• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Of cauliflower?

It's a good feeling when the young 'uns develop a passion for something that's also good for them. One of our granddaughters insists on me making Brussels sprouts when she's here for a visit. Another is a fiend for kale, chard and any other kind of cooked greens. She loves to help me pick them from my garden (conveniently situated at their home out in the country).

• Like 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

46 minutes ago, chromedome said:

It's a good feeling when the young 'uns develop a passion for something that's also good for them.

Maybe I am old but the "eat it is good for you" was never in my house I was sick of beef every night and really enjoyed the side veggies best. Maybe they had white sauce in them (Einbren a light German roux)  but those are my  nostalgic favorites.  And grandma only used red leaf lettuce unfortunately doused in a watery vinegar, sugar, touch of oil dressing that mooshed the tender stuff. I finally convinced her to just let me dress my own more lightly. I was thrilled when I read Edna B Lewis's recount of their family dressing of just vinegar, sugar, salt, water on fresh picked tender lettuces.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 4

58118F95-8FB0-483B-850F-2E28D711CD3D.thumb.jpeg.5eae616c7d33fec099218a62c4dbf8f0.jpeg

Same old pizza. Different background. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

It looks like it is suspended in air.

You're right @Kim Shook, It looks like it is floating.

177895036_PrawnEtouffeeMarch23rd2020.thumb.jpg.99e66e0543959b77eb6efa984a7be370.jpg

We were suppose to have dinner tonight with our neighbours Barb and Clif. I had promised Clif that I would make Prawn Etouffee.

This has been a favourite of Moe's for many years, and became Clif's favourite the first time I made it for him.

Because we are all trying to practice "social distancing" I delivered dinner to their door.

It helps that they live next door.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

some oddly good corn that Mr. Kim picked up at Publix (he doesn’t pay much attention to the whole “in season” thing.  If he sees it and wants it, he buys it.):

I think our husbands are brothers. :D

• Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Sorting thru' the bottom fridge drawer = eggplant, zucchini,  bell pepper, sugar snap peas, mushrooms, celery, carrot; added slices of beef and supper was served with leftover coconut basmati rice.

2110046715_BeefVegwithBasmatirice0902.jpg.ced84a5486d8f7ce6ad4dd6a497acda2.jpg

• Like 9

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

My sons Dinner tonight. Small Curry (Chicken Tikka Masala, Jar paste) BIG rice. He had another full cup after, plain white rice is his favourite thing 🤦‍♀️

Pappadums done in the microwave because I am a Heathen (and also because its still, for now, a school night). 

20200324_185041.thumb.jpg.72851beeced1bd48c58d917f2297a9ab.jpg

Mine will look similar later. Without the rice, cos he ate it. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

A cross between Schupfnudeln and Alpen magrone.

Potato dumpling, with a Mornay sauce made of Swiss cheeses and some blue, fried mushroom bits with smoked paprika, caramelized onions.

Served with sour cream, sauteed apples (I dislike apple sauce) and strong ale.

IMG_20200316_210607.jpg

IMG_20200316_211326.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

10 hours ago, Ann_T said:

You're right @Kim Shook, It looks like it is floating.

177895036_PrawnEtouffeeMarch23rd2020.thumb.jpg.99e66e0543959b77eb6efa984a7be370.jpg

We were suppose to have dinner tonight with our neighbours Barb and Clif. I had promised Clif that I would make Prawn Etouffee.

This has been a favourite of Moe's for many years, and became Clif's favourite the first time I made it for him.

Because we are all trying to practice "social distancing" I delivered dinner to their door.

It helps that they live next door.

This looks awesome - would you mind sharing the general process/technique?  I have some shrimp out and will be making rice tonight - also just took fish stock out of the freezer....

Love a good ol' freezer organization/cleanout (though only got 66% done so far)

3 hours ago, shain said:

A cross between Schupfnudeln and Alpen magrone.

Potato dumpling, with a Mornay sauce made of Swiss cheeses and some blue, fried mushroom bits with smoked paprika, caramelized onions.

Served with sour cream, sauteed apples (I dislike apple sauce) and strong ale.

Looks comforting. I am SO with you on the applesauce dislike.

• Like 2

@scamhi 

nice . esp the Chablis

if I only had two wines , a white and a red

and could afford them , and let them age

The white would be a Chablis  " from a good year "   

possibly aged for a bit in The Cellar   ( AKA basement )

and a Zinfandel , also from a good year  , really aged in the basement.

I did accomplish the Zin years ago , w a price of no more than $ 10 / bottle

Ridge , Ravenswood , Kenwood , possibly some Clos du Val   ( a FR style Zin )

and the last bottles  of Zin , some time ago

were   20 and 22 years old.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TicTac said:

This looks awesome - would you mind sharing the general process/technique?  I have some shrimp out and will be making rice tonight - also just took fish stock out of the freezer....

Thanks @TicTac,  I have the recipe on my blog.  You can find it here. Prawn Etouffee

• Like 1