• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Fried rice.  My wife volunteered for a few nights at a homeless shelter and they had fewer people than expected, probably due to virus fears.  There was a lot of leftover food and they are not allowed to re-serve it, so he brought this home.  It was pretty plain so I added chicken, egg, snap peas and extra spices and soy sauce.

fried-rice4.jpg.63a9748d7f9ccf927e09590424cc87eb.jpg

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

30 minutes ago, Duvel said:

The first of the German states has announced a complete lock-down and it is expected that the others will follow over the course of the weekend.

As „going out for buying Mett“ will most likely not qualify as a reason to break the curfew, I decided to enjoy a Mettbrötchen tonight 🤗

6A84CE6F-7F2D-42BF-BFF5-E01A764D985B.thumb.jpeg.d6af8993d8ce812a0503b79ac8cd2d7c.jpeg

New to me.    Google says this is made with pork but your pic looks like beef.    Your "recipe"?

eGullet member #80.

6 hours ago, gfweb said:

Ew. How do you clean the cheese...which must be used for weeks on end

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/145670-food-funnies/?do=findComment&comment=2238484

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Earlier in March, pre COVID-19 grocery shopping issues, I made the Butter Poached Shrimp and Orzo that @Anna N introduced us to. Based on comments of other eGullet'ers about richnesss & balance, I doubled the amount of shrimp. Definitely a recipe that I will make again -- yummy!

104493931_IMG_5887-orzoshrimpbutterpoached-2020March8.jpg.5794ab3de9d0d14269ce848c1449d453.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Finally pulled these beef short ribs from the freezer and cooked them up. They were from my favorite family farm (that sold their business over a year ago). The ribs had been vaccum sealed and were in great shape - just the last of my beef from this farm. This was a multi-day process... defrosting in the fridge, searing & cooking in the slowcooker, cooling & defatting, dinner, leftovers (with Yorkshire pudding), and enough meat that some will go in the freezer for a future meal.

I had a lot of ribs to sear and like to sear them in the oven -- this was the last batch.

1036100418_IMG_5891-shortribsovensear.jpg.a8b737673e8380c0032efd5ebb473f7d.jpg

Saving the beef fat.

2118939827_IMG_5892-shortribssavethebeeffat.jpg.22b4d6fe68e8d24b6a6acb74f40bd79b.jpg

Short ribs loaded into the slow cooker.

418928497_IMG_5894-shortribsloadedintheslowcooker.jpg.2b19e78f2201e289ce52f75b6a1fb6c0.jpg

Decided to pre-cook (kinda saute) the vegetables on the same sheetpan I used for searing the ribs.

641988730_IMG_5895-shortribsprecookvegetablesonsheetpan.jpg.95808255e008a15fed53e0d313040703.jpg

Short ribs post chill, de-fatting, and de-boning, on the simmer for dinner.

1666629048_IMG_5897-shortribsdefattedanddeboned.jpg.772592e072fd9653afa9aa3af439a4cd.jpg

Short ribs and egg noodles for dinner.

1153395985_IMG_5899-shortribsandeggnoodles.jpg.27b206352bd6351cf5832cf08d727036.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

BFC6E889-9B77-4D37-83DB-38AA83383E70.thumb.jpeg.1cf57d76a554c1697a3243a20ff0ae72.jpeg

Roast beef on toasted rye with horseradish mayo. Not all that exciting on its own but this was served with a side of Murder on the Orient Express with Kenneth Branagh. I know. I know I should practice mindful eating. I was mindful that my dinner needed something to boost its excitement level. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Not much change in our "dining" routine.

Fresh cheese with husband's family dressing, essentially Russian dressing with blue cheese.

482397694_photo2.thumb.JPG.ecb19b3addcc2ac863531fe42a519077.JPG

Surprisingly delicious and well received veg: poached chard stems in light veloute with Parmesan.   Picky husband loved this.

1875868872_photo3.thumb.JPG.bbafbb16092710ff471bd77047a7cb01.JPG

Packaged lobster ravioli, simple butter and Parmesan

1518850044_photo4-1.thumb.JPG.bbcaf93de20c5b7725124c9fbd6bb15d.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

13 hours ago, ddelima said:

Brazilian feijoada

5DF3D668-1BCB-45AF-9370-73A9E681261A.thumb.JPG.7515cb3d35a8d3c795e85d648698c792.JPG

6E38FBC2-3A1A-4800-83C2-7DB52883BE12.thumb.JPG.1978ca5a94d5214ec83b7d4cea8ac33b.JPG

A few years back, I had several Brazilian exchange students in my university  English class. Our first class, the introduction,  always involves discussions about every students favourite food from their homeland.
I was intrigued by Brazilian feijoada, so I googled, and spent a weekend making a huge pot for the students. It was great and fed a lot of the students!
One of these days, may have to venture making it again.

• Like 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thai Coconut Curry Chicken in Instant Pot - Did the veg for too long at 20 min on high before adding the seared chicken breast. Much of the potato and sweet potato chunks "melted", but all good as that thickened  the broth.                                                          

.1957747676_ThaiCoconutCurryChicken0884.jpg.dc592b7672bc14bb21e67f3398553bdb.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Mushroom pizza...

Pizza03212020.png

Unfortunately for the picture I forgot the fresh torn basil.  Everyone but @Duvel may believe the basil there.  This was a three minute pie, a little longer than my usual.  Top and bottom were equally blistered.  The dough was one third KAF all purpose organic and two thirds higher extraction, lower protein flour.  The crust was to die for, which we all may do soon anyhow.

One of my best pizza efforts ever.

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, gfweb said:

Ew. How do you clean the cheese...which must be used for weeks on end

They usually scrap the inner well and add it to the pasta,

I guess a deeper scrap and rub with a damp cloth to be used next day.

It still is unappetizing and unhealthy for me.

Basically it is: Yuk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Nicolai 

there are many dumb ideas everywhere , including

creating something  thought to be trendy in cooking.

and then there are even dumber ones , in this same vein 

and then there is the pasta-In-the cheese.

that's a new level of stupidity 

Im sure someone will top it 

in the future though .

BTW , are you allowed to eat the cheese after the Pasta is finished ?

do they charge you by the lbs or kilo ( after weighing the cheese before service 

then after , and subtracting and then billing ? )

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Nicolai 

there are many dumb ideas everywhere , including

creating something  thought to be trendy in cooking.

and then there are even dumber ones , in this same vein 

and then there is the pasta-In-the cheese.

that's a new level of stupidity 

Im sure someone will top it 

in the future though .

BTW , are you allowed to eat the cheese after the Pasta is finished ?

do they charge you by the lbs or kilo ( after weighing the cheese before service 

then after , and subtracting and then billing ? )

I cannot remember having seen the pasta cheese wheel as an item on any menu.

I only saw the dish as part of either an open buffet or as part of an event reception.

I stopped doing Buffets long time ago since the time when Lobsters were part of the open Buffet and we killed it.

My experience is based on private events/cocktails receptions/dinners/invites....

The other item I dislike is the Italian Arancini.

Why would you want to stuff cheese in a rice ball. I dislike the dish immensely as tasteless and a chore to eat as finger food.

The other one I dislike is any finger food in a twisted spoon.....Why????

add to that Mini burgers and Tournedos!!!!!!

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

One of my best pizza efforts ever.

Jo, lovely looking! Were the mushrooms pre-cooked? Do my eyes deceive me or was this done in the CSO?

Edited to add: And what was the cheese?

Edited by TdeV
Add (log)

@liamsaunt, love the use of breaded eggplant cutlets, we have a local pizza place that does an “eggplant parm” or “chicken parm” version with rough chopped cutlets on top, the edges get nice and crunchy.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

4 hours ago, TdeV said:

Jo, lovely looking! Were the mushrooms pre-cooked? Do my eyes deceive me or was this done in the CSO?

Edited to add: And what was the cheese?

Thank you.  The mushrooms are not precooked.  The cheese is fresh mozzarella that has been drained on paper towels.  Yes, your eyes deceive you.  The CSO is wonderful for many things, however not for pizza.  The CSO is great for reheating any leftovers!

The pizza is baked on a one inch thick hard anodized aluminum sheet...

AluminumCorner09102018.png

• Like 5

3 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Eggplant

1522184448_eggplantpizza.thumb.jpg.8699dfc61c29a351cda615d31a7cdc22.jpg

I saw the picture before reading the title, and thought: „How clever, a blood sausage  pizza with parsley“ ...

Now you‘ve got me thinking !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I saw the picture before reading the title, and thought: „How clever, a blood sausage  pizza with parsley“ ...

Well it would be a great improvement on eggplant I can tell you.😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, TdeV said:

@ddelima, that Feijoada looks fantastic. Mind divulging the recipe, please?

We have a cook-off here  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/112893-feijoada-cook-off-38/  and      @johnnyd shared his process here in one of his blogs  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/73102-eg-foodblog-johnnyd-dining-downeast/?do=findComment&comment=997394

• Thanks 2