pickled Jalapeño Nachos

8FFFFA0F-0E20-431B-B814-D97C4428D7E7.thumb.jpeg.b7f758014e42453ce80f36e73bcb4647.jpeg

Baked at 350F for 11 minutes. Served with guacamole and sour cream.

E0C405AB-6154-4DD6-A82E-B319BE067EED.thumb.jpeg.2e926274dfad41b881a6d9fd0cd787d9.jpeg

I thought they were olives, i was like, i back it!  Looks very good.. When i leave new york, i often get olives and cubed chicken on my pizza.. I then cover it in hot sauce and red pepper... It's sort of my out of new york go to pizza order...   

I got home an hour ago, my wife is yet to come home... She told me she wanted me to make dinner so, i prepped it all out.. After cleaning my fridge, i found a vacuum pack bag of kalamata olives from greece.. we were in philly and there was a greek store and well, 1.5 years later, it's in a pasta dish...  The pasta is a sample so we wanted to try it...   

I add bread crumbs because I am a heathen... 

49832085136_e859a8084d_z.jpg

• Like 9

Puttanesca.. Oh boy, fan freaking tastic.. the olives were so good.. really well balanced dish.   Something about the mix of fresh tomatoes and canned and then really only cooking it all for less than 8 minutes, it was bright and salty and fruity..  I successfully avoided shaving orange rinds into the dish.

49832491427_8597b59aee_z.jpg

49831647973_c6298cd0c5_z.jpg

When I first heard of this dish, as a kid, the first thing you hear about is that it's a whore's pasta.. And the legend has it, they needed to make something quick.. And really that is where the beauty of the dish comes in.. Everything is moments.. In fact i first cooked the garlic in oil, then added the anchovy and almost immediately after added the tomatoes and all the other ingredients.. Once all the ingredients were added, it tasted done immediately.. It tasted good almost like a cold sauce, something like what I guess the original ketchup was made to taste like.. like it would have tasted fun as a cold pasta salad with  farfalle maybe..

49832491142_352c5c868a_z.jpg

by the way, the pasta is supposedly made or has the license of a famous chef.. it's really good.. a small sturdy semolina and egg based tagliolini.  I prefer thicker wider noodles but, i am also pretty easy. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Well gosh. I rarely take pictures of dishes, but I did tonight, so I’ll chip in: grilled chicken breast on brown basmati with steamed veg and an arugula salad.

BE76C7B1-84AB-41C6-AC8A-4AE9BEB2B239.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

This may come as a complete shock to you guys BUT I am NOT chief of BBQ in my house. I generally hate outside. But being the Stepford Candidate I am, I decided to delight my Carnivore with some delicious BBQ tasting meat for dinner tonight. 

Chicken Sticks & Lamb Kofta.

What a nightmare. I didn't know if it was cooked. The chicken was on for about 20 mins longer than it would have been inside 🤦‍♀️. I made up new swears everytime my PJ toggles brushed my legs!

20200429_190625.thumb.jpg.b0decbb943914e0c6e547572b01c50f9.jpg

For extra wifey points I made sure to get his little perfectly absolutely not melted BBQ scrubber from the drawer and scrub the BBQ before use.... and ummm.. then after. 

Sh!t. 

20200429_190801.thumb.jpg.3476fb156cd3aeddaf7fd7d5ba6ce853.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

Beef Tendon Rice dish

49830988516_22fa6a8347_b.jpg

Finished Beef Tendon Dish-- Teriyaki/beef stock/Gochujang/coriander stem// Gelatinous wonder--I parboiled and changed water 3 times on the tendon, then pressure cooked 1.5 hrs. I served this over a medium grain rice

• Like 9

Its good to have Morels

Beans with chipotle, onion, galic, coriander seeds, cumin. Cheddar, pickled chilies. "Spanish rice" with pepper, onion, tomatoes, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, aniseed. Sour cream, avocado.

IMG_20200424_152514_1.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.