• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

too bad no scrapple for you .

someithing to look forward to explore in the future 

Thanks ! I am aware of scrapple, but I do prefer the less „streched“ (e.g. without oatmeal or other carbs) version called Weckewerk, that is native to the area where I originally hail from ...

Scrapple is tasty, nonetheless 🤗

• Like 1

@Duvel  

nice .  I haven't had it   Ill look forward to it some day 

"the sausage is stretched with stale bread,  "

well  OK 

maybe  

cornmeal is a bit nice  

but id to try the both at the same time

Im sure many cultures stretch  pork ' did-bits '  

w bread , oatmeal , cornbread  

to âme a tasty loaf.

Im sure Id love them all

• Like 3

@Kim Shook @BKEats, I agree.  For me the thought of sweet potato fries always exceeds the execution. The best they get is crisp-ish and rarely brown. Cinnamon and salt help them out a little.

But as you say, processing tricks might fix this. McD has a multistep process involving precook and freezing to get their pretty decent FFs.  Potatoes are easier, clearly, to FF than SPs, but maybe SPs need a process to fix them for frying.

• Like 1

Took advantage of my supermarket visit to pick up a package of shredded rotisserie chicken breast. Had one sad bag of chopped salad mix left from last week, added the chicken and some fresh radishes, called it a day.

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@kayb – now I want chicken spaghetti.  But, like Child A, no peas and carrots.  Actually the only vegetables allowed will be mild Rotel tomatoes, mirepoix, and garlic.  And maybe some Durkees on top! 😁

@Margaret Pilgrim – that pizza looks and sounds delicious.  I love white pizza.

@BKEats – I mostly agree with you about sweet potato fries.  I find, oddly enough, that they are one of those few foods that are better processed than fresh.  I never ate them until a friend served them and I ate them to be polite.  I was shocked that I actually quite liked them.  It turned out that they were Alexia brand frozen ones.  Not saying you’ll feel the same, but it’s a funny thing.

@robirdstx – those egg rolls look perfect.  You and @Shelby and your gorgeous egg rolls.  The last time I tried to make them it was a disaster.  I rolled them too loose and they were terrible.  It was years ago and I’d probably do a better job now.  The two of you have inspired me. 

@Shelby – I love all kinds of food, but that plate of ribs, mac n’ cheese, and collards is, to me, the most perfect plate of food ever!

Dinner last night – broiled ham slice:

IMG_1939.jpg.41f8a627e70af7502dccf7948799cdbe.jpg

Served with a brioche bun, sweet potato souffle, slaw, green beans, and applesauce:

IMG_1940.jpg.f9c6d1f466d7ed6b5cddf797f928a391.jpg

Quick question - I have a couple of these ham steaks from Father's Hams, in Kentucky. Never cooked them before (these times are bringing a lot of firsts!).  The other stuff I've used from Farmer's (bacon, smoked hocks) is majorly salty/smoky. Like majorly.

Do you have to do anything first before you broil them? Like blanch? Or do you just broil them as is? They look so fucking juicy.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Quick question - I have a couple of these ham steaks from Father's Hams, in Kentucky. Never cooked them before (these times are bringing a lot of firsts!).  The other stuff I've used from Farmer's (bacon, smoked hocks) is majorly salty/smoky. Like majorly.

Do you have to do anything first before you broil them? Like blanch? Or do you just broil them as is? They look so fucking juicy.

These are "city" ham slices, so not a ton of salt or smoke.  But, yes, very juicy.  That's exactly why it is sitting on a paper towel - the pan that I broiled it in was about 1/2 inch deep in juices.  I had some sauce in the freezer that was left over from the last time I made ham - equal amounts of brown sugar, maple syrup, and pineapple juice.  I just brushed it with that and broiled it on the top rack until it bubbled and glistened.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Halibut Fish and Chips tonight.

For a while at my restaurant we offered "millionaire fish and chips" which was one piece salmon, one piece halibut and one lobster tail. It was kind of a joke, but it was popular.

We also decided we'd try to do the sandwich equivalent of a trucker/farmer/lumberjack breakfast. It had three eggs, six slices of bacon or two sausage patties, a hash-brown patty, and two slices of cheese. We called it "the Big Eggerooski," as a hat-tip to The Big Lebowski. Amusingly, we had a regular who ordered it several times a week but could not bring himself to use the silly name we'd given it ('...an' one o' them big breakfast sandwiches..."). My late wife immediately, and gleefully, dubbed it "the sandwich that dare not speak its name." :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

25 minutes ago, Duvel said:

... and a loooot of imagination 😜

Masala04192020.png

Masala.

Bread04232020.png

Bread.

Beans

https://www.ranchogordo.com/products/santa-maria-pinquito-bean

If you're not old enough to know what a cabbage looks like I cannot help you.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

These are "city" ham slices, so not a ton of salt or smoke.  But, yes, very juicy.  That's exactly why it is sitting on a paper towel - the pan that I broiled it in was about 1/2 inch deep in juices.  I had some sauce in the freezer that was left over from the last time I made ham - equal amounts of brown sugar, maple syrup, and pineapple juice.  I just brushed it with that and broiled it on the top rack until it bubbled and glistened.  

Ahhh - my guess is that the ham slices I have are more "country."

This is what I bought - https://fatherscountryhams.com/collections/uncooked-country-hams/products/fathers-center-end-sliced-country-ham-1-1-4-lb-pkg-ce

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

this is a very similar dinner to the one I posted a few days ago :

Pasta // Peas // Country Bacon ends

no Mise this time as its the same , but sub'd in Country Ham Seasoning Pieces from BroadBent 

currently on sale ;

https://www.broadbenthams.com/Seasoning-Meats/products/82/

H1.thumb.jpg.ae6b82c4008be8b48346c1256b513451.jpg

H2.thumb.jpg.9acecd3332663674d948f4575633fcad.jpg

I took off the labels on these three packs , the second pic is the same packs flipped over so you can get the idea what's in them

the one on the L and center one is # 840 :   2 lbs Country Ham Pieces  //  pack.   2 packs regular price :  $  16.90 , sale $ 14.37

sale = $ 3.59 // lbs.    

on a previous order , the 2-lbs packs looked like the one on the L.  a current order looks like the middle one.  note some significant fat

and skin differences .

the pack on the R is the # 840 :  Premium country ham pieces , very little skin , and fat compared to  the pack on the L

regular price :  $ 22.90  and sale price $ 18.32  for 4 lbs  = $ 4.58 / lbs sale price

I decided to use some ham from the middle pack :

H3.jpg.d2442dcabf5668793c12718e2c6a3946.jpg

I trimmed the little bit of skin off , mostly the upper L piece .   the upper R and lower  piece were mush darker and dryer

then the two others .   Im guessing these were trimmings from a ham in the exposed meat surface  that used to connect to the

Pig itself.   its possible that the two types of ham had different tastes , but im guessing it was mostly texture 

I diced the 4 pieces up :

H34.thumb.jpg.212eff961067cd7b94b05325b680eac5.jpg

darker , dryer on the top R.   these little buggers are slippery !

I then soaked the whole bunch in cold water for 20 ++  minutes , not really by the clock.

I tasted the pieces raw after the soak  and a lot of the salt had gone into solution and the drier pieces were softer.

still a lot of ' country ham ' flavor left.

for some , the country ham flavor might be an " acquired taste "   

I added the drained lot  raw to the finished hot pasta , after the beaten egg addition :

1878062627_Hamdinner.thumb.jpg.a82c555323a9e8bbfc77144ccab8ec3c.jpg

note the color change in the ham after the water soak.

as commercial bacon does not taste like commercial ham    country bacon does not taste like country ham.

the CH  has a pronounced flavor that you may like or not like.   I like it , esp after soaking and desalting.

this is a very different dish to the similar one w country bacon.  the bacon for that dish was cooked.

the ham here was not.   I cant really say if the flavor is "  Prosciutto Dice "  

the dice were tender and very flavorful.

Ill make this dish many many times w the ham seasoning hunks i now have from

BroadBent.

puts Chef-Boy-Are-Dee  to shame 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

This is what I bought - https://fatherscountryhams.com/collections/uncooked-country-hams/products/fathers-center-end-sliced-country-ham-1-1-4-lb-pkg-ce

Yes. And it will want some soaking. I love country ham steaks soaked in apple juice and then fried. For a center cut slice, assuming it's around a half-inch thick, I'd probably go with a 2-3 hour soak. Then dry and fry.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 4/24/2020 at 10:44 AM, TdeV said:

Oh, that looks so good! Recipe please?

It is super simple.  Just bread the eggplant and chicken in flour followed by beaten egg then seasoned breadcrumbs.  Then slick olive oil on a baking sheet and bake the eggplant at 400 for 20 minutes a side.  The chicken gets sauteed in olive oil until browned.  Then a thin layer of marinara in two baking dishes, top with eggplant and chicken, put fresh mozzarella on top and bake until the cheese is melted.  I don't put a lot of sauce on the chicken and eggplant so that it stays crispy.  Most of the sauce goes on the pasta.

Pizza Friday last night.  Pepperoni

1637798275_pepperonipizza.thumb.jpg.de33fe56a62fabc9871a4945bfe5c1d7.jpg

Leftover eggplant parmesan pizza

1259551422_eggplantpizza.thumb.jpg.b5b6d0f6ffccae0bb5fad08f4c3d0aa5.jpg

Carbonara

1226023225_carbonarapizza.thumb.jpg.3b3214d3a4dab5f361dfd8ff12bfd8c9.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 4

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

That is definitely a country ham slice, I think.  I would slice off a tiny sliver and test the saltiness.  If it is ok, I'd just cook it low and slow with a little glaze or brown sugar on it - covered or it will dry out.  If it is very salty, I'd simmer in water for a few minutes, then continue with frying.  

• Like 3