• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

6 hours ago, heidih said:

Wow all those years of fighting the others for the crisp at bottom of rice pan and I never ever thought of this. Thank you!!!

I thought I was the only one who liked the rice from the bottom of the pot, at least, amongst my family and friends.  And same, this is a fantastic idea I will now probably do with rice, woohoo! 

• Like 2

Last nights dinner...eggplant/mushroom “meatballs” (after cooking half in that form, decided they worked better in patty form), sauteed chicken breast with tahini sauce/gravy (recipe found online, not the normal tahini sauce, too salty but has potential), peas. DH informed me that he isn’t crazy about peas, so another freezer staple veg is crossed off the list...

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I keep a bag of frozen peas at home usually.  It’s usually there to add a 1/4 handful into some rice dishes for color.  I’ve also made pea and mint pasta filling in spring dishes but, primarily I’m not a fan. When I see English folks serving full on plates of the stuff, it makes men wish I liked them more  

2 hours ago, BKEats said:

When I see English folks serving full on plates of the stuff, it makes men wish I liked them more  

Listen, if you want men to avoid liking you so much, quit feeding them such good food!

:laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 3:35 PM, TdeV said:
We delivered picnic plates and wine, one plate per person. From one participant "Thanks for a wonderful, multi-gastronomical, friend-friendly, wine-enhanced picnic-kinda Zoom event!!"

2020-04-10-203541cropped-2.thumb.jpg.07abe31cbda61cac853aa52feca5810b.jpg

From 12 o'clock going clockwise:
Edam Cheese from Artikaas, Holland
Petite Crème, cows' milk from Marin French Cheese, California, USA
Petit Basque, sheeps' milk from Pyrenees Mountains, Basque, France
Tangerine
Wigwam Ham from Edwards' Virginia Smokehouse
Veneto Salami Bedou (from St Louis, MO) 
Green and black olives
Pepperoncini
Bosc and Bartlett pear
Fig Almond Cake from Valencia, Spain
Membrillo Casero handmade Quince Paste from Valencia, Spain
Whole grain crackers
Effie's Pecan Nutcakes
Avocado

The pears and avocado were treated with lemon juice to slow browning. The avocado had olive oil as well.

2020-04-10-203301_002cropped.thumb.jpg.8f039bd6638a936aec95fd14dd3b10dc.jpg

The  2018 Roussanne was wonderful and paired well with the food, even though there were strong flavours, including acidic fruits and salty ham.

TruchardRoussanne_cropped.thumb.jpg.e9e06f782a79fa641619f7588c82f500.jpg

And the pièce de résistance, two Joseph Swan Zinfandels, old and new, from the same Zeigler vineyards. Yum, yum!

2020-04-11-104432_cropped.jpg.141d3588d799b27774344dced9860c55.jpg

Nice!   I don't have a photo but I made a charcouterie plate of various salumis I picked up from Salty Pork Bits, Chunks of Parma and Aged Gouda, Pickled Radishes (homemade) , Marcona Almonds, Crusty local bread and olive oil dip for the bread with rosemary, sea salt and cracked back pepper.    No pics however.  I always forget.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have been eating Ham Sammiches for 4 days now.   But last Friday I got a shipment of Scallops and Oysters from Harbor Fish Market in Portland, Me.  

The Oysters were Johns River and were absolutely incredible.  Off the charts fresh and juicy.  Do much "juice" I was able to make my favorite martini, the "Dirty Dirty Martini" which is a splash of tabasco, oyster liquor, vermouth and used a local Gin (Wigle).   

Then followed up the oysters with U10 scallops, tossed in a lemon crème sauce with linguine.

Johns River.jpeg

3d35dd0e623bddb3138e23e96754818d.jpeg

348s.jpg

Scallops.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

1 minute ago, TdeV said:

My friend is bringing me some fresh ramps. Other than Momofuku (no kewpie mayo), what should I do with them?

Momofuku calls for the ramps to be picked.  Pickling recipe is in Momofuku (the cookbook).  Amazon has kewpie in stock.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 minutes ago, TdeV said:

My friend is bringing me some fresh ramps. Other than Momofuku (no kewpie mayo), what should I do with them?

First and foremost, you are supposed to photograph them and put them on your IG..  Ramps are really strong.. I usually make a pesto, a butter, or pasta with them.. I made ramp, gnocchi last spring with chorizo that was really delicious.. I made a ramp ravioli with peas and ricotta last year... You can simple saute them but, i find them really strong.. Pickling is good too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

@CantCookStillTry – love Yorkies and Bisto.  That is my kind of meal!  It is what I was raised on.  When I was a little girl and my mom married my English stepdad, and I finally got sibliings (3 sisters) I discovered that British food suited my 9 year old palate quite well – roast meats, potatoes, Brussels sprouts (weird kid, I know), Yorkies and lashings of gravy on everything.  My mom never cooked a roast or a chicken big enough to make enough  real gravy to satisfy us, so Bisto stretched it out. 

@liamsaunt – that is a lovely coating that you got on that oven-cooked fish.  I would do a LOT more oven frying if my coatings looked like that.  Also – going back to the chicken that you made for your sister and you.  How was that cooked?  I love the all over color of it. 

The night before Easter was egg dyeing night and dinner was these:

IMG_1774.thumb.jpg.32396d0f52cc61a35d02038e930a12a1.jpg

IMG_1794.thumb.jpg.9e81a770977fd87af94745a14300917f.jpg

Along with pierogis and asparagus.

IMG_1801.jpg.26a7f560709c254c42b41aae75485277.jpg

IMG_1804.thumb.jpg.d3791404f592c11251da6068bc7b9e81.jpg

My plate with HP:

IMG_1808.jpg.8e3286392ff592da8daea41defacef8c.jpg

Dinner and egg dyeing came together when Jessica decided to dye some pierogis:

IMG_1802.thumb.jpg.f843aad3dcabfcbd3fda588a31e49d4b.jpg

LOL

Jessica came over and made some delicious muffins for brunch Easter morning.  The thing was that she was supposed to be here at 10AM to start them and didn’t get here until after 2pm.  We didn’t eat until almost 3:30. And we all had TWO while watching a kid’s Easter movie.  A coma commenced, Jessica went back to her apartment and we all napped.  I woke up around 7pm – too late to start the Easter dinner we had planned.  So Mr. Kim and I ended up in the Wendy’s parking lot eating cheeseburgers and then going to church to count any checks that had come in while we weren’t having services (except on FB) and doing the inventory for the St. Martin’s Project food (making lunches to take to homeless shelters), which we are still doing.  So we had Easter dinner on Monday!

Easter during the pandemic was definitely toned down.  We are trying to shop as little as possible and even when we do go to the store, we try to go in and get what we need and do the self check-out.  So, we planned a menu based on mainly what we had and shopped for the couple of things we needed.  The menuu:

Ham biscuits w/ sweet potato butter

@Marlene’s Broccoli Gratin w/ Streusel

Spiced peaches

Corn on the cob

Deviled eggs

Almond Joy Cake

Edwards’ Ham:

IMG_1834.jpg.151368de5991435f0d613db722da18ec.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg.8a6bbc5fe21ac041f737e573936668e3.jpg

Biscuits:

IMG_1844.jpg.b95a0c0e2ec9374461d654de00d256e6.jpg

They are Pillsbury frozen ones. I brushed with a butter/Worcestershire/Dijon mixture before baking. 

Sweet potato butter:

IMG_1840.jpg.20a4a274b03c08d4c00234a3af273c70.jpg

Broccoli Gratin:

IMG_1838.jpg.600d830fe3e3726f13f23a3d4aefaf34.jpg

Spiced peaches:

IMG_1837.jpg.9fdf77792cc69cde63676111fd7dd0c1.jpg

These were a Christmas gift from a friend (purchased, not homemade).

Jessica’s deviled eggs:

IMG_1842.jpg.8243e29b229703abb80d5efc9df3860e.jpg

Corn:

IMG_1843.jpg.dc81d7ecfbb775da2fa884ef0a3ab5cb.jpg

Plated:

IMG_1845.thumb.jpg.16c5c2dd4cd298680ae3b685333192a5.jpg

Dessert is not worth posting on the Sweets thread.  So just a casual mention here.  I did a Almond Joy Cake with cake mix and canned frosting:

IMG_1792.jpg.27a5cf3f8f267f584e3d62971eda2105.jpg

IMG_1846.thumb.jpg.5be72cd94a10721846de1608c60f59f8.jpg

I added a little coconut flavoring to the cake mix.  I am not opposed to cake mixes or canned frosting (true confessions time).  I use them sometimes, usually adding ingredients or “fixing them up” in some way.  But both the texture and flavor were “off” in this cake.  You can see all those big bubbles in the cake – it was a bit tough.  And it tasted very processed.  This was a Betty Crocker and I normally buy Duncan Hines.  I have no idea if that could have made such a difference. 

IMG_1839.jpg

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 19
  • Delicious 3

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

IMG_1804.thumb.jpg.d3791404f592c11251da6068bc7b9e81.jpg

The only thing missing is a blizzard of shredded Parmesan cheese melted on top. xD

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful holiday meal!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I saw this on Cook Like A Chef...a Canuck show.  Looks like it’s a keeper.

I used breakfast sausage because that is what I had.

https://beta.theloop.ca/food/recipes/stuffed-chicken-leg-cassoulet.html

edited...we just ate it...delicious.  I made it with a bit more liquid and served with warmed bread.

yum.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 4

I followed serious eats spare rib recipe.. Except I used baby back ribs, I subbed sugar for honey and I think that was it.. I marinated for three days.. I think the problem and it was not a big problem was that three days for spareribs might be slightly different than baby back. 2 days may have been enough and though the ribs were absolutely fantastic and everything I wanted, if I were to get super picky, which I always do, i would say they were slightly too brined.  But yeh, if I knew it would taste the way it did if I made it again, I would..   The 5 spice was a prominent flavor and well, star anise when its well balanced is a beautiful thing, 

49774727743_3805fdee84_z.jpg

Served with a simple jasmine rice with some sherry onions and an arugula salad with a dijon dressing. 

the best shot of the plate: 

49775256216_db41b8d443_z.jpg

49775206221_696f104982_z.jpg<a

49775590092_9f231ace00_z.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

I don't want to sound overly dramatic but the fennel soup was simple but sublime.  Fennel, along with celeriac,  are a couple of ingredients that are rarer than  hen's teeth on menu's in the deep south.  I've been pretty resourceful in incorporating celeriac into various dishes but fennel has certainly lagged.  BKEats piqued my interest with fennel pesto last week so I incorporated fennel  it into a light soup.  The soup base was a puree of fennel, onion and chicken stock.  The soup was finished with diced potatoes, cauliflower and fennel fronds.

P1070192.thumb.jpg.96e01972dd48b42b969a12a75915bd32.jpg 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

I don't want to sound overly dramatic but the fennel soup was simple but sublime.  Fennel, along with celeriac,  are a couple of ingredients that are rarer than  hen's teeth on menu's in the deep south.  I've been pretty resourceful in incorporating celeriac into various dishes but fennel has certainly lagged.  BKEats piqued my interest with fennel pesto last week so I incorporated fennel  it into a light soup.  The soup base was a puree of fennel, onion and chicken stock.  The soup was finished with diced potatoes, cauliflower and fennel fronds.

i tend to use wild fennel as it is a pervasive invasive in Southern California. No bulbs but fragrant greenery. I really like that anise/licorice flavor. I shall forage on the property tomorrow. Old image

fennel.JPG

• Like 9