• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@liamsaunt – that is a lovely coating that you got on that oven-cooked fish.  I would do a LOT more oven frying if my coatings looked like that.  Also – going back to the chicken that you made for your sister and you.  How was that cooked?  I love the all over color of it. 

The recipe is from Fine Cooking.  Here it is: Lemon rosemary balsamic roast chicken

I only made two breasts as neither of us eat much meat.  We shared one and did not finish it.  Leftover chicken and beef are being made into sandwiches for dinner tonight.

Last night, miso salmon with udon noodle soup with scallions, cilantro, and cress.  I also had shiitake mushrooms for the soup but added them after the picture as I cooked them separately (niece dislikes mushrooms) and forgot to add them to the adult portions until my sister reminded me.  

1057991793_misosalmon.thumb.jpg.97a2ca4049249f244a5393c85a0ac001.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Last night's dinner, simple and very late, because the plumber was still working under the sink.
Avocado, lime, cilantro, oo, garlic, sous vide sausage, pasta. The dish was designed to use fresh ramps which a friend brought over, but weren't used (because I forgot).

2020-04-14-192041_cropped.thumb.jpg.19dc589797807e8940bdd3bb27cf3036.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

We had a late lunch and not hungry for dinner.

380946770_HomemadeFudgeApril14th20204.thumb.jpg.f8dbd309fdd69df5889fc7e10e9ae197.jpg

So I made fudge.

1552589581_HomemadeFudgeApril14th20205.thumb.jpg.c8a181562d396c012fb781c8014e1ffc.jpg

Toasted Walnut Vanilla Fudge

Of course you weren't hungry for dinner!     Didn't you listen to your mother when she warned that afternoon candy would "ruin your dinner"?     Naughty, naughty.  

(Can supply mailing address if you want to banish some of that fudge from your house.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

eGullet member #80.

23 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Of course you weren't hungry for dinner!     Didn't you listen to your mother when she warned that afternoon candy would "ruin your dinner"?     Naughty, naughty.  

(Can supply mailing address if you want to banish some of that fudge from your house.)

@Margaret Pilgrim, this was "evening" fudge and made especially because we weren't having dinner.   😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Would your mama have bought this rationale?    "Since I didn't eat dinner, I think I'll just make/have a little fudge!"

Works for me, if not her.

@Margaret Pilgrim, my mom was not a good cook. And I'm being kind.  BUT, she made really good fudge. (and Bread and Butter Pudding) .  So

I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have a problem. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Times sure are weird.  Stores out of so many things, but I was able to order crawfish!  A major treat.  

Had a couple sinks full of these guys

IMG_7681.JPG.d33c7c6a005ff44a6170209ec4ca08a8.JPG

IMG_7683.jpg.8f46911f0bc591cfcdb8e9da928edd26.jpg

Spent a couple hours peeling the rest this morning.  Some went in the freezer and some in the fridge so I can fry 'em :)

IMG_7684.jpg.1ca037e99bceec7551923451df6109c2.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 20
  • Delicious 4

32 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Times sure are weird.  Stores out of so many things, but I was able to order crawfish!  A major treat.  

My NOLA soul is aching. Do post the dishes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heidih said:

My NOLA soul is aching. Do post the dishes.

I will do :) 

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

did you make stock , iPot or not from the shells ?

might hav e made the house a bit " Aromatique "  for days.

I didn't....they were pretty spicy ...in hindsight maybe I should have....

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

@Shelby those crawfish look beautiful!

They were so good.  Such a treat.  And frankly, it might make some faint, but I thought the price was really good (for where I live anyway).  Total of $106 for 20 lbs.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I will do :) 

I didn't....they were pretty spicy ...in hindsight maybe I should have....

They were so good.  Such a treat.  And frankly, it might make some faint, but I thought the price was really good (for where I live anyway).  Total of $106 for 20 lbs.

That's about the same price I'd pay when I got them... the vast majority of the cost is the shipping!!

• Like 1

this was our dinner last night. it included 2 small eggplants, one skinless boneless chicken breast, scallions and spicy fresno pepper and  soy sauce, sesame oil, hoisin, and a little cornstarch slurry

IMG_6487 2.JPG

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

Had a couple sinks full of these guys

IMG_7681.JPG.d33c7c6a005ff44a6170209ec4ca08a8.JPG

IMG_7683.jpg.8f46911f0bc591cfcdb8e9da928edd26.jpg

Spent a couple hours peeling the rest this morning.  Some went in the freezer and some in the fridge so I can fry 'em :)

IMG_7684.jpg.1ca037e99bceec7551923451df6109c2.jpg

The ultimate act of love.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.