• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

@KennethT  The spiral is how I've always made scallion bread. Lovely layers. This recipe  https://app.ckbk.com/recipe/chin64494c08s001r020/pan-fried-scallion-chive-breads

I guess the texture can be a little similar to some of the better scallion pancakes I've had in Chinese places... but I think it's more chewy which I think is a better vehicle for teh curry.  I can't see your article - I think it's behind a paywall as I can see it for a second, then it disappears...

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I guess the texture can be a little similar to some of the better scallion pancakes I've had in Chinese places... but I think it's more chewy which I think is a better vehicle for teh curry.  I can't see your article - I think it's behind a paywall as I can see it for a second, then it disappears...

Barbara Tropp's recipe from China Moon

• Like 2

Well, I've been daydreaming about @liamsaunt's great seafood stew, but this was not a success. It had trout, shrimp, thinly sliced chard, shaved fennel, red bell pepper, water chestnuts, potato (repurposed from under a roasted duck), green onion, cilantro, and added at the last minute, meyer lemon and coconut milk. The stock was canned with some bean soaking water, white wine and a bottle of clam sauce.

The coconut milk separated. Because of the lemon? And it wasn't an inspiring flavour, perhaps too watery. 🙁

2020-03-30-182203cropped1.thumb.jpg.4d280ddc3665a25f4da0d03b3b27e3e3.jpg

• Sad 4

Thai red curry chicken with the veg I had on hand...3 scallions starting to get slimy, couple of carrots sliced up, can of water chestnuts, some frozen peas. Served with rice. I feel like I’m living in the show “Chopped” at times...with a worse pantry.

• Haha 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Once again, taking guidance from @Anna N, I took my slice of leftover pizza (Fava, ricotta & lemon from Cool Beans if anyone is interested) out back for a change of scenery before I chowed down.

We took in the orange tree

IMG_2253.thumb.jpeg.a7121f1c495cebae27de2078b8e4ce5c.jpeg

And the echium

IMG_2254.thumb.jpeg.be1962c5b011b4d06e83f6e5b8896b3b.jpeg

Apologies for my failure to remove the original mint leaves and replace them with perky, fresh ones. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 12

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

Well, I've been daydreaming about @liamsaunt's great seafood stew, but this was not a success. It had trout, shrimp, thinly sliced chard, shaved fennel, red bell pepper, water chestnuts, potato (repurposed from under a roasted duck), green onion, cilantro, and added at the last minute, meyer lemon and coconut milk. The stock was canned with some bean soaking water, white wine and a bottle of clam sauce.

The coconut milk separated. Because of the lemon? And it wasn't an inspiring flavour, perhaps too watery. 🙁

I'm betting the culprit is the bell pepper.  They take over and ruin everything.  The bullies of the vegetable world.  😁

Dinner last night started with a salad:

IMG_1658.jpg.488e5578afb29d03f8721ea4d330a048.jpg

The other day a good friend posted some garlic toast pizzas on FB that looked good.  I had almost everything already. That was our main course.  Started with Pepperidge Farm frozen Texas toast garlic bread:

IMG_1659.thumb.jpg.84cd8be7ce02e7380dc9b29528fd96f4.jpg

Added some meat sauce from the freezer:

IMG_1660.jpg.6ae1951a78bfaea7aa40c8650e2f14ce.jpg

Finished:

IMG_1661.thumb.jpg.ddbc23c20c8e63808172af6b2e77684e.jpg

Mozzarella and pepperoni.  Mr. Kim had jalapenos on his, too. 

Tonight – oh!  What a surprise!  A salad:

IMG_1665.jpg.b45394026567452d69426d8b2775739f.jpg

With a nice addition of supremes of blood orange.  But that green dressing was a bust with both of us.  I’m going to see if Jessica likes it and toss it if not.  I was supposed to be a lowfat Caesar made with avocado, garlic, lemon juice, Worcestershire, Dijon, Parm, S&P, and anchovy paste.  We saw someone make it on “The Kitchen” on Food Network and thought it sounded really good.  It was not.  It was an unpleasant flavor and consistency. 

Found another steak at Publix for a decent price, so I did some sous vide again today.  It was a sirloin, almost a full pound for $6.  We split it between the two of us.  Two and a half hours at 120F, then seared in ghee:

IMG_1669.jpg.9ad214dac1859970b902053f17d76479.jpg

Very good. 

I did baked potatoes and an Ina Garten Brussels sprouts recipe to go with.  The sprouts were supposed to be shredded in a food processor, but I just sliced thinly:

IMG_1662.jpg.8e13cc19a51d5d80d6e61ef39a3bacc6.jpg

My food processor is in the attic behind big boxes.  Only Mr. Kim goes in there.  He could have another family hidden there and I’d never know.  The sprouts were sautéed (I used ghee) and drizzled with balsamic syrup.  I used Saba:

IMG_1664.thumb.jpg.cfaac01c77026ce7e80fbb1c47144354.jpg

They were keepers.  My roasted sprouts always end up mushy.  These were caramelized and charred, but not overcooked. 

Plated:

IMG_1670.jpg.262e1c213a6e9b6653bf066d0f3754a1.jpg

Some Brazilian cheese bread that needed something:

IMG_1671.jpg.07e757778ee725ae55f19f6b90d7cd3d.jpg

Maybe a mustard sauce or a brushing of black pepper infused honey?  They were a bit bland. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Ann_T said:

One of my days off so decided to make a nice dinner.

Uh?  I have never seen a dinner from you that wasn’t nice.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

The other day a good friend posted some garlic toast pizzas on FB that looked good. 

What a great idea. I’m going to file that for future reference.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Only Mr. Kim goes in there.  He could have another family hidden there and I’d never know. 

Are you kidding me? They must always eat alone if so.

• Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

No cook, tuna pasta sauce from Marcella Hazan.

1130039030_ScreenShot2020-03-30at9_40_28AM.png.0bc87794a61db9c0c5c90868d2ea9ceb.png

815080073_photo2-2.thumb.JPG.db9aeff72540a584fe9330746cf56a29.JPG

Divine.   

(edited to qualify that the sauce is uncooked, but the pasta is.)

that's the recipe I used. the sum of its taste is more than the individual parts. Many people cant tell it is tuna.

• Like 3

Yesterday I made a double recipe of cannelloni to distribute to some of our housebound friends and for the freezer.  I have used the same recipe from Cotton Country Collection by the Jr. League of Monroe LA for about forty years.  The filling is ground beef, spinach and a little chicken liver bound with eggs, cream and pecorino romano.  I make fresh pasta sheets to substitute for manicotti tubes.  The stuffed pasta is covered in a bechamel sauce then topped with red sauce.   I'm embarrassed to say how much we inhaled for dinner but the freezer certainly isn't going to have to work as hard.

IMG_20200330_115607237.thumb.jpg.5a8eb39b93d41a38713eea5b80c4123b.jpg

IMG_20200330_132159655.thumb.jpg.cfd93f0613189d8b56dca485e5231904.jpg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 4

8 hours ago, Duvel said:

Could you please elaborate on that ?

Base of ketchup, stock, onion, and tomato paste, with ground beef added. Seasonings of Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, cumin, cinnamon, pepper, celery seed, and nutmeg. 

Originated in New Jersey, but for some reason attributed to Texas. Lots of pizzerias where I grew up in southern NJ had them on the menu.