• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

MinestraDiFarro04022020.png

Bugialli's minestra di farro.  Bugialli on Pasta (p381). Glass of V.E.P Chartreuse, for health reasons.  Not shown.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, heidih said:

Your sweet potato fries seem to have not only good color but they look of decent crunch. Your method? I've been served too many that are limp and don't deserve the "fries" moniker. Oh and the creamed spinach - a favorite comfort food. How done? We just did tthe standard Einbren/white sauce

The sweet potatoes came from a bag 😏 and were nice. But yes, coating with a bit of oil, salt and starch is the only way to get them somewhat crunchy.

Creamed spinach is indeed a basic bechamel (with sauteed onions and garlic, salt, plenty of nutmeg), rather stiff, and the thawed & drained spinach folded in. Then kept in the oven for about 20-30 min, during which the bechamel incoporated the water from the spinach and becomes silky. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Flounder milanese with brown butter orzo 

The flounder is only be a dream but can you talk about the brown butter orzo, please. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

sparrow juice

Okay, I give up. What in the world is sparrow juice? I can't find it on Google and I am left with the image of a tiny copper duck press. The only other image that I have is unspeakable.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Okay, I give up. What in the world is sparrow juice? I can't find it on Google and I am left with the image of a tiny copper duck press. The only other image that I have is unspeakable.

@liuzhou  always answers  questions himself,  but I thought I would jump in here and save you the horror of thinking of the unspeakable. E790F0F2-524F-4758-AD83-295361057EDF.jpeg.8ea31ff0281d3afa15fbd721db856fe0.jpeg

It would be the green stuff you see in this close-up. 

Edited by Anna N
Gobbledygook (log)
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Sorry! Asparagus! For some reason my son, when he was a kid, always called it sparrow juice and it has stuck in the family tradition. He did come up with others!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou  always answers  questions himself, I thought I would jump in here and see if he was a horror of thinking of the unspeakable.

It would be the green stuff you see in this close-up. 

What did you think it was?

Just now, liuzhou said:

What did you think it was?

First I think you answered me before I had an opportunity to edit my post and get rid of the nonsense that the dictation had interpreted. But I also think that you were perhaps asking @Tropicalsenior what his/ her thoughts were. 

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

First I think you answered me before I had an opportunity to edit my post and get rid of the nonsense that the dictation had interpreted. But I also think that you were perhaps asking @Tropicalsenior what his/ her thoughts were. 

Haha! I'll forgive you this time! I though for a second that I was being accused of inserting the dreaded GBP into my exquisite cuisine!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Haha! I'll forgive you this time! I though for a second that I was being accused of inserting the dreaded GBP into my exquisite cuisine!

I apologize for answering a question that was addressed to you. I try never to do that but just the thought of anyone imagining squashed sparrows forced my hand. 😂

• Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

I apologize for answering a question that was addressed to you. I try never to do that but just the thought of anyone imagining squashed sparrows forced my hand. 😂

No need to apologise. Sparrows are OK, but you don't want to squash them. Marinate for a while then treat like quails. 😂

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, shain said:

Mulberries.

You are hurting us with the mulberries. There are a few trees in the area but I can't get to them. Yours look plump and juicy. 

• Like 1

Did a deconstructed -Pork green chili verde

Poblano, tomatillo,hatch, onion, garlic/ sous vide tenderloin  2 hrs@137 (  I treed to sear on Cowboy charcoal-- this stuff sucks )/ yukon tator/ Quindilla peppers

49728404932_296b918d93_b.jpg

• Like 12

Its good to have Morels

Flowers gift are so last century. now in 2020 it is fruits or veggies.

Got an invite for dinner with the card in a veggie basket.......what next? a hand sanitizer bottle for Father's day????

nL3wnPw.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1