• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

14 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Not yet, but here's the link to the recipe online.

Kim, FYI...that link in your post was for the bun recipe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Diner would've had peas.

I hate peas.

Amen to that! I also despise the little green balls of despair. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Tilapia again (IQF fillets) well seasoned and sprinkled a mix of panko and dukkah on top before baking. Instant mushroom flavor couscous, salad. Tilapia is tolerable with enough seasoning and crunchy crumbs.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Still have ice floes in the backyard, so I am making good use of the Starfrit stove top grill pan.

Grilled burgers and vegetables

1557380150_BurgerVegGrill1092.jpg.ef3c0244599eadea769092bfa4190ad5.jpg

Had scored a 10-rib crown of pork with a $5.00 off a $25.00 chunk of meat. Cut the whole thing into 2 rib portions, seasoned and added fresh thyme or rosemary , then sealed with the FoodSaver. Got 5 meals out of the crown. SV one package, then grilled - tender and juicy.

430168434_SousVideGrilledporkchop1112.jpg.4a5adc384899df2585e67f06a0d472c2.jpg

687094957_SousVideGrilledPorkChop1110.jpg.1adf002f7a4a43c5ee4b45238514cf1f.jpg

Still enjoying the Konjac noodles from my keto days. The Fettuccini ones are great as faux Ho Fun, with beef and beansprouts

6007_ShiratakiHoFun1100.jpg.ae220e081219c7e30fcc093744e6e5fd.jpg

Made Beer battered Fish'n'Chips again, in the Ninja Foodie Air fryer. Gilco Curry Gravy is the usual sauce for the fries and Malt Vinegar for the fish

921829313_FishnChips1116.jpg.7dd116ca5a8ccf14a1f8380cf91877bd.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Getting rid of all the stuff in my MIL fridge that is about to go bad.. I made a chicken curry.. Browned chicken, added onions and ginger, curry that happened to be in my glove box, next to my ravioli dowel.  Added tomatoes, some yogurt at the end and some garam masala.  Unfortunately, or whatever, i thought I turned off the one burner where the chicken is after i added the yogurt but, i hadn't and the sauce broke.. Still delicious.. 

49807983021_1a7bfa24f5_z.jpg

49807428343_7010531bc9_z.jpg

Then I made fried rice with the last of the spareribs, carrots, egg, onion, garlic, scallion, ginger, soy and the last of the hoison sauce 

49807429048_75ed9d62d8_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Ham that I vacuum sealed after New Year's Day and stored in the standing freezer, mashed potatoes, cauliflower gratin, spinach, and the purple stuff in the back that looks like beets is actually a deep purple variety of carrot that I got in my delivery from a local farm stand.  It took a lot of persuasion to get my nephew to eat them.  My sister and I don't eat ham so we just ate the vegetables.

ham2.thumb.jpg.ea2c965f1945f8958a1be8993a3897eb.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

I ran across an online store that had cheese curds.  I love cheese curds so I ordered some and also got some bologna

thumbnail_IMG_7710.jpg.590c6cad050ac435c4640cdbe116cb29.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7709.jpg.c902224439e566070e537885caa2679c.jpg

Excuse the poor slicing.  Good bologna.  Has a hint of smoke.  So we had sandwiches again.

thumbnail_IMG_7714.jpg.07f3ded36ed3ec407b0610a60a452b08.jpg

• Like 9

mise :

DSC08172.thumb.jpg.c00cec2496e40963d9c78a8dbfe5038e.jpg

Fz peas , thawed in cold water , drained .  not cooked.

Pasta .   Broadbent bacon ends / seasoning meat , diced , cold water soak , drained    sautéed 

one egg ,   im fairly low on eggs , I would normally use 2 , beaten , added to hot cooked pasta and stirred 

Butter was omitted and EVOO was used.

Dinner :

DSC08177.thumb.jpg.c4fe91d76325a973a7855a167f9cdd31.jpg

there is a lot of bacon here , and I added all the bacon fat .   next time Ill add only 1/2  of the fat and save the rest

this is a 2 meal portion.   it was very very very good.   I liked the peas this way ;  snappy , not cooked from Fz.

didn't go downstairs to hunt for some Vac'd TJ's hard cheese .

next time.

I made this into An Event .  dry TJ's  white 

and the last 3 eps of Bosch Season 6 .

no worries , no spoilers .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

mise :

DSC08172.thumb.jpg.c00cec2496e40963d9c78a8dbfe5038e.jpg

Fz peas , thawed in cold water , drained .  not cooked.

Pasta .   Broadbent bacon ends / seasoning meat , diced , cold water soak , drained    sautéed 

one egg ,   im fairly low on eggs , I would normally use 2 , beaten , added to hot cooked pasta and stirred 

Butter was omitted and EVOO was used.

Dinner :

DSC08177.thumb.jpg.c4fe91d76325a973a7855a167f9cdd31.jpg

there is a lot of bacon here , and I added all the bacon fat .   next time Ill add only 1/2  and save the rest

this is a 2 meal portion.   it was very very very good.   I liked the peas this way ;  snappy , not cooked from Fz.

didn't go downstairs to hunt for some Vac'd TJ's hard cheese .

next time.

I made this into An Event .  dry TJ's  white 

and the last 3 eps of Bosch Season 6 .

no worries , no spoilers .

This looks delicious!!  How long did you soak the bacon?

I dice the bacon up l and soak in ice water when i remember , or just cold water

I want to keep the fat firm.

there is no fixed time .  I do give it a swirl once and again

15   --  20 min ?     still plenty of bacon and smoke flavor.   as its finely diced 

a lot of the salt must be in the water.   

Ive never tasted the water BTW.

works well for me.

Im making this same dish tomorrow 

but will be using died Broadbent's  Ham Seasonings Meat 

Ill remove the skin , keep a reasonably amount of fat on the Ham Hunks 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PS:  I save the hot drained pasta water and add some to the mixed final pasta 

then mix again , until I get a final consistent I enjoy.    the dish is not gummy at all that way.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Toliver said:

Kim, FYI...that link in your post was for the bun recipe.

Oops!  Thanks, @Toliver and sorry @Shelby!  This should be correct!  

@Shelby – that bologna looks scrumptious!  You gonna fry some of it???  And slather with BBQ sauce?  And slap it on some soft white bread?  Can you tell I’m due for a visit to Memphis? 😁

I made brioche sandwich rolls for the first time ever yesterday.  They turned out very well.  Really good rolls, ok brioche, if that makes sense.  I had some leftover London broil, which I heated up in some simmering broth.  Jessica made some excellent horseradish sauce.  So beef sandwiches:

IMG_1936.jpg.677115563a76c87c574425ddaea6753b.jpg

Served with green beans and fries. 

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 13

Beef stew made with tri-tip trimmings in the IP, with potatoes, carrots, onion, celery and peas, with a slice of rye from my new batch. Homemade non-dairy cherry ice cream for dessert.

rye4.jpg.9cd4fe87bb437aecb808b38c4bc01baa.jpg

stew-bread.jpg.ca6203b3454a73f70c4b345ed9cc86e7.jpg

cherry-ice-cream.jpg.2d63b5099fbfdfece8040bbf98642285.jpg

• Like 13

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@mgaretz 

your stews always look inviting and delicious.

once i can get a decently flavorful hunk of beef

ill review your posts and make the same thing in the iPot.

Ill probably not use celery , unless i can find one stalk and fish it out.

I do like celery flavor  , I dont like   3 x dead stalks.   I probably have some

dried celery leaves from Penzey's  , but they might be ancient 

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ill probably not use celery , unless i can find one stalk and fish it out.

The celery pretty much disappears, even when cut into large chunks.  I imagine if you dice it you'd never find it.  You could always substitute celery salt for the regular salt.

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

32 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Beef stew made with tri-tip trimmings in the IP, with potatoes, carrots, onion, celery and peas, with a slice of rye from my new batch. Homemade non-dairy cherry ice cream for dessert.

stew-bread.jpg.ca6203b3454a73f70c4b345ed9cc86e7.jpg

That stew (and the bread) look absolutely delicious!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, scamhi said:

a serious eats recipe for Greek zucchini fritters (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/04/kolokithokeftedes-greek-zucchini-fritters-with-tzatziki-recipe.html) with pan seared shrimp olive oil smoked paprika and salt. Sour cream since we have no yogurt for tzatziki. and Tempier rose

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_6901.JPG

I just figured it was u Suz..when I saw the Bandol...Nice

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels