• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Well it would be a great improvement on eggplant I can tell you.😂

Doesn't have to be either/or. I'd totally eat eggplant and blood sausage together.

In fact, now that it's in my head, I can pretty  much guarantee it's going to happen at some point.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

@ddelima, that Feijoada looks fantastic. Mind divulging the recipe, please?

Thank you @Tved. You can get good guidance from this video: 

Although it is in Portuguese  you can get the idea. The secret is good quality smoked bacon, smoked pork ribs (if you can find them), some sausage that will maintain the texture after hours of cooking, time,  and patience. I highly recommend making it the day before eating as the flavor will improve the next day. 

• Like 1

Shrimp in brothy tomato sauce...sauteed garlic and shallot in some butter/olive oil first...some leftover prepared sauce that I diluted and also added a glug of sherry vinegar to...simmered together a few minutes. Served with steamed spinach and brown rice.

74C1E12D-F47C-4BD6-BBF6-AB467126ADCE.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

800gm T-Bone steak.  Cooked revers sear with a little Pecan smoke.

IMG_20200321_175523.thumb.jpg.c084863da0456817fe878e8479481594.jpg

I have been craving for a steak ever since watching episode 3. Season 2 of Ugly Delicious on Netflix.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

If you can eat it, you can beat it?

Corona! Corona! Corona!  

Found a Corona pulled pork recipe for dinner.

Corona pulled pork with home grown Royal Corona beans, Washed down with Corona beer.

Yes, forsythia is already blooming in my garden. Good days are coming!

According to folk medicine: Forsythia is used for swelling of small air passages in the lung (bronchiolitis),tonsillitissore throat, fever, vomitingheart disease, -------.

Interesting.

dcarch

1103140382_coronapulledpork3.thumb.JPG.b3e8c849b19c360effcbb1008f1b8771.JPG

736326603_coronapulledpork.thumb.JPG.7b85164afb222b50daf7e11a3422f845.JPG

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 1

37 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Beef stew, made in the IP.  Top round, potatoes, carrots, celery.

beef-stew-7.jpg.bcb3c68305ec8560584dabb7d0fcfada.jpg

I'd love that beef stew about now!  I have all the time in the world on my hands, a bomb shelter of ingredients (including carrots, celery, and even a tiny bit of beef), but in this pandemic I can't motivate myself to cook.  My mental health has not been good.  Tonight's dinner* is a can of Progresso Manhattan clam chowder.  And good I am sure it will be.

*or, if you will, breakfast since it is after 2:00 am.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd love that beef stew about now!  I have all the time in the world on my hands, a bomb shelter of ingredients (including carrots, celery, and even a tiny bit of beef), but in this pandemic I can't motivate myself to cook.  My mental health has not been good.  Tonight's dinner* is a can of Progresso Manhattan clam chowder.  And good I am sure it will be.

*or, if you will, breakfast since it is after 2:00 am.

It's difficult times all over the world. DO hope you will have good emotional support around you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Using up bits and pieces of seafood (pickerel trimmings, clam meat, shrimp) in the freezer, plus a box of cooked "PEI Mussels" that I picked up for $4.99 - Creamy Seafood Chowder.

1572053064_CreamySeafoodChowder0891.jpg.a5bead8df2fefe87862c79d09868a8f9.jpg

Salad was lovely and chunky, other than the bowl I steamed for the hubby who does not like raw broccoli and cauliflower.

944620950_CitrusyBrocoCaulifsalad0893.jpg.7e55c5ab1d0e0669d6b13ab97b45c7e0.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

22 minutes ago, Dejah said:

It's difficult times all over the world. DO hope you will have good emotional support around you.

The Progresso can of soup was great!

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, Dejah said:

Salad was lovely and chunky, other than the bowl I steamed for the hubby who does not like raw broccoli and cauliflower.

I am with hubby. Crisp yes, raw no.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The Progresso can of soup was great!

Cannot seem to source that brand around here at least not so far. 

• Sad 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1A4935F7-4A1A-471B-B4CA-DD6D589C7AD7.thumb.jpeg.0af3bff18bbd4a70838ea0563721f6c1.jpeg

Dessert for dinner. It doesn’t have a name nor a provenance. It is a date, apple, almond concoction. I had a Mutsu apple that was way, way past its prime, some dried dates which were getting drier and in the freezer the tiniest little bit of premade crumble topping. It was damn tasty.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

This whole virus situation has me even more mindful of using up all leftovers.  Had a tiny bit of corned beef left so made some hash.  Not as meaty as we would have liked it, but oh well.

IMG_7589.jpg.cb01b839951a2b6d0d163aacfc96234b.jpg

Mortadella and salami sandwiches last night

IMG_7590.JPG.50d8627dda0afe1968776eaa823f3f43.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

@Anna N 

I agree.  Almost anything is better than egg[palnt.

maybe not GBP's   .....

I thought those rounds on the Pizza  were Breakfast Sausages , cut from a Roll 

Jones perhaps ?

I have several cans of Progresso soup , on standby

the Dinners Ive just seen are an inspiration to me.

thank you all for posting .

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

1A4935F7-4A1A-471B-B4CA-DD6D589C7AD7.thumb.jpeg.0af3bff18bbd4a70838ea0563721f6c1.jpeg

Dessert for dinner. It doesn’t have a name nor a provenance. It is a date, apple, almond concoction. I had a Mutsu apple that was way, way past its prime, some dried dates which were getting drier and in the freezer the tiniest little bit of premade crumble topping. It was damn tasty.

My kind of dinner. Yum. Pre-made crumble topping? There's invention. The other night we had rice pudding for a late dinner. Due to what we are all becoming familiar with, that is the various shortages, we are very low on basmati rice. However my husband scored a few boxes of arborio and carnaroli, and since I always prefer those for rice pudding, , it was a slam-dunk. I've also got a reasonable supply of sushi rice, but long grain rice appears to be about as scarce as King Arthur Flour, at least in these parts. Besides rice pudding, the near future holds risotto and one of my favorite soups, which is a tomato and arborio rice concoction. Yes, we eat a lot of rice chez moi.

And like you, @Shelby, I have never been so conscious of not wasting anything. I am trying to funnel my anxiety into creative re-use of all edibles. It helps a little, but no more than most obsessions. And, like other obsessions, it becomes its own burden. So be it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Pre-made crumble topping?

Yes just make up a big batch and put it in a Ziploc and into the freezer. Very handy. I happen to like Jamie Oliver’s version.  No oats!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Its a local South Jersey brand. Reliably good.

I thought it was a national/international brand. 

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I thought it was a national/international brand. 

Made in Vineland, NJ.  With Campbell's in Camden, I guess SNJ is the soup capital

I thought it was international too, but you said you couldn't get it

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1