• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@Paul Bacino 

they are Soooo nice

but so much work.

just to be a bit rude

my parents were teachers , and taught in FR and Spain

so long ago.   they had many friends

and one had a place in Normandy

it has central heating , but not that much more

we went several times to the Shore 

a 10 minute walk  away

and pick the barnacles 

and cooked them  right there 

probably a nice Chablis , but not for me

and crusty FR bread , stilll warm and crunchy from The Local

after one idd a whole bunch of work

the B's were delicous

I might have liked a small glass of the Chablis

no problem , Ive caught up !

glad you were able to enjoy such a Treasure 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Percebes Prep:

1 Qt water/ salt/ Kombu  Boil/  add Barnacles cook one minute.  AS they cooled I cooked Udon noodle in broth to finish after the eat.  These were very good

Wow what a treat. Where did you source them from?

24 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Percebes Prep:

1 Qt water/ salt/ Kombu  Boil/  add Barnacles cook one minute.  AS they cooled I cooked Udon noodle in broth to finish after the eat.  These were very good

49698717842_b76e2cb7ab_b.jpg

They look like elephant feet!

What do they taste like?!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Dinosaur toes!!!!  They're actually quite mild in flavor. I had them just simply grilled once when in the Basque area of Spain...

• Like 3

I wanted to get a chuck roast but they were out of them so I got a tri-tip instead.  I think it's the first time I ever cooked one but not the first time I ever ate one.  Back in 2003 tri-tips not heard of in Kansas, nor I gather, much of anyplace else outside of California.  At that time I was getting ready to retire and a friend asked me what I planned to do next.  I said that in September when all the other teachers are back at work, I want to send them a picture of me sitting on some sunny beach with an umbrella drink in my hand.  She said that she, Darrell and Joanie were going to be at Pismo Beach for several days in September and I was welcome to join them so I did.  One day for lunch we stopped at a grill and we all had tri tip sandwiches. Yesterday I also made some Swedish Rye bread and we had that with the roast. 

20200325_161815.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Maybe like a clam, slightly chewy, sweet, mild in flavor..  I cooked them in that pseudo sea water..  and man was that the way to go.  I had that briny taste for about an hr later and that was a good thing

• Like 2

Its good to have Morels

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Forgive my ignorance .  I just stared at those for like 20 minutes.  Do you eat the whole thing?  @Paul Bacino  Or anyone else that knows about these interesting new things (to me)

You peel the leathery skin off and eat the inside meat, using the "toenails" as a handle...

IMG_1934.thumb.JPG.3f06024bf86b3d0c294717c63ac1d7fe.JPG

I had this little guy in a restaurant in the Basque area of Spain - there were a few on the plate, but I remembered to take a photo after I finished most of them...  the waitress showed us how to do it (she didn't speak English or Spanish) - you peel back that leathery looking part in the middle, from left to right, towards the nail looking stuff on the right.  All that peachy colored stuff is meat to eat...

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Delicious 1

10 minutes ago, scamhi said:

slim pickings. Dry rub BBQ ribs but no sauce. Cherry tomato, basil and burrata salad.

leftover wine

IMG_9871.JPG

Looks good to me!

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@liamsaunt– while the meatballs and sauce look fantastic, the very idea of scallop boats has me dizzy!

@Ann_T – I think that being able to get fresh halibut is a good enough reason to move to the Pacific NW. 

@scamhi – really love the look of your ribs – nice smoke ring and an actual BITE! 

Last night Jessica came over and made hot dogs.  Served with slaw, tots, and salad:

IMG_1622.thumb.jpg.46d808dfbe338e588b4e3e363dc60d64.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg.ed3800c33e6baddfa43f0d3821b4fab9.jpg

Dinner tonight was sous vide rib eye steak, baked potatoes, collards, and cornbread:

DSCN0775.JPG.b171eac18fce3046872f2a64682f0eeb.JPG

This completely covered the business portion of a large dinner plate.  Mr. Kim and I shared it. 

Cornbread:

DSCN0776.JPG.9ed51b4ce03007fb89d77c4aff41ffb9.JPG

Dinner:

DSCN0777.JPG.3f3bcf871d601ff86019223643be9896.JPG

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

After much reflection, nothing appealed more for dinner than celery, carrots, lettuce, and tomato.  Served with rye crisps of the sort that last forever.  Washed down with sauce Momofuku.  When all else was gone I slurped the Momofuku with a spoon till shame forced me to stop.

I then switched to cookies.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Cut up a pork rib roast and marinated the slabs overnight. Made Char Siu for the first time in the Air-fryer. Turned out lovely and the clean-up was fast! Cut a piece into strips for Singapore Rice Noodles. then bagged the rest for another day.

2014065957_AirFryerCharSiu0914.jpg.a9f3b82afed104018f88be24c4bf303c.jpg                         

Singapore Rice Noodles

561835637_SingaporeRiceNoodles0915.jpg.1bf7c0531d949eb68e20cdbf90fcbe32.jpg                    

Cantonese Shrimp Egg Foo Young

917993624_ShrimpEggFooYoung0917.jpg.06120091ebccf3b6fc7bfbd4f5228bb7.jpg                                                           

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

When all else was gone I slurped the Momofuku with a spoon till shame forced me to stop.

There’s a reason to sometimes not post photographs. I am prepared to take your word for it. Whether or not @Duvel will is another matter. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Look it's not Sea-born Rhinocerous Toes but this place is helping me keep on carrying on, so I'm sharing anyway 😂

We got Pizza tonight from the little town. Trying to do our bit to help other people in more dire straits than us while we can. 

Please keep in mind this Pizza travelled some miles on the floor of my car and then sat on the side for a while before we were ready to eat! 

Me - Ham and Cheese 

20200326_201625.thumb.jpg.506658f2b73c6eb5d8a971c0637d3adf.jpg

Kiddo - Pepperoni 

20200326_201643.thumb.jpg.e566045eacede6dd88ac5fb5165c41f4.jpg

Husband - Hot & Spicy 

20200326_201607.thumb.jpg.3fc34a877db599fe46db25e2ccac4065.jpg

There will be leftovers! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CantCookStillTry said:

We got Pizza tonight from the little town. Trying to do our bit to help other people in more dire straits than us while we can. 

Please keep in mind this Pizza travelled some miles on the floor of my car and then sat on the side for a while before we were ready to eat! 

...There will be leftovers! 

At three pizzas for three people, and none of you high school linebackers, one would hope so!

• Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Turnip cakes. With dried shiitake, dried shrimps, scallions, a few spices.

Crepe rolls, flavored with five spice and chilies. Filling of tofu, onions, mushrooms, scallions, peanuts, fermented black beans, gojuchang chili paste. Half of the rolls also had some cheese and them, and were really good.

IMG_20200320_210527.thumb.jpg.67912a94062e7dc6fe5e19a94e2c4cf4.jpg

IMG_20200320_204430.jpg

IMG_20200320_204549.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 5

~ Shai N.