• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Regarding tamales, they’re not popular in my region or if they are, I haven’t been introduced to them. And we have a sushi burrito place in town. 
  Aren’t they a filling wrapped in a corn or plantain husk, which is inedible? So do canned tamales differ and have edible husks? Otherwise how do they work in a casserole? Do you have to dig out the husk? What are they normally filled with? 

@MetsFan5 

real deal tamales are a corn-masa dough m that has a fill-in in it 

its placed on a dampened cork husk and folded and steamed.

you either unwrap the husk , or push the filling through the top and eat like a popsicle

Im sure the canned tamales are husk less.  the smooth side you see , is the masa dough

can't really see the filling .  which in this case might be a good thing

the filling would be more expensive than the Masa

I plan to make this at least once 

as soon as i can.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Kim Shook  I literally drooled.  I need that tamale pie.  Going to dig and see if I have any canned tamales, if not, they are going on the list.  I have to go sometime this week to get Ronnie's meds :( so might as will grab a few things at the store since I'm in there.

Blurry venison chili over spaghetti with some corn bread.  Bread looks white because I was too lazy to find my yellow cornmeal and the bag of white fell out of the cabinet first.

IMG_7645.jpg.3f10edfc2f7f0e904fdab718f4b3b8d6.jpg

IMG_7646.jpg.6508e100f7a5f3f68d41ef78a8d437da.jpg

A little tomato/canned artichoke heart/kalamata olive salad with lemon chicken, stuffing and bruss. sprouts

IMG_7647.JPG.e03bb0240905629fbef5389f86025177.JPG

IMG_7648.JPG.b917229e6ccb6c2b6c1b5cb01381d840.JPG

IMG_7649.JPG.6ea69220bfdc0273b520cf963328950b.JPG

Last night another salad and pepperoni and mushroom pizza

IMG_7653.jpg.0ef5456a4a261abe073c21ceb7272e53.jpg

IMG_7654.JPG.d1473beabb2b83254b2502543e3176cf.JPG

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Easy meal last evening. Jamaican patty with a side of marinated artichoke hearts.

43AD3D23-1DDC-4625-990B-E2C2C8E4F9B3.thumb.jpeg.83a4d077e948640de2ac61a1cc81af00.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

As every day bleeds into the next and there are no real defined meals, I am going to add this meal from yesterday as dinner.. It started late in the afternoon and well it was delicious.. I deboned a game hen.. Well, left the wings and the little nub at the end of the drum stick but, for the most part, deboned the bird.. I think marinated it in white wine, lemon, garlic and this piri piri ground pepper I purchased.. 

Through it on some vintage cast iron comal. 

49749926556_137608d1f2_z.jpg

49748468912_0360ed5ef3_z.jpg

Served with a fennel carrot salad.. the salad had my fennel simple syrup mixed with olive oil, lemon and a hit of dijon

49747943392_c4cfcab65d_z.jpg

A delicious meal... Well, I had half.. the addition of this pepper made all the difference.. i loved the spice, the simplicity of a perfectly cooked and marinated bird.. i am looking forward to eating this again.. i have two more birds in my freezer to last me another week... 

49747613871_8f0fa602b4_z.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

I made a Special Dinner yesterday.  Tuesdays are my new Special day :  BetterCallSaul day :

1505635094_ragudef.thumb.jpg.9c0363e36d76792cc548e2564eaa316a.jpg

previously made TurkeyRagu  , in the iPot , bricked and Fz.   here it is slowly thawing in a pan w a lid.  this version had

mushrooms and Broadbent bacon ends ( desalted ) in it .  powerful stuff.

Noodles.thumb.jpg.07c42a20583f1111c173549d5d1e8be1.jpg

Pasta  ( barilla Campanelle ) simmering in the Med. Saucier  .   I use just enough water to cover .  you just have to stir it

initially or it will stick together.  gives more concentrated pasta water for adding to the final dish .

Mise these days is not complicated :

Mise.thumb.jpg.0bc564317a513a7d82c329ea277149aa.jpg

window-grown green onion tops , I still have a few going strong.  and one beaten egg

the egg i like to mix in w the cooked pasta before adding the sauce.

PastaPan1.thumb.jpg.2127996ae010d9bc31ebe6edb766f1cf.jpg

ragu over the cooked and egged pasta 

Pastapan2.thumb.jpg.85b85731fb9e2a9b912ba8aaa86da88b.jpg

the shrubbery I had , green onions 

dinner.thumb.jpg.4c44811576bc421aaca9e5be238b656d.jpg

Pasta re-adjusted w hot pasta water I saved.   Dinner is served   en-potte.

this was soooo good , and enjoyed w a few glasses of TJ's table red.

I didn't have any hard cheese upstairs , but I think I have several vac'd hunks in FZ

this was a very special meal for me.   I spent several days looking forward to it , as Ill explain

in another thread.    

enjoyed   while watching  Better Caul Saul   S05E08     I got quite parched watching it.

TJ's Red was very helpful in that regard.

Ill be able to make this once a week for some time.   don't know how long the Shrubbrey will hold out.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 3

I add the beaten egg to the hot naked pasta first.

then the ragu over that

im not sure this is as noticeable in the final dish

as it would be on a simply pasta presentation were the sauce

were simpler :  wine reduction , carbonara etc

but Ill keep doing it as long as I have eggs

• Like 1

Lasagna for dinner

Dinner04082020.png

...served at 5:00 am.  What is time these days?  Ragu was from The Romagnolis' Table.  Assembly was in the school of Bugialli.

• Like 12

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Under the cloak of secrecy, we were invited at the neighbours for dinner and then disaster struck as they usually have very nice food but in these times of quarantine and social isolation,  they had to make do with sandwiches and salads......... from outside catering!

Nice table setting but sandwiches for Dinner???? Moi??????? Why?????????????????

gUxxO1B.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

58 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

Under the cloak of secrecy, we were invited at the neighbours for dinner and then disaster struck as they usually have very nice food but in these times of quarantine and social isolation,  they had to make do with sandwiches and salads......... from outside catering!

Nice table setting but sandwiches for Dinner???? Moi??????? Why?????????????????

gUxxO1B.jpg

That is a lot of food.  Must have been quite a crowd.  

• Like 2

Last night's dinner, inspired by @shain's post in the pizza toppings topic, pizza with apples, gorgonzola, and thyme (but I swapped out the tomato sauce for a bechamel)

20200407_192405.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

@MetsFan5 – I think that @rotuts pretty much covered the canned tamales.  These were from Hormel and each individual tamale is wrapped in some kind of paper.  We used to find them in jars, too.  They were very good, but they stopped making those some time ago.

@Shelby – loved the charred lemons on your chicken.  And I always forget about dressing as a side dish unless it is some big holiday.  I gotta do that more often!

@BKEats – I know your hen would be too spicy for me, but what a chubby little thing she was.  A veritable gordita!  So juicy looking. 

@rotuts – your pasta looks delicious.  And though I know it has a fungal element, I can’t see it, so maybe I’d eat it! 😃

@Ann_T – those meatballs are going on my “to make” list.  And that gravy looks incredible.

Dinner last night has an entire thread devoted to it - Meat Filled Cannelloni:

IMG_1759.jpg.4c95995c3f0c2e8698a9fdbd86a14236.jpg

Salad and whomp Crescent rolls:

IMG_1760.jpg.ac1b71ab5470981ecbc3ec90a75feaf9.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg.cdb8dae60cb82a5a331a5a9343f8ce8c.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Comfort Food dinner or What I Know How To Do in the Instant Pot:

Rancho Gordo beans (pinto) + leftover meat (roast chicken) + veg (leeks, chard, fennel) + IP stock (chicken)

The pinto beans were done with a carrot which turned to mush, and, this time, I mashed it and added it back to the pot.

Dessert was Instant Pot Banana Cheesecake from Weinstein and Scarbrough.

2020-04-08-190310_cropped.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Irby said:

I've been jonesing for a good cheeseburger so I took my first crack at brioche buns today using a recipe from the NYT.   The buns and burger, with a side of onion rings, hit the spot.

P1070167.thumb.jpg.71be56afd5463eab600be845541c0648.jpg

P1070169crp.thumb.jpg.853efa6ca4dab0027b623429519c4e74.jpg

Fantastic, Steve!  Those look like the kind of onion rings I love.  How are they coated?

• Like 2

OK    So we are stuck at home, time to make the best of it.  I am all for supporting the local places, and think it is our moral imperative to do so/   But it is tough to duplicate, and what a great time to do some home cooking.  I can't go to a big time steakhouse.  So I got a couple of 1 1/2" thick, Prime, 50 Day dry aged steaks from Pat Lafrieda's meats delivered to me.    Boom.  Instant big time steakhouse at my house.   I didn't sous vide them, guys you can cook great steaks without sous vide or reverse sear, you people way overthink it sometimes.   Best way to do it, or simplest, and it is the BEST way to cook great burgers.   I got a Lodge cast iron flat skillet.  I heat it to screaming hot on a simple gas grill.  You get all you want with the Maillard reaction, crust, without the flair up.   My pan is really well seasoned (seen a lot of steaks and burgers).  

Boom.  50 day aged prime steak from Pat Lafrieda's.    Side baked potato loaded with sour cream and chives, sliced tomatoes, a little mezze of pickled radishes (I love these almost as much as the steak) garlic toast and of course it is Asparagus time.    Joe Phelps Insignia.     I don't know if I have an Armageddon type of feel.   

Steaks, just salted ahead of time, topped with garlic butter and thyme and rosemary.   The meat was just so incredibly flavorful and rich that of the 22 Oz steak, I think I could only eat like 5-6 Oz,    Decadent

IMG_3258.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 4

I’ve been making dinner but forgetting to take pictures.  Sunday was Moroccan Braised Beef.  It’s really easy and good.  https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/moroccan-braised-beef-230639.  Last night my son wanted Arby’s, it was horrid but their Horsey sauce helps.  Tonight was shrimp and broccoli with black bean garlic sauce.

FF4961C8-98C9-4E4A-82D9-568960D923C8.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 1