• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ive forgotten about tuna w pasta

!!! Comfort food is all over the internet now. Hello tuna noodle casserole;)  Surely cream of shroom lurks in your canned soup collection

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Last night's dinner.

973397800_LambShanksMarch27th2020.thumb.jpg.4aac60b999fff458dd9c475b5bb6f1d3.jpg

Lamb Shanks on a bed of mashed potatoes, with rutabaga, leek, broccoli and cauliflower.

Now I'm  craving lamb shank again.  Never got to making it last time the subject came up because the store didn't have any in stock.  This looks delicious.

• Delicious 1

15 hours ago, Toliver said:

Had mine late, as well. It was a case of #FirstWorldProblems. I only have my small freezer atop my refrigerator. I bought two Corned Beefs, planning to cook one and freeze the other. But didn't have the room due to a small Prime Rib roast from Xmas in the freezer.

So for St. Patrick's Day, I had Prime Rib and the fixin's (with my rub concoction and Martha Stewart's oven times and temps). It was superb. Once the Prime Rib was out of the freezer, I put one of the corned beefs inside.

This past Sunday I finally made the other corned beef in my slow cooker served along with potatoes and carrots, No cabbage because Walmart had jacked up the price to $1.57/lb, the rat bastards! >:(

I'd say so too!  Like how the price of one cantalope at Wamart today in my area is $3.79.  I won't have a cabbage and cantalope dinner.  You Prime Rib sounds delicious and I think a Holiday style dinner is just the ticket right now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

newer thought of getting Cream of Mushroom , nor Cream of Chicken

for casseroles 

I do have a supply of Bean w Bacon

that's going to be interesting.

I once knew a woman who worked in the Campbell's test kitchen over in Camden. She developed these sorts of recipes and was something of a rock star in her mid-century world

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Romanian bean stew. Peppers, celeriac, carrots, onion, garlic, paprika, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, dill seeds. Dill, parsley and tarragon. Sour cream. Cheat spaetzle (batter is cooked in a wide pan, sliced, and boiled - much less mess). Lager.

IMG_20200321_210547.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

We had burgers last night.  My husband and nephew each had a waygu burger and a hot dog from Heritage Foods.  

burger.thumb.jpg.716402cc4f0c30fff7bfd5ce8047cd31.jpg

My sister, niece and I do not eat beef burgers so I made us a quinoa-cannelini bean-chipotle chile burger topped with carmelized onions.  They were tasty.  The burger buns were homemade.  Waffle fries from a bag 🙂

1625246543_quinoaburger.thumb.jpg.07b62af68d7f600339c720f22b7b7310.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

What is Chinese cauliflower?

Seems to be some cauliflower / broccoli cross.

I've never see it in a quarter of a century in China! It's Japanese, apparently.

http://www.fruitnet.com/americafruit/article/178393/caulilini-coming-soon  ( Asian Market labeling )   I have also heard it called Lacey cauliflower...

Got a nice sweeter flavor..   Im thing of make a Bauga Cauda sauce to use on it

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 2

Its good to have Morels

Using another of the Granny's seasoned turkey breasts and a few shrimp - brushed all protein with low-fat mayo and coated with panko-shredded coconut mix. These strips were done in the air-fry as well as the chips. Asparagus is at a good price at the moment - $1.98 / lb.

800963877_AirfryersurfTurf0922.jpg.c50bea48609a6234e53a1de4797b121a.jpg

Finally went out to the supermarkets during the "Seniors Only" time, 7 am - 8 am, and picked up all we would need for the next couple of weeks. Main items were fresh fruit and vegetables, and the trout.

Slow-roasted Steelhead trout with fennel, citrus, and jalapeno pepper. Eaten with wild rice / brown rice mix, and stir-fried sugar snaps and bell pepper.

1375760811_SteelheadTroutFennel0931.jpg.934d172fe839c779c03ce295a633b101.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 3/27/2020 at 8:26 AM, scamhi said:

dinner at home..again. this time a Marcella Hazan recipe of pasta with tuna sauce. It is an uncooked sauce. finely chopped garlic, a can of tuna grained, one raw egg, 1/2c heavy cream and 3-4 tbl freshly grated parmesan. chopped parsley. with a Fontsainte Corbieres Gris de Gris rose

IMG_4124.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

Wow!   Thanks so much for this.   I somehow missed this Marcella concept.   I will do this this week!   

eGullet member #80.

Roast beef with More Than Gourmet gravy, Yorkshire pudding and roasted broccoli (which I've become fond of. Its sweet and nutty. Blanch in salted water for a couple minutes...dry...roast at 350F for 15 min or so. There should be browned bits).

004.thumb.jpg.0cc256e7c4e34c8e18f78bea16f6ba7c.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

6 minutes ago, scamhi said:

pan seared strip steak with sauteed broccoli

Beautiful picture! Lovely meal. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

After a Sunday full of chores and little house repairs I felt too lazy to cook - which happens very seldom, as chopping things up relaxes me after a busy day.

Thankfully, I had some frozen puff pastry in the freezer and a few no-cook ingredients at hand. 5 min prep yielded an asparagus & goat cheese tarte with bacon... It was consumed even faster.

7FED1F54-42CA-4B20-9D54-2FAA8374C8B1.thumb.jpeg.8732e032f14046b71e46576f45b34ca1.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

This is my recipe for an Asian-style BBQ Sauce.  I use it for ribs, but it works on just about anything.  Grilled salmon, wings, thighs and a stir-fry sauce.  The plan was to roast a whole chicken and glaze it with this sauce, but I haven't found a whole chicken in the markets around my area in two weeks.  But I'm using the next best thing-game hens.  Seems like people always forget the game hens.  I'll roast them, then glaze, hit it with high heat for a bit, then out of the oven and glaze again.

Sticky Asian BBQ Sauce-

3/4 cup hoisin sauce

1/2 cup ketchup

4 tbsp. soy sauce

1/2 cup Chinese rice wine or sherry

4 tbsp. brown sugar

2 tbsp. hot Chinese chili sauce or Sambal Oelek chili paste

8 cloves garlic, minced

2 tbsp. minced ginger

Combine the hoisin sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, Chinese rice wine, brown sugar, chili sauce, garlic and ginger in a saucepan over medium-high heat and stir to combine. When the sauce begins to boil, turn off the heat. Brush over ribs, chicken or seafood while cooking.  Serve extra sauce warm on the side.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2