• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

7 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

Flowers gift are so last century. now in 2020 it is fruits or veggies.

Got an invite for dinner with the card in a veggie basket.......what next? a hand sanitizer bottle for Father's day????

Maybe...For Mother’s Day?

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Flounder milanese with brown butter orzo 

1788943720_floundermilanese.thumb.jpg.a97ea9c14f34a68dc3cb38386d56eeae.jpg

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

The flounder is only be a dream but can you talk about the brown butter orzo, please. 

Anna's question got lost in the shuffle, and I'd like an answer too! I'm envisioning something akin to the orzo treatment in Tasty's Butter-Poached Shrimp and Orzo recipe that made such a splash here recently, but would appreciate clarification.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@DuvelWhat's the skewer material?  It kinda looks like a piece of sugarcane... but I imagine that would be hard to find in Germany right now...

I think the picture is a bit misleading. Thats the tip of a regular bamboo yakitori

skewer. I haven’t used any other skewers for the last decade ...

B6BC1FAD-86E6-4220-BE83-110E8DA57F32.thumb.jpeg.4978d7f673e4c52ed4e2a1d297be863b.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

The flounder is only be a dream but can you talk about the brown butter orzo, please. 

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

Anna's question got lost in the shuffle, and I'd like an answer too! I'm envisioning something akin to the orzo treatment in Tasty's Butter-Poached Shrimp and Orzo recipe that made such a splash here recently, but would appreciate clarification.

It was very easy!  I just melted a few tablespoons of butter and browned it, then added two cups of orzo and stirred it around until it was toasted a bit.  Then I added four cups of warm chicken stock, brought it to a boil, lowered the heat, covered, and simmered on low for about 12 minutes.  Then I stirred in about 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and let it sit, covered, for five more minutes.  Finally I stirred in minced parsley, salt and pepper.  That's it.  If it had just been my husband and I eating I would have done 3 1/3 cups stock and 2/3 cup white wine for the liquid, but my niece and nephew dislike the taste of wine in their food.  

This made enough for five servings plus a container of leftovers that I am giving my nephew with his chicken parmesean this evening.  (The rest of us are having salmon, but he won't eat that).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

Japanese Chicken Curry made in the Instant Pot

Can you point me to a recipe for this? Did you use the Japanese roux blocks?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Käsespätzle and fried onions served with smoked brisket and asparagus.

IMG_20200402_194535753.thumb.jpg.ce28a39fd001ba92f4962ca55c1ecfac.jpg

Last night dessert was a celestial brownie with Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.  I was a little heavy handed with the whipped cream but we suffered through it.

IMG_20200331_205212939.thumb.jpg.9ecb666335c5f7ad6f69f1d787341017.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

Made dinner last night at 11.. I had the pasta made a few days ago.  So, all I had to do with roll it out and cut it.. Put some frozen snow crab claws that I  had left in the fridge to defrost and removed the meat from the shell..  Added some butter, onion, tarragon, lemon a squirt of tomato paste and wine... Tthrew in the crab, threw in the pasta, it was delicious. 

49720767203_168bf1f2ab_z.jpg

We got home at 11 on the nose, dinner was ready at 11:22

49721618832_0055fdd59b_z.jpg

49720767188_dc8b025064_z.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Made kale, beans and porchops.. .The beans were soaked, then cooked with parsnips, celery, shallots, garlic, onion, cherry tomatoes, sherry, smoked, hot and sweet paprika, bay leaves, anchovies, sriracha, parsley ends, soy sauce, vermouth that was left over for over several decades I am sure... Cooked it all together, added chourico, removed it, sliced it, added it back... 

49640134243_1d867b70f1_z.jpg

49640984432_c5d5ee45d5_z.jpg

Pork chops were marinated for two days in garlic and parsley and salt.  Berkshire Pork Chop

Yeh, whatever, if you are in to this sort of stuff.. 

49640978942_4725e40ed0_z.jpg

The parsnips added a sweetness that was really delicious, replaced the starch of a potato.. I could have added a little more sugar but, whatever, it was good.. 

49640684601_e66bf07707_z.jpg

served with salad and a lot of shaved cheese:

49640982162_047df02dd9_z.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

12 egg yolks, a bit of flour, presto chango, it's pile of noodles.   Super wide guys for the adults, thin for the kinder. 

49530167246_6673f8b512_c.jpg

Butter and tomato for Jax. 

49529663313_2066bf9c58_c.jpg

Garlic and tomatoes in the pan, then wine, then a little smoked paprika, then some thyme,  then the mussels, red chile flake, black pepper and cover.. then remove the mussels, remove from the shell, throw back in.   

Throw in some extra pasta water if your son comes down wearing a brand new grey shirt and he isn't happy when you ask him to take his shirt off, so you have to run upstairs and try and find the most spaghetti sauce colored tshirt he has. 

49529262388_497a3008f0_c.jpg

Oh baby, i think this is the best noodle I have ever made... And I usually am really happy with my noodles.. 

49530392647_b814bf7e13_c.jpg

look at the coating on the noodle..  The kid knocked it out of the park.. 

49529664448_0cf0ea0bd4_c.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Shad roe

Strange as it's something i associate with spring but, global warming, strange farming, something is causing this,.. Soaked in milkv

6YZRLoC.jpg

bacon

iOXm56a.jpg

floured and cooked in bacon:

za86DAX.jpg

then i cooked boiled dandeloin greens in the pan deglazed with sherry vinegar

s5XtK3S.jpg

tied it all together

3ERjQOl.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

You know that nervous exciting feeling when you google an original idea you have only to find, you are just a commoner with commoner thoughts...

Well, apparently people have done this before. 

6sXzUm5.jpg

jJZ0Qra.jpg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

the pasta dough was so beautiful.. i surprised myself on that one.. it was so perfect..

49379531606_97a0f6735c_c.jpg

this wasn't a traditional italian american lasagna. there was not ricotta, no mozzarella, it was really delicious and really simple.. my favorite part was the crunchy parts where the pasta dough sort of got all crunchy... it was so good, eaten by kids and adults and not a single leftover.. 

I have a little more dough, may make again tonight

49379528091_5c8ff2e6b5_c.jpg

I love seafood salad, my father loves seafood salad.. it's his favorite thing..  When I was a kid and worked for him, I would stop at Bellinni around the corner from my house order their seafood salad for my father for lunch.. He then started having issues with raw onion, now garlic.. So, whenever he comes to a party of mine, i make him seafood salad.. onion and garlicless.. this time it had octopus that I boiled and then grilled. boiled squid.. the dressing was lemon, mint, parsley, olive oil and red pepper.. i added celery and fennel and chickpeas.  his eyes showed me he was nervous about the red pepper flake but he loved it.. .the grovery store around the corner from me sells octopus for 6.99 a poound, the octopus was 21 dollars, the squid was another 20... that salad killed my dollar average.. black olives i added at the last minute as i found them in the fridge. 

49379074073_e0166eecf4_c.jpg

lastly, i found this huge amount of pork at wegmans.. it was like 99 cents a pound.. I bought a pack... I opened like a book and stuffed with broccoli rabe and mozzarella.. then braised in marsala, onions, carrots, thyme from my backyard and some butter... When the pork was almost done, i took it out and sliced it..  reduced the sauce, added flour to thicken, hit it was some dijon as it felt a little boring..  served on a bed of spinach... I was shocked at the reaction.. it was a throw away dish for me.. i mean, not throw away but, i was doing it for the price and volume and well, it was so damn easy... 

49379538456_29d6d50b9e_c.jpg

49379736822_eaac77a49b_c.jpg

i thought the lasagna was my favorite but, i always love the seafood salad but, people were really going nutty for the pork... notice that little cube of butter up top..  anyway, dijon marsala, people like it. also, i added some toasted breadcrumbs to the top as why not. 

49379728982_eb6b079f8b_c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

30 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Can you point me to a recipe for this? Did you use the Japanese roux blocks?

I used this recipe as the basis of my curry.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-chicken-curry-japanese/

And yes, I used the roux cubes.

Hubby really liked it! No leftovers.

• Thanks 1

Made a pasta with our mekelburg's sauce... I love our mekelburg's sauce.  It once was my sauce but, i actually haven't made it since we opened meks so, now it's someone else's sauce and I forget how good it is every time i have it. 

A little ricotta on top.. Fun fact, i bought the ricotta to make ravioli.. But, I came home one night and ate the ricotta with bread crumbs, jax's canned pears and I want to say some sort of caramel thing or something... I barely remembered the experience until I saw the mess the next morning.. I think it was sleep walking to be honest.. But, yeh, so, not enough for ravioli and here we are.. I mean, I could have added a little swiss chard and pulled it off but, this is easier. 

49728374053_944222ac73_z.jpg

eggplant parm, homemade breadcrumbs from the before mentioned dessert extravaganza. The egpplant i layed on wire racks and covered in salt for about 6 hours... They were really dehydrated.. I then fried and put back on a rack.. I then broil with cheese and finally put on the sauce right before serving... The leftover eggplant, which was actually this from the prior day, was left out on the counter on a wire rack in order to keep crispy. 

49729237562_c688c73526_z.jpg

Lamb:

Cumin, paprika and salt:

49728388503_d940dc2fab_z.jpg

cast iron:

49728376138_d916c8e54f_z.jpg

I want to say it was like 4.5 a side and 1.5 on the rind

49728955266_9fb9fe4024_z.jpg

49728409393_fd5f563385_z.jpg

Salad of arugula and fennel:

49728919896_fedaa50207_z.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

Käsespätzle and fried onions served with smoked brisket and asparagus.

IMG_20200402_194535753.thumb.jpg.ce28a39fd001ba92f4962ca55c1ecfac.jpg

Last night dessert was a celestial brownie with Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.  I was a little heavy handed with the whipped cream but we suffered through it.

What was the dairy element of the comforting Spaetzle?

7 hours ago, heidih said:

What was the dairy element of the comforting Spaetzle?

Gruyere and heavy cream.  The cheese was cut from a wheel that must have had a little age on it as it had a much earthier taste than the shrink wrapped blocks.

• Like 1