• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

On 4/14/2020 at 10:22 AM, TdeV said:

My friend is bringing me some fresh ramps. Other than Momofuku (no kewpie mayo), what should I do with them?

I managed to sprout ramps in my garden but the slugs are attacking :(

22 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

I don't want to sound overly dramatic but the fennel soup was simple but sublime.  Fennel, along with celeriac,  are a couple of ingredients that are rarer than  hen's teeth on menu's in the deep south.  I've been pretty resourceful in incorporating celeriac into various dishes but fennel has certainly lagged.  BKEats piqued my interest with fennel pesto last week so I incorporated fennel  it into a light soup.  The soup base was a puree of fennel, onion and chicken stock.  The soup was finished with diced potatoes, cauliflower and fennel fronds.

P1070192.thumb.jpg.96e01972dd48b42b969a12a75915bd32.jpg 

Celery root / celeriac is one of my "comfort" growing up foods.  Have you ever had it fresh from the garden?  Very different than the store, where it can sometimes be a crapshoot as far as age / stringiness.  My family also has an interesting vegetarian soup/stew that uses fennel fronds or dill and zuccini squash in a light broth and a touch of sour cream / creme fraisch.

Edited by jedovaty (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

On 4/14/2020 at 3:34 AM, jedovaty said:

I thought I was the only one who liked the rice from the bottom of the pot, at least, amongst my family and friends.  And same, this is a fantastic idea I will now probably do with rice, woohoo! 

There is an ancient culture that elevates, celebrates, and reveres it   - Persian tahdig

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jedovaty said:

Celery root / celeriac is one of my "comfort" growing up foods.  Have you ever had it fresh from the garden?  Very different than the store, where it can sometimes be a crapshoot as far as age / stringiness.  My family also has an interesting vegetarian soup/stew that uses fennel fronds or dill and zuccini squash in a light broth and a touch of sour cream / creme fraisch.

Tell us more, please!

Made some char siu with the rest of the pork but/shoulder (cheating by using boneless "country style" ribs), mainly baked at 350F but "air fried" in the BSOA at 400F for the last 10 minutes or so.  Straight out of the oven, one of them sliced and plated with broccolini and my bread, lightly toasted.  

char-siu-strips.jpg.7e0921aa584bfd07c16bfcb4ab9072bc.jpg

char-siu-sliced.thumb.jpg.8540bbc31ad3b60b5018a2bb256d1481.jpg

char-siu-plated.jpg.b068e4998889d252075150f1b43cc25a.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Hanger steaks grilled over charcoal. Roasted fennel top with a little grated parmesan. and a homemade salsa verde - parsley, mint, 1 small garlic clove, 1/2 a large jalapeño, white vinegar and olive oil. And a great Gattinara

IMG_6982.JPG

IMG_9141.JPG

Edited by scamhi (log)
  • Like 19
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, jedovaty said:

I too consider celery root a comfort food. My mother didn't have a lot of tricks when it came to cooking, nor did she have many parties when we we were growing up, but her one party trick was celery root remoulade. She wasn't a very good cook, but that one she had down.

Fennel is a staple for us. I often sub it for celery in various soups. And it is my go-to easy salad, just paper thin slices with a little olive oil, lemon and salt and pepper. Radishes if I have some, which I usually don't.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Fennel is a staple for us. I often sub it for celery in various soups. And it is my go-to easy salad, just paper thin slices with a little olive oil, lemon and salt and pepper. Radishes if I have some, which I usually don't.

Interesting.. I never thought to sub it for celery, but that makes sense.  I had an ex-gf that had an allergy to onions, and we learned fennel made a great substitute for it.  My mom and I learned to use it in braised cabbage, and other dishes.  Good stuff.  It's definitely an underrated vege :) 

11 hours ago, TdeV said:

Tell us more, please!

It's really easy.. here's my mom's version: saute onion with salt, caraway seeds.  Add flour to begin a roux, then add shredded/grated squash* and a little water (or milk or cream).  When soft, stir in chopped dill or fennel fronds, pepper, and sour cream or creme fraische :) -- oh oh, edit: and/or lemon!

This can be a meal on its own, or a side to goulas/stew.  We call it tekvicový prívarok or tekvicova omáčka.  Look up hungarian or slovak squash with dill. My mom's version is runnier/soupier.  I hated it as a kid because of dill.. but now, apparently I'm an adult, because I really enjoy this.

* the best squash for this is a european summer type, they are white and about the size of two forearms put together.  Also called marrow.  I don't see them in stores, maybe more central-european dense areas (chicago, NY) might have them in markets.  Mom grows them in her garden, sadly last year's seeds didn't sprout.  I'd like to find some replacement seeds but haven't had luck.  It may be alba cucurbita pepo.. that certainly looks like it.  Sorry to ramble.

Edited by jedovaty
added lemon to recipe (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was craving british junk food last night but I threw out my 9 year old garam masala and curry spices last month.  Instead, čabajska sausage seasoning (caraway, no cumin) and coconut milk in the sauce.  Very... unique.. fusion food.  Chicken Tikka WTFasala. 😁

chicken tikka wtfasala.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 4

Made Alkaline Noodles today.. I essentially baked baking soda for an hour.. I followed this blog https://gingerandscotch.com/baked-baking-soda-alkaline-noodles/

49782085846_84a12c56f1_z.jpg

mixed with water and tossed in with the noodles. 

It was essentially like making a pasta dough. Except you add this alkaline water.  ran it out to a 6.. cut with spaghetti cutter. I have dough left that I will hand cut. 

49781157148_5a33ab9766_z.jpg

To try them out I made this sichuan sauce.. amazing.. Delicious, chewy, just so good.

49781883666_b4ea6b5d51_z.jpg

then I decided to go just straight up sesame paste, sesame oil, peanut butter, sugar, hoison, soy, sriracha, vinegar, ginger and garlic. 

49781883671_75cdbbc537_z.jpg

then I made lo mein.  beef.. this was my initial intention but, well, the noodles were so good and I wanted to try different dishes.. I have some left where I want to make just a traditional garlicky thin brown sauce that is served at the end of meals.. 

Lo mein:

49781343968_debde6a082_z.jpg

Beef:

Beef goes in, gets browned and removed.. Then vegetables are cooked briefly and taken out.. Then the noodles go in and are cooked in oil for a few.. then you throw in some ginger and garlic, then beef and veg.. then I poured a sauce in the mixture and cooked together for a few.. 

49781547628_fc1feb449f_z.jpg

This was so good.. Miss A asked me where I bought the noodles.  No time to spare,  or take a pretty shot, you eat the noddles while they are hot

49782412147_1d350253df_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 20
  • Delicious 5

26 minutes ago, Dante said:

Last night's dinner- beef debris over potato wedges with brown sauce.

20200415_195234.jpg

Can you describe this more.. I don't know what beef debris is exactly.. It's cooked down some cut of beef and then a pan gravy. Is there dominate flavor or seasoning.    I've heard of this I think in Rochester?  Is it a sandwich?  Is it normally on mashed potatoes, fries, or wedges  or all of the above in addition to rice,  pasta or garlic bread. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BKEats said:

Made Alkaline Noodles today.. I essentially baked baking soda for an hour.. I followed this blog https://gingerandscotch.com/baked-baking-soda-alkaline-noodles/

49782085846_84a12c56f1_z.jpg

mixed with water and tossed in with the noodles. 

It was essentially like making a pasta dough. Except you add this alkaline water.  ran it out to a 6.. cut with spaghetti cutter. I have dough left that I will hand cut. 

49781157148_5a33ab9766_z.jpg

To try them out I made this sichuan sauce.. amazing.. Delicious, chewy, just so good.

then I decided to go just straight up sesame paste, sesame oil, peanut butter, sugar, hoison, soy, sriracha, vinegar, ginger and garlic. 

then I made lo mein.  beef.. this was my initial intention but, well, the noodles were so good and I wanted to try different dishes.. I have some left where I want to make just a traditional garlicky thin brown sauce that is served at the end of meals.. 

Lo mein:

49781343968_debde6a082_z.jpg

Beef:

Beef goes in, gets browned and removed.. Then vegetables are cooked briefly and taken out.. Then the noodles go in and are cooked in oil for a few.. then you throw in some ginger and garlic, then beef and veg.. then I poured a sauce in the mixture and cooked together for a few.. 

49781547628_fc1feb449f_z.jpg

This was so good.. Miss A asked me where I bought the noodles.  No time to spare,  or take a pretty shot, you eat the noddles while they are hot

49782412147_1d350253df_z.jpg

Thank you for that.  I finally found some Koon Chun Potassium Carbonate and sodium di-carbonate solution so will try these...we love those noodles and I think they would be great cut thick on my Chitarra pasta thingie that produces square noodles.  But I will try the #6 first...that sounds quite thin but I see in the last dish posted they look thin.

cheers.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

Baked tilapia filet...put some horseradish on the flesh before sprinkling some seasoned panko crumbs (mixed with a little oil) on top. That fish is so bland, it really needs seasoning and texture. Salad. Spanish flavor “Right Rice” which is made from veg flours.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, BKEats said:

Can you describe this more.. I don't know what beef debris is exactly.. It's cooked down some cut of beef and then a pan gravy. Is there dominate flavor or seasoning.    I've heard of this I think in Rochester?  Is it a sandwich?  Is it normally on mashed potatoes, fries, or wedges  or all of the above in addition to rice,  pasta or garlic bread. 

Go to New Orleans, and a "debris po'boy" is on most menus. Essentially, shredded pot roast in jus or brown gravy. 

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

. II went to six but, I would say, 5 or six on the kitchen aid is a good thickness.  I used the spaghetti cutting attachment but, next time, I would hand cut.  I feel like the ideal width is somewhere in between a spaghetti and a fettuccine.  I think this cut was perfect for cold noodles.. In fact, the sesame noodles at my favorite offering in Manhattan, is maybe a 7 or 8 thickness and they are using the fettuccine width. 

25065595422_44d2e7a235.jpg

And here are mine, i made a small serving as I couldnt resist. 

and here is the noodle with the peanut butter sesame paste. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

@BKEats If you plan on making these regularly and have room for a chitarra it will probably give you the dimensions you are looking for..the larger noodle on the chitarra is between spaghetti/linguine and you can make them as thick as you like...Roll to #4 for a nice dimension.  Of course it can be used with regular pasta!  

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

I was going to have game hens and cake for dinner but the hens didn't get thawed in time so we ordered take out from a Mexican restaurant.  A while back Charlie was watching a show where people who had never been to the USA were given typical food from here.  It was about people from Ireland tasting Southern food.  He brought me the recipe for Hummingbird Cake and said it looked really good.  I don't generally have the patience to stack and ice cakes, and I didn't do a photogenic job on this one but took pictures anyway.  The recipe asked for three cake pans the same size. I had two the same size and one smaller so it came out sort of domed shaped.  We both thought it was good but I won't make it again unless I get a request for it.

20200416_160934.jpg

20200416_185303.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Stilly trying to support local restaurants, so we ordered out from a poke place.

20200416_181237.thumb.jpg.9f58120e74781e0ee3864166c43c2ce2.jpg

Unfortunately not terribly good poke.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 4
  • Sad 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com