• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

56 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@TicTac, The recipe itself is pretty simple, but the roux is time consuming.   

I am not a big fan of fennel so not something I typically use, except fennel seed in Italian sausage.   I think that you could easily sub fish stock if that is your preference.

I am used to cooking risotto (constant stirring for 20+ minutes) so my wrist is up to the challenge!

Not necessarily my preference, but it's what the freezer spat out and thought it would work nicely...

• Like 2

Cold soba with shrimps, green asparagus and an onsen egg (SV, 45 min @ 63 oC). Warm mentsuyu added, as well as nori, sesame & scallions. Japanese enough to hit the spot ... 🤗

909FB62D-927E-4CFC-A205-71918F47C0D1.thumb.jpeg.aeeb59083a5571671f11dfcaadecb8f5.jpeg

01F00835-EDF2-45E5-A4D2-9B933154C041.thumb.jpeg.51f905ba4529dd873a37b4f2e9b805bd.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

Thanks @Ann_T - easier than I thought based on how good it looks -

Bet it would work/be good with fish stock subbed for chicken...?

Too bad I don't have any fennel...and I sure am not venturing out just for that!

The other day I did venture out for fennel.  None was to be had.  Made do with celery and carrots.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Tonight is Take Out Tuesday, an effort organized locally to support the suffering restaurant industry. So we're ordering pizza and salads from the local mom-and-pop pizza joint.

Should be here shortly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

oooh... I love percebes!!! Where did you get them?

https://www.tienda.com/products/percebes-goose-barnacles-se-100.html

I have had them from them before,  pretty good.   But again fresh from the sea would be better

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 3

Its good to have Morels

Cooked a bunch (around 2 lbs) boneless skinless chicken thighs on a sheet pan with slabs of red bell pepper and scallions. I had mixed up balsamic, dijon, minced garlic, and honey, tossed the chicken in that before roasting. The veg roasted in the chicken fat, which was good. I confirmed that I still don’t like chicken thighs, ate one tiny one and my husband played “human chipper” and probably ate over 1 lb himself, there are 2 left which I will freeze for his future lunch. Had some plain brown rice also.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Made a hot pot  ( my ceramic pots have not been cured yet, hope to soon  )  --  This is a chicken bone base broth/  Udon noodle/peas/braised Kale/ marinated shitake/ eonki/  chili paste/ white corn

49693693518_3de4bca926_b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

Cold soba with shrimps, green asparagus and an onsen egg (SV, 45 min @ 63 oC). Warm mentsuyu added, as well as nori, sesame & scallions. Japanese enough to hit the spot ... 🤗

So how buckwheat percent is your soba? I spent time with a Japanese Uber driver today who wanted to engage in soba discussion.

• Like 2

Dinner03252020.png

Masala dosa, minus dosa.  This time I served it with basmati.  The recipe is from Vivek Singh in The Guardian.  I like it so much I ordered his curry cookbook.  Cucumber raita on the side.

Why do I have two open jars of mango pickle in my refrigerator?

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, heidih said:

So how buckwheat percent is your soba? I spent time with a Japanese Uber driver today who wanted to engage in soba discussion.

I used organic 100% buckwheat soba, curtesy of a Japanese friend visiting last year ...

• Like 1

Thai yellow curry, with lots of toasted coriander seeds, coconut, lime zest, garlic, cumin, and tamarind. Cauliflower, yuba, marinated tofu, cherry tomatoes. Rice with toasted sesame seeds.

Carrot salad with scallions, peanuts, sesame seeds, chili, mint, tamarind, brown sugar and fish suace.

IMG_20200319_204829.jpg

IMG_20200319_203441.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Normally, Sunday night is pizza night. But what in these times is still normal ? When weekdays and weekends blend into each other in self-confinement, it is only appropriate to react with the outmost flexibility - even if it means to have pizza night on Wednesday (accompanied by the lovely “Peter Rabbit” movie) ...

Margarita

C19716F1-FBD2-4995-9BE3-890584F74735.thumb.jpeg.d9f453a92d1d004db56b7fec0ce3df86.jpeg

Italian salami & mushrooms

85151D80-EC73-458C-958A-E52083DC3265.thumb.jpeg.593329b2626a59adb3b462b095ae398a.jpeg

Four cheeses with black olives (served with freshly ground black pepper on the individual slices)

AE35C947-909F-42F3-B3C7-FF1EBFA1E977.thumb.jpeg.0550f97a44ac474cf410f40b865d089d.jpeg

I tried to stretch the dough completely on the working bench - and felt the crust turned out more airy than usual. To be repeated ...

9C6E6538-8455-4925-8308-FF362FD1883E.thumb.jpeg.f483eced3876a7789eacff530f4f094f.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 6