• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You have the best looking basil.

What happened at the meeting?

The meeting is going on at the moment, thanks.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

An “Indian” themed dinner ...

Palak paneer, prawn curry, yellow split pea dhal, raita, coconut turmeric rice with cardamom and quick Ersatz naan. All served on some plates I bought an eternity ago in Singapore ... lovely food with lovely memories.

517F300D-E167-4B3B-9470-567405CE1B91.thumb.jpeg.ee0d77df759a060e3afe26c741c7b95f.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Been doing this a lot lately in various forms.. Essentially, if you put those little heirloom cherry tomatoes in a pan with some garlic, salt, wine and seasoning or herbs of your choice and let those suckers cook for a bit, you can do anything after that and its a home run... Here I added spinach and squid and some hot sauce and hot peppers, thyme, and a shot of smoked paprika...   I could have added a pasta but, you know, I eat too much pasta 

Calamari with tomatoes, garlic, wine, red pepper, thyme and spinach. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

8 hours ago, shain said:

Holubtsi - cabbage rolls stuffed with buckwheat and mushrooms. Sauce is sour cream with paprika, tomatoes, garlic and dill.

IMG_20200329_222309.jpg

IMG_20200329_223103.jpg

Need to remember this sauce.  Sounds really good.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BKEats said:

Been doing this a lot lately in various forms.. Essentially, if you put those little heirloom cherry tomatoes in a pan with some garlic, salt, wine and seasoning or herbs of your choice and let those suckers cook for a bit, you can do anything after that and its a home run... Here I added spinach and squid and some hot sauce and hot peppers, thyme, and a shot of smoked paprika...   I could have added a pasta but, you know, I eat too much pasta 

Looks in my ballpark. Yes those sometimes not that well flavored tomatoes concentrate and transform so readily. I got spoiled by my Fresno farmers who come down for several markets. Mama won't let the girls pick the cherry tomatoes - says they are not gentle enough - the flavor!  And calamari is underappreciated. My fishmonger sees me and hurries to the freezer to get my squid. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The meeting is going on at the moment, thanks.

They should pay you for t he duration. It isn't as though libraries need to make a profit. They have the money budgeted.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

NY Strip, Roasted cauliflower, augratin potatoes

118.thumb.jpg.eb6d9416d27baa30b597b1b89e329c69.jpg

I even gave a like to the cauliflower 'cause it's pretty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

515869AE-4E01-4B38-A0E0-6F5E2489A539.thumb.jpeg.c63b5b19036f8bc10d5a7c9a30b21ef8.jpeg

Peaches and raspberries (commercially frozen) with cream. Might have been a whole lot better had I waited a little longer for the iciness to retreat. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner was an adaptation of a Jody Adams recipe for chicken with poppy seeds and pancetta.  I substituted Wright's smoked and peppered bacon for the pancetta and cooked the bird in the oven instead of the grill.  Served with comfort sides and cornbread.

P1070155.thumb.jpg.7d618afe8e2fcdae91f39d898c9fd87f.jpg

P1070157.thumb.jpg.daf20e993e01c036ebb9a2b3d9154407.jpg

• Like 16

Pantry and freezer meal. Had some shrimp in the freezer, not quite enough. Can of chopped clams, can of diced tomatoes. Sauteed finely diced carrots, onion, and garlic. Added tomatoes and simmered with dried herbs, shot of fish sauce, bit of sherry vinegar. Added the mostly defrosted shrimp, when they were done I added the clams with their juice and simmered a couple of minutes. Served with small shell pasta, cause thats what was in the pantry.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

24 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Can of chopped clams

How would you describe canned clams, compared to fresh or frozen? I'd expect them to be quite chewy. For which usages are they an acceptable sub?

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

50 minutes ago, Steve Irby said:

Dinner was an adaptation of a Jody Adams recipe for chicken with poppy seeds and pancetta.  I substituted Wright's smoked and peppered bacon for the pancetta and cooked the bird in the oven instead of the grill.  Served with comfort sides and cornbread.

Thanks for reminding me to up my poppyseed game. Solo poppyseed cake is nice but so much more to be played with. Really nice ones at Indian market.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

515869AE-4E01-4B38-A0E0-6F5E2489A539.thumb.jpeg.c63b5b19036f8bc10d5a7c9a30b21ef8.jpeg

Peaches and raspberries (commercially frozen) with cream. Might have been a whole lot better had I waited a little longer for the iciness to retreat. 

When bread comes out of the oven, husband stands over it counting "one thousand one, one thousand two..." and begs to cut it while it's still crackling.    You two should get together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

Grilled pork chops... I collect cast iron.. Here is a 100 year old Griswold Cast Iron Griddle.. I use it all the time.. It never leaves my stove top.. 

2HhKmBWr.jpg
sgEufTbr.jpg

Mainade of Garlic, Salt and Parsley Smashed in a Mortar and lemon added
cIWVN0x.jpg
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

They should pay you for t he duration. It isn't as though libraries need to make a profit. They have the money budgeted.

Update? We will stage a major protest if needed.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 minutes ago, kayb said:

Update? We will stage a major protest if needed.

Life goes on for another month (unless, of course, it doesn't).

Meanwhile dinner is red snapper, coleslaw, and baked potato.  If I can get up off my chair and make it happen.

• Like 7