• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

I've been shopping/cooking like others have been buying toilet paper.  I know I don't need that big a** can of Bush beans from Sam's but I can't help myself.  Thank God for a chamber vacuum sealer and an extra freezer.  Over the past few days we've had a lot of yummy baked beans, cajun potato salad, homemade tortilla chips (please get behind me Satan) and various grilled meats.  I'm also  riding the skirt steak  surge like others.  

IMG_20200420_120520724.thumb.jpg.90ed06f8f079c4bf9594560a773acddb.jpg

IMG_20200419_114114153_HDR.thumb.jpg.b5035128cf2ae797094a8f8cd7f11b1d.jpg

Tonight's attempt at  moderation was a compressed watermelon salad with feta.  It was so darn good after the "heavy' food binge of the past few days.

IMG_20200421_184603418.thumb.jpg.315c8225e757f3d072a1fd11cd05a038.jpg

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 2

Tri-tip steak, cooked SV then seared, served with guess what, broccolini and the rye bread pre-butter.  Money shot of the steak for @rotuts Last of the double-chocolate ice cream for dessert.  We're down to just a heel of the bread so more is fermenting now and I will likely make more ice cream tomorrow.  Don't know what flavor yet.

tt-steak-broc-2.jpg.65ac1b74b45bbbae2530fc44cddd30fc.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 7:53 PM, gfweb said:

Blanch in salted boiling water for about 90sec. Spin dry and roast at 375 convection in the Breville. Takes about 15 min or so. These could’ve been more browned, but it’s a fine line between just right and dried out. 

I tried using the steam oven without steam, but the oven seals so tight, they ended up steaming anyway. 

I did some tonight.  Not having a Breville I roasted in the big oven.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Stir fried green beans and onion, peanuts. Garlic, ginger, chili, douchi, toasted peppercorn, soy sauce, a hint of five spice, a bit of zha cai.

Stir fried cabbage and eggs, with doufuru, garlic, chili, toasted sesame seeds, sesame oil, light soy sauce, a hint of fennel seeds.

IMG_20200416_214249_1.jpg

IMG_20200416_214411.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

A leftover faux duck confit leg or two, and the next thing you know...

2058108870_DuckraguchitarraIMG_0681.jpeg.a77dbedc8e34456dc6151d6168a4431d.jpeg

What would be called Bigoli con L'anatra had I used bigoli, but I didn't have bigoli, and wasn't about to make bigoli. So instead, Chitarra con L'anatra. The ragu is made with shredded duck, white wine, tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, etc.  Some recipes call for only the use of tomato paste; here, I used both tomato paste and half a can of San Marzanos I had left in the fridge. Worked fine. Delicious.

On the side, roasted mushrooms...

684821189_Mushroomsrosted2020-04-14IMG_0585.jpeg.630110641d8daa2030a306825940aa66.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 hours ago, TdeV said:

Oh delicious, Steve 8). Are those gorgeous bacon wrapped things chicken drumsticks?

Thanks, yes those are deboned drumsticks stuffed with toulouse sausage.  I'll include a couple of pictures during prep.  After stuffing I always wrap each drumstick with plastic film to hold the bacon in place prior to slipping into the vacuum bag.  The bagging ensures good adhesion of the bacon and overall appearance.  The next day they are ready for the grill or SV bath. 

IMG_20200419_101219256.thumb.jpg.fac51640003533575209f906c720ae60.jpg 

IMG_20200419_100943175.thumb.jpg.98bf3a2488d7defeea6133132a2d550b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

I brought up a ton of food to my inlaws..  In addition to the meat I mentioned, 5 lbs of flank, 5 lbs of pork chops, dry aged ribeyes, ribs and chickens, I brought up ricotta cheese, assorted cheese, sour cream, tortillas, cabbage, ginger, garlic and assorted groceries for my daughter.  And well, i feel like I haven't yet to wear out my welcome not to mention, I have been cooking every meal and still haven't eaten as much as I brought... Last night, I made pork chops with this spaghetti squash casserole.. My mother in law handed me a 6 lb spaghetti squash.. She didn't want it to go to waste and well, i have limited experience with spaghetti squash.. I am happy i cooked with it because, it's super easy to work with and rather versatile.  So, after perusing the interwebs, there wasn't anything too exciting.. It all seemed like ways to shoe horn the squash into being this faux healthy pasta alternative.. Like, spaghetti squash bolognese or something like that..  Then I was thinking, oh, let's just make a ravioli filling with it.  But, i felt like the stringiness would be lost.. Anyway, I had ricotta cheese so, I typed in spaghetti squash and ricotta.   Rachel Ray's recipe popped up.. I had exactly three cups of ricotta, i had exactly a pound of mozzarella, I had exactly a pound of spinach.  The stars aligned.. 

I must say, I rarely follow recipes.. I love to read them but, never even considered reading or using something from Rachel Ray.. But, as I read this recipe, all the boxes checked off.. It was essentially spinached mixed with ricotta, crack and egg in, add parm, garlic, nutmeg, add cooked spaghetti squash, place in a casserole dish and topped with mozarella.. It was so simple, maybe 20 minutes of prep and less than 1.5 hours of cooking.   

At this point, you have spinach, parm and ricotta.. I could have done many different familiar things with that, at this point. Lots of pasta ideas as I have been wanting to make cannelloni for a long time..  But, that didn't help my spaghetti squash issue..  Rachel leaves the seasoning up to you.. She suggests 2 cloves of garlic, I went closer to 6.. I used two whole nutmegs and a punch of salt and a shot of lemon... 

49804849573_d694599514_z.jpg

The results were wonderful.. The ricotta was really light.. It was not as creamy and unhealthy as I expected.. I mean, 3 cups of ricotta mixed in with a 7 pounds of vegetables essentially.. If this was paula dean, there would have been cream cheese and heavy cream or a bechamel or maybe three pounds of gruyere or swiss or all of it with some bacon.. But, it was actually fairly light and healthy feeling..  The five of us, didn't even eat 25 percent of the pan... 

Served with bone in pork chops and apple sauce. 

I would 100 percent make this again.. But, I would also use this as a hot dip, if I wasn't leaving tomorrow morning, I would make this into a pizza topping, or a calzone, this would be an excellent lasagna, cannelloni, or a few other things.. Even perfect on a thanksgiving table. 

Anyway, sorry for all the mean things I may have said about rachel ray in my youth..  

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

I made serious eats chinese spareribs recipe.. I made them twice so far.. Once at home with baby backs, once for my father in law.. I figured he would love these.. Pretty easy recipe, the hard part is that it takes three days to marinade.   Shaoxing wine, hoison, five spice, honey,  soy sauce and thats about it...  Cook covered and then reapply marinade and blast... They are delicious.. Served with rice and bok choy.. The bok choy was ginger, chinese vinegar, soy and oyster sauce.  

49804815043_531e971069_z.jpg

Ginger and garlic too:

49805370671_4e4c287b39_z.jpg

I made an extra cup of rice for fried rice for today.. 

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Venison spaghetti red with canned tamales.  I found a couple cans so I can still have @Kim Shook's tamale pie

IMG_7700.JPG.f12951d535f8dea227895f19c0424ee3.JPG

Crawfish boudin with garden asparagus, fried potatoes, bit of tomato salad and hollandaise.

thumbnail_IMG_7701.jpg.627b61e83affe9fd95608e4036c37bcf.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7702.jpg.ea563a1e493cbc8a7db9780e7e23315d.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

We had ground chicken lettuce cups with shiitake, yellow paper a few green peas, scallions, ginger and water chestnuts.

sauce was a soy, hoisin, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar mixture. Topped with sriacha and szechuan chili crisp.  To drink a namazake from Shichi Hon Yari

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

Edited by scamhi (log)
  • Like 13

All prepped for John's dinner when we get home from the field(checking bluebird boxes for activity).

Julienned red peppers, carrots, water chestnuts and onions.  Lo mein sauce (Rachael Ray recipe that is quite good and not too spicy for John).  Lo mein noodles.  Sauteed shrimp to go on John's; vegetarian for me.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

6 hours ago, BKEats said:

It was essentially spinached mixed with ricotta, crack and egg in, add parm, garlic, nutmeg, add cooked spaghetti squash, place in a casserole dish and topped with mozarella..

Anyway, sorry for all the mean things I may have said about rachel ray in my youth..  

That sounds like a comforting main course for me with a salad.  2 whole nutmegs?!

If you can get a copy of Kim Severson's  "Spoon Fed" she has a great chapter on RR. The other interviews are Marion Cunningham, Ruth Reichl, Alice Waters, Edna Lewis, Leah Chase and Marcella Hazan

• Like 2

Last night...

Dinner04222020.png

A steak I found undated, unlabeled in the freezer.  I grilled it from frozen on the A4Box.  The A4Box made a perfectly tasty steak.  However it covered me, the stove, the floor with grease.  I don't think the Philips will be replaced.  On the plus side the kitchen still smells like steak.

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

49 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night...

Dinner04222020.png

A steak I found undated, unlabeled in the freezer.  I grilled it from frozen on the A4Box.  The A4Box made a perfectly tasty steak.  However it covered me, the stove, the floor with grease.  I don't think the Philips will be replaced.  On the plus side the kitchen still smells like steak.

I love me some steak smell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last night - So, a bunch of you have been making delicious looking flank steaks.  I couldn’t find flank at the store but did find a nice London broil.  The recipe I used called for it to be broiled only, but when the crust was perfect, it was only 90F.  So, I turned the oven to 425F and roasted it until it reached 130F:

IMG_1922.jpg.194b5c045e70535828eaa42cf414859b.jpg

IMG_1924.thumb.jpg.b4ee1febe1a3fa74047bf3fa9a173746.jpg

I think that this could be done SV very well.  It was delicious, but a little chewy and that would help make it more tender. 

Herb butter:

IMG_1923.jpg.1f6df8c1f213f6652f23fff3dcc5cffb.jpg

Served with long grain and wild rice, butter beans, and sweet potato souffle:

IMG_1925.jpg.9380c41e61d709b53889cd3786556359.jpg

Souffle and some ATK sandwich bread:

IMG_1921.jpg.a41b1125a65219863717570628bc6442.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1