• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@BKEats -  All of your meals look wonderful.  I am not normally much for tomato and fish, but the sauce you made with the snow crab looks lovely and light and I think I’d love it.  I’m from Washington DC and grew up going to the Eastern Shore and oddly enough, I’ve never tasted shad roe.  I think I find the idea a little scary and I’m not willing to order a whole serving of it.  I’d taste it if someone else would order it, though.  Especially if it looked like yours!  One question:  your steak and eggs.  What are the eggs?  It looks like soft cooked yolks only?  How is that done?

@liamsaunt – your salmon looks delectable.  I love miso with fish and seafood.  I have a scallop dish that uses miso and it changed a fish hater into a scallop lover in one meal.  @nakji shared it with me in 2008! 

@gfweb – lovely meal.  I love that perfect stack of potato slices, but the cauliflower is gorgeous and so perfectly charred.  What is your secret?  It doesn’t even LOOK like the cauliflower I buy.  What I find is so tightly packed that I can’t get that even roast. 

Tried a new thing in the IP for dinner tonight – cooking from frozen.  Looking a little gnarly right out of the IP:

IMG_1705.jpg.60e552ede523bde4c29965e683ad93d1.jpg

Sauce – soy, peach syrup, ginger, garlic, and a cornstarch slurry:

IMG_1707.jpg.82a4353ef0ab593b1ab0597ab45780e5.jpg

After a session in the CSO under the broiler with some of the sauce on top:

IMG_1710.jpg.06c132c8a3f06a4d21e6c3dbfb71388e.jpg

Looking a bit better!  Served with long grain and wild rice mix and some surprisingly good corn from Kroger:

IMG_1711.thumb.jpg.73f7e587d444bcf47bac15d08793c0c7.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg.1319e52d7a755b58e0bfa0cccfce3577.jpg

Dessert:

IMG_1713.jpg.a9735b0d07e212f970e5a397470dfb28.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

So, I was kind of drunk and had the idea and well, it's a wonderful idea.. I called them steggs at the time.. I was in my kitchen with a bunch of friends, in the before time... I had been running a steak special at my restaurant and would take the unsold steaks home at the end of the night and vacuum seal and freeze.  So, i have like 12 dry aged steaks in my freezer... But, I took a few egg yolks, some butter,  put them in a double boiler and just heated them up until it was warm.. I added some thyme, salt and pepper and poured the egg sauce over the eggs.. It was so delicious.   In the future, i would maybe add potato sticks to this dish, assuming I would be drinking again.. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/GTVp6GU

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Haha 4

@Kim Shook, it all looks so good.  Is it wrong though to just want the corn?

Pizza night.   I had a second batch of dough in the fridge since Tuesday.  Matt took it out of the

fridge around 2:30 PM so that it would be ready to use when I got home from work.

1457067318_MushroomandSausageApril3rd2020.thumb.jpg.4776ab766bd119903682d8c1adc3b0ea.jpg

This was Moe and my pizza.  Mushroom and sausage. 

1006943247_MushroomandSausageApril3rd20201.thumb.jpg.8966c98eb83668072fac6f061ef4f399.jpg

The crust was really thin, the way I like it but with a nice rim. 

• Like 16

46 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@BKEats -  All of your meals look wonderful.  I am not normally much for tomato and fish, but the sauce you made with the snow crab looks lovely and light and I think I’d love it.  I’m from Washington DC and grew up going to the Eastern Shore and oddly enough, I’ve never tasted shad roe.  I think I find the idea a little scary and I’m not willing to order a whole serving of it.  I’d taste it if someone else would order it, though.  Especially if it looked like yours!  One question:  your steak and eggs.  What are the eggs?  It looks like soft cooked yolks only?  How is that done?

@liamsaunt – your salmon looks delectable.  I love miso with fish and seafood.  I have a scallop dish that uses miso and it changed a fish hater into a scallop lover in one meal.  @nakji shared it with me in 2008! 

@gfweb – lovely meal.  I love that perfect stack of potato slices, but the cauliflower is gorgeous and so perfectly charred.  What is your secret?  It doesn’t even LOOK like the cauliflower I buy.  What I find is so tightly packed that I can’t get that even roast. 

Tried a new thing in the IP for dinner tonight – cooking from frozen.  Looking a little gnarly right out of the IP:

IMG_1705.jpg.60e552ede523bde4c29965e683ad93d1.jpg

Sauce – soy, peach syrup, ginger, garlic, and a cornstarch slurry:

IMG_1707.jpg.82a4353ef0ab593b1ab0597ab45780e5.jpg

After a session in the CSO under the broiler with some of the sauce on top:

IMG_1710.jpg.06c132c8a3f06a4d21e6c3dbfb71388e.jpg

Looking a bit better!  Served with long grain and wild rice mix and some surprisingly good corn from Kroger:

IMG_1711.thumb.jpg.73f7e587d444bcf47bac15d08793c0c7.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg.1319e52d7a755b58e0bfa0cccfce3577.jpg

Dessert:

IMG_1713.jpg.a9735b0d07e212f970e5a397470dfb28.jpg

Thanks!

The cauliflower is the yellow variety; it seem s to last longer in the fridge. I cut out the florets  and halve or quarter them and roast  them  cut side down on an oiled pan. 375 F for about 4o minutes, but it seems to vary with every cauliflower, white or yellow

• Thanks 2

Dinner04042020.png

Philips grilled red snapper.  Had not intended a photograph, but then I thought of @Duvel and was overcome with charity.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

45 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner04042020.png

Philips grilled red snapper.  Had not intended a photograph, but then I thought of @Duvel and was overcome with charity.

Credibility score +1 😜

• Haha 9

Tonight we had Chicken & Courgette Enchiladas... from a box. 

You know, those 'kits' you finally get round to using and are like 'oh yeah, I paid $8 for 8 tortillas and half a jar of salsa in a big ass box'. 

20200404_185928.thumb.jpg.14dc313fe3b12e85ba432e995694fb55.jpg

And yes. Obviously I served and snapped a pic and then went back and scooped up ALL of the filling, that fell out, and dumped it on the side of the plate. Voila!

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 7

13 hours ago, shain said:

How would you describe canned clams, compared to fresh or frozen? I'd expect them to be quite chewy. For which usages are they an acceptable sub?

I only added them at the very end just to warm them so they didn’t get too chewy. The pieces were quite small, I would not call them chopped, much of it was more of a minced size, in the future I might use them for a seafood soup or they might be OK in a fritter/pancake type of application. No comparison to fresh, and texture wise, probably marginally better than frozen. Keep in mind that brands may differ, these were Snows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

13 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

I only added them at the very end just to warm them so they didn’t get too chewy. The pieces were quite small, I would not call them chopped, much of it was more of a minced size, in the future I might use them for a seafood soup or they might be OK in a fritter/pancake type of application. No comparison to fresh, and texture wise, probably marginally better than frozen. Keep in mind that brands may differ, these were Snows.

Thanks, I actually always assumed frozen are better. I guess I expected them to be overcooked during canning.

~ Shai N.

Another 40 minutes and I am done for the day …. 2 scopes of work done and on break from a meeting.

Just started some potatoes boiling.  I am craving mashed potatoes so half will go to that with some garlic cheese; the other half are going to become the potato salad I grew up with.  Potatoes, minced onion, minced red bell pepper, thawed peas and a mix of Miracle Whip, celery salt and mustard.  

Back to the salt mines😘

...and red cabbage and applesauce.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Fried rice with chicken and vegetables.  I kinda overdid it on the veggies!  Veggies were cabbage, onion, carrots, mushrooms and snow peas.  So it's probably better described as stir-fried veggies with some chicken and rice!  (But it was good.)

fried-rice5.jpg.840f064d0e64b920bb2e775a52735113.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

6 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I have not tried them yet but I stocked up on three tins of Matiz clams (berberechos) from Spain.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have not tried them yet but I stocked up on three tins of Matiz clams (berberechos) from Spain.

In Spain, canned clams (or any canned seafood) is considered a dish of its own right, and - depending on the quality - fetched prices much higher than the fresh product. Berberechos are typically eaten as an aperitif, after being generously seasoned with Salsa Espinaler (or any equivalent). Usually accompanied by a glass of Vermouth ...

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 3

Chicken in walnut sauce, from the NYT recipe.

20200404_175424.thumb.jpg.84a4753d5ead0590f77901bb0f99ea4a.jpg

Not the best thing I ever made, but not bad. Should have thinned the sauce more. 

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

SV flat iron steak, charred broccoli, hash browns with onions.

I had wanted to make latkes, but my latkes suck. Hash browns, I can make.

So I mixed slivered onion with the potato and left out the egg and flour. A goyishe latke.

011.thumb.jpg.5bba01d4f73efd70456a5e5f244f8fd4.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Mix some granulated onion in with the potatoes.

Great idea! There were onions in there, but it could have been much more onion-y

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

i've used Penzey's 

granulated onion  and granulated toasted onion for years 

its not powdered   and i recommend them both

btw  they also have  granulated garlic

far far better than powered   

just keep  them  all tightly sealed

• Like 4