• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

12 hours ago, TicTac said:

@Dante - A valiant effort (and something I would never attempt, so I offer this feedback with full disclosure of such!)

I have eaten many soup dumplings, even from the famous Ding Tai Fung - and I would suggest trying to get your crimp at the top of the dumpling to increase the odds of soup retention -

Not sure what (if any) accompaniment you serve it with, but I would recommend either Chinese black (or pink) vinegar with julienne of ginger.

Thank you!   I really should try making them more bao-like next time, for ease of retention, as you mentioned.  I'll have to ask my neighbor for advice. She runs the local dumpling delivery/catering/subscription business.  

I served mine with black vinegar with grated ginger and sliced scallions. I should have mentioned that. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dante said:

Tonight's dinner: home made pulled pork with home-made bbq sauce, over grits. Aka, what I had laying around that I could make a meal out of.

I laugh, but I don't laugh.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner03162020.png

Maccheroni quadrifoglio with walnut* sauce.  Joy of Pasta (p185).  Quadrifoglio is notoriously difficult to shape and some pieces split.  Taste was not affected.

Quadrifoglio tossed with butter and then tossed in a sauce of walnuts, cream, thyme, cinnamon, and parmesan.

*in this case, nuts.com red walnuts.  My doctor tells me to eat nuts.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Just now, TdeV said:

Duvel, those pizzas! Is the prosciutto added *after* the pizza has come out of the oven?

Yup, after. It is very thinly shaved and quite delicate, almost sweet conpared to the rest of the pizza ...

• Thanks 1

Nothing exciting.  Almost the last of the sliced chicken breast from last week's rotissiere chicken. The rest of the chicken will go into a curry tomorrow night. Carcass is in the IP making stock as we speak. Mashed potatoes, peas.

1598640765_chickenpotatoespeas.thumb.jpg.239c6e2c010f461a790849a48a47a723.jpg

I'm feeling the urge to bake...something. Something sweet, I think.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Nothing exciting.  Almost the last of the sliced chicken breast from last week's rotissiere chicken. The rest of the chicken will go into a curry tomorrow night. Carcass is in the IP making stock as we speak. Mashed potatoes, peas.

1598640765_chickenpotatoespeas.thumb.jpg.239c6e2c010f461a790849a48a47a723.jpg

I'm feeling the urge to bake...something. Something sweet, I think.

Super looking peas.    Want!

eGullet member #80.

5 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Disappointing baked crusted chicken thigh marinated in mayo/hot sauce/panko,   Not BAD, but nothing to repeat

Oh goodness this reminds me of a Japanese market I used to go to regularly (Hawaiian influenced) At the beautiful fish counter they had some sample recipes and mayo slathered and broiled was always in the mix.  And now we are Momofuku Kewpie based dressing chanting praise. Interesting.  Is there a mayo board like dairy etc?

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2020 at 5:05 PM, rotuts said:

@Dejah 

and Im tossing an extra ""  trophy ""

Thank you, rotuts!

I love beansprouts! Stir-fried with green onions, bell pepper, and ginger and topped with shrimp

324605081_ShrimpBeansprouts0867.jpg.c5b409f2363fee9b5169cabe8be9bd79.jpg

Social distancing requires comfort food! Chicken thighs steamed with shitaki mushrooms, lap cheong, ginger, and oyster sauce. Hubby found the broccoli still too firm - more for me!

1742893144_SteamedChickenMushrooms0869.jpg.905e0614f6c4d9fb42380388714c43e7.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Leftover sweet potato, leftover Rancho Gordo Moro beans (leftover four times), stale bread (as in really stale).  Provolone cheese and salami purchased for work lunches, but work is not a thing that's happening.

My father grew up in Indian territory in the last century century before last, sorry.  As he used to tell me:  "Willful waste makes woeful want."  And sweet potato reheated in the CSO is not half bad.

Speaking of beans, it's amazing how Scanpan non-stick cookware cleans right up.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

stale bread (as in really stale). 

Get a touch of water in the palm of your hand, rub it over the bread, bread in foil loosely encased, toaster oven or whatever. Remarkable. CPR for stale bread. At least for me for many many years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

Get a touch of water in the palm of your hand, rub it over the bread, bread in foil loosely encased, toaster oven or whatever. Remarkable. CPR for stale bread. At least for me for many many years.

This was beyond CPR.  CPR performed three times.  Poolish proofing for fresh bread tonight.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Duvel said:

Pulled pork

I am not much of a fan of pulled pork but when you put a fried egg on top of it in the breakfast thread you won me over. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Dejah said:

Hubby found the broccoli still too firm - more for me!

I find there is a sweet spot for broccoli and yours looks like it hit that spot. I’m happy to take hubby’s portion off your hands. But it sounds like it might be a fight!

Your meals almost always make my mouth water. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

'Fried Rice' Mush. 

I was feeling all pleased with my pantry basic practise, bacon from freezer, an oriental fried rice packet from the depths of the pantry, cup of frozen vegetables, eggs, seasonings. 

Then my husband asked if I might want to save the practise til the proverbial actually hit the fan.. 

Might have a point. 

20200317_200250.thumb.jpg.a713d64b3b4ca13252603004903b005d.jpg

• Like 8