• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, Steve Irby said:

Yesterday I made a double recipe of cannelloni to distribute to some of our housebound friends and for the freezer.  I have used the same recipe from Cotton Country Collection by the Jr. League of Monroe LA for about forty years.  The filling is ground beef, spinach and a little chicken liver bound with eggs, cream and pecorino romano.  I make fresh pasta sheets to substitute for manicotti tubes.  The stuffed pasta is covered in a bechamel sauce then topped with red sauce.   I'm embarrassed to say how much we inhaled for dinner but the freezer certainly isn't going to have to work as hard.

IMG_20200330_115607237.thumb.jpg.5a8eb39b93d41a38713eea5b80c4123b.jpg

IMG_20200330_132159655.thumb.jpg.cfd93f0613189d8b56dca485e5231904.jpg

Sounds so good.  @David Ross gave me a similar recipe 13 years ago and it is still our favorite pasta dish.  The chicken liver addition is key.  I always have used egg roll wrappers as my pasta, but @Shelby says I have to get my never-used pasta machine out and play with it, so I'm thinking I have a similar dish in my future!  😁

• Like 6

Lamb stew for breakfast.

B86B55BD-5634-493E-8168-055F45C4F306.thumb.jpeg.0ea0342951a2677e674bd9e5444f7f62.jpeg

Toast with jam for dinner.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Today was the day. I was going to show you all I pulled myself up by the bootstraps, got off my arse, and made something for my family. 

In particular I was making a pretty little spatch cocked chicken with great attention to Crispy Skin.  

I have a routine on work nights. 

Cook the bird, take a photo, eat the skin, tent the bird, wait for Dad to get home

20200401_192458.thumb.jpg.f7609d95adeb45682331276c80a64409.jpg

The Kidlet followed the routine when I was on the Phone. Missed a step.

• Like 10
  • Haha 10

Quick dinner. Cauliflower with bechamel flavored with turmeric, garlic, thyme and hawaij. Finished with dukkah for serving. Labneh with tomatoes, mint and zaatar. Not pictured vegetables salad and pickles, tahini sauce, yogurt, which are almost always present on our table.

IMG_20200326_212013.jpg

IMG_20200326_212156_1.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

@liamsaunt – knowing you, I suspect that your beautiful applesauce is homemade.  If so, care to share your method?  If not, brand?  That is an incredible dinner.  Breakfast for dinner is a favorite in our house.  And I am decidedly NOT a cabbage person, but I would absolutely try that caramelized, delicious looking cabbage!

@CantCookStillTry – as usual, I need a double emoji option with your post – a laugh and a thumbs up!

Mr. Kim took pity on me.  Chinese-American food is probably my favorite genre of food – I could easily eat it every week – and I hadn’t had any in forever, so we picked up a bunch of goodies from Yen Ching, our favorite local place.  We’ve been going there since they opened in 1986. 

IMG_1679.jpg.1ee56412e5112a3f36caf3a345760a48.jpg

From 12 o’clock: hot and sour soup, rice and orange beef, chicken (lemon sauce on the side), crab Rangoon, and a egg roll.  Sauces:

IMG_1678.jpg.79501d3bb7674182e8ec32f1d1d93b19.jpg

I was a happy camper! And so was the owner – he was so grateful for the business.  Mr. Kim said that he thanked him for coming in a number of times.  We are trying to be smart about our finances.  I am not employed, Jessica has a job, but it is a new one and Mr. Kim is a state employee and there is a lot of talk about furloughs and pay cuts.  But we don’t eat out often anymore and this meal will feed us twice.  And, in a small way, it helped our neighbors and a business we value. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

@liamsaunt – knowing you, I suspect that your beautiful applesauce is homemade.  If so, care to share your method?  If not, brand?  That is an incredible dinner.  Breakfast for dinner is a favorite in our house.  And I am decidedly NOT a cabbage person, but I would absolutely try that caramelized, delicious looking cabbage!

It is homemade.  I quartered three pounds of Cortland apples (all I had in the house), and simmered them on low for an hour with 1/2 cup water.  Then I ran them through my food mill, added about 1/4 cup sugar, and a tsp. of cinnamon.  That is it!  And it was very good indeed.  I just wish I had more apples in the house for a larger batch. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

It is homemade.  I quartered three pounds of Cortland apples (all I had in the house), and simmered them on low for an hour with 1/2 cup water.  Then I ran them through my food mill, added about 1/4 cup sugar, and a tsp. of cinnamon.  That is it!  And it was very good indeed.  I just wish I had more apples in the house for a larger batch. 

Apples not peeled, I assume?

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Cordon Bleu with sweet potato fries and creamed spinach ...

Your sweet potato fries seem to have not only good color but they look of decent crunch. Your method? I've been served too many that are limp and don't deserve the "fries" moniker. Oh and the creamed spinach - a favorite comfort food. How done? We just did tthe standard Einbren/white sauce

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Double whammy here on the prairies - pandemic and snow!

Cooking and eating are the only things that will save my sanity!
Using the air fryer, I made a version of the Breaded spareribs we served at our restaurant as appetizers. Instead of cracker meal (soda cracker crumbs) and deep frying, I coated the ribs with eff and cornstarch. These were fried in the Ninja Foodie for 30 minutes, turning twice.

1736514571_AirFryerRibs0940.jpg.b25fa059db628c593f126105ee0897d3.jpg

To make our Sweet & Sour Sauce and to keep Weight Watcher Points down, I used sugar-free ketsup, sugar free maple syrup (added bonus of maple flavour!),  fresh pineapple chunks, thickened with cornstarch slurry.

1841528363_AirFryerSSRibs0937.jpg.33de9d6c14263fa2bdf37a6864c6e589.jpg

Stir-fried vegetable and brown rice with the ribs

1179850325_SnowPeas0939.jpg.aed2668d85edbc8a49019b3df82445d6.jpg

Cooking thru' the freezer for the next two meals: Prime rib steaks, grilled vegetable (on the Starfrit stove top grill pan because the BBQ is still under snow!) and wild rice / brown rice mix

1532758026_SteakandGrilledveg0932.jpg.3be9986d59a49c1d29fbae43511c0020.jpg

Lamb Chops, mashed cauliflower, and peas.

389557114_GrillLambChops0946.jpg.81c366dd2a0cd3b38997554244920752.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts coated with a mixture of whole grain mustard, sriracha, and brown sugar, oven baked. Salad of thinly sliced english cuke (marinated quick pickle style) and clementine, sprinkled with furikake.

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Breakfast for dinner tonight:

IMG_1684.thumb.jpg.39ab313702e1e6cc9f3c8c93208255e2.jpg

Apple sauce (not yours yet, @liamsaunt - gotta find some Cortlands before I can make them), pancakes, scrambled eggs with cheese, Smithfield ham, and slab bacon.  Amazingly fluffy and delicious pancakes:

IMG_1686.jpg.f94aa1188936fe2124d2af313d502b12.jpg

These were the fluffiest pancakes I’ve ever made, and it was purely due to having to wing it.  I used my regular pancake recipe, but we were out of buttermilk. I substituted some crema and a small carton of Light and Fit Greek toasted marshmallow yogurt.  They were really great. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3